Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
I'm surprised after that last episode that no one has yet joked (unless I missed it) that we finally got the name of the Witcher's planet: Ceti Alpha 5.

Ive watched 5 episodes, good stuff.
Post automatically merged:

The fact that people who don’t even like fantasy genre films and tv series liked it, is a good sign that this show is going to get bigger and better in the future.

Hercules TV-series was massively popular back in the days. Yeah, there was Xena too. Henry is much cooler and sexier than Kevin Sorbo too.

Holy Crap.. 76 mill watched the series at least 2 min.

Mimi Ndiweni is damn hot, wouldnt mind to see something like her in Cyberpunk. She looked so good in the King's Throne Room, was there a party going on I think. Thats my high-light so far.
Post automatically merged:

So I watched it and I honestly like Witcher World much more now than I did before. It makes me want to play Witcher 3 again, too bad I own it on PS4.

Last edited:
Binged watched this about a month ago and it's really good.

My compliments to the fight coordinator. Henry Cavill looks like quite the swordmaster.

It was horrible show. First of all, all the stories in the books are horribly degraded in this show. For instance the forest parts and dyrads, the story which Geralt was captured by scoia'tael, dragon story. Seeing a black elf, dwarf, dyrad were weirdest experiences i had in fantastic TV show. There is no such a thing black elf, dwarf or dyrad in witcher stories . All dyrads have green skin. I hate netflix policy "include every race as much as possible and ruin the source material" Dyrads was extra horrible because of "amazon chick vibes". They dont use spears, they use bows. And during story line there is no information given decently about dyrads unlike books which described them decently. This producers also have to learn difference between fantasy dwarves and little people - people with dwarfism. All dwarfs in this show are played by little people. The people with physical disability. Dwarfs we know have strong muscles as well as thick bodies. So they can swing two-handed axes much faster and stronger than any other races we know in the universe. It was such a incohorence they've simply used little people. They've basically ruined all races in the book, evolved them something they are not.

The only cool sword fight was in the first episode. There was no such a fight in other episodes. Instead we watch Yennefer fighting against 5 armed to teeth man with sword and beating them which is absolute bullshit. Yennefer is sorceress not a mercenary. It becomes even worse when we see kiss scene between Geralt and Yennefer mid-fight which is most cringy part of whole series. In same fight there is even more stupid scene which is one of the mercenaries is trying to steal dragon's egg when there is a huge golden dragon standing there and protecting the egg obviously and as a result he got killed by dragon. Wow such a reasonable scene right? Guy is worse than Ubisoft AI. All these stuff only happened in one single scene and just imagine what is going on for the rest of whole freakshow?

They took all impresive stories from the book and made them inconsistent and cringe scenes. The casting is also horrible with few exceptions. Yennefer is so beautiful in the books that any men just fall for her. In the show she is just ugly. Yennefer is kinda person which will make people do the things she desires using her beauty. In show there is no such a beauty or charm for men to fall for her yet they fall somehow. There is same situation for Geralt as well. In the books, Geralt is kinda skinny but a fit guy and has an ugly face. And whereever he goes he is excluded from society for both his appearance and profession. In the show Henry Cavill is too ripped and handsome. It is impossible for any human being to exclude him. Obviously he is the most handsome guy in this show yet people react in a exactly opposite way. Besides, wig looks too lame and some times Cavill makes unnecessary alpha male noises like "hmm" "hrrr" for no reason. Shooting cool sword scenes dont make the casting great. Producers put a lot of inconsistencies and incohorences between characters and their interaction with environment. Another big dissapointment for me was Eist. How did you manage to make Eist total NR Nobleman instead of Real Skelliger. Really developers must be lit af to make it that way. Just compare the our noble dude in the series with Gwent Eist portrayal lol.

And also what a messed up timeline was that. None of my friends who didnt read the books had a lot of questions at the end. It was horrible choice. As a result people should start critisize this kind of stuff instead of liking any content they consume. Seeing all this positive comments on this horrible show are just driving me crazy.

Last edited:
It was horrible show. First of all, all the stories in the books are horribly degraded in this show. For instance the forest parts and dyrads, the story which Geralt was captured by scoia'tael, dragon story. Seeing a black elf, dwarf, dyrad were weirdest experiences i had in fantastic TV show. There is no such a thing black elf, dwarf or dyrad in witcher stories . All dyrads have green skin. I hate netflix policy "include every race as much as possible and ruin the original one" Dyrads was extra horrible because of "amazon chick vibes". They dont use spears, they use bows. And during story line there is no information given decently about dyrads unlike books which described them decently. This producers also have to learn difference between fantasy dwarves and little people - people with dwarfism. All dwarfs in this show are played by little people. The people with physical disability. Dwarfs we know have strong muscles as well as thick bodies. So they can swing two-handed axes much faster and stronger than any other races we know in the universe. It was such a incohorence they've simply used little people. They've basically ruined all races in the book, evolved them something they are not.....They took all impresive stories from the book and made them inconsistent and cringe scenes. The casting is also horrible with few exceptions. Yennefer is so beautiful in the books that any men just fall for her. In the show she is just ugly. Yennefer is kinda person which will make people do the things she desires using her beauty. In show there is no such a beauty or charm for men to fall for her yet they fall somehow....And also what a messed up timeline was that. None of my friends who didnt read the books had a lot of questions at the end. It was horrible choice. As a result people should start critisize this kind of stuff instead of liking any content they consume. Seeing all this positive comments on this horrible show are just driving me crazy.
I 100% agree with the parts of your take that I quoted; however, I will keep my response to you brief bc of posts that were more in detail but got deleted. Quite frankly, all the Netflix Witcher makes me wanna do is watch GoT bc I know that Netflix is just trying to make its own fantasy blockbuster. And watch The Hexer. I doubt Hissrich or most of the other producers/actors have either read or so as much watched Witcher game cutscenes.

I also don't like how they left out Dandelion's leering at Yen when they were tied to the cart in SoD, or leaving out Nivellen.

Real-world politics are against the rules. Makes no difference whether they're in a post or in something that's linked in a post. A couple of posts deleted.

I had the opposite reaction. I liked most other people but thought Henry did a bad job and really missed the mark.
Geralt is not Geralt with a British accent. There's a reason CDPR had different accents of the people speaking the same language. The ones CDPR chose were no accident.

So I finally watched the series.

Actually I watched it months ago. I just, had to digest it first. Come to terms with my sorrow and I lament what they've done.

I watched the series with two friends. I had to promise them not to squirm, shout, comment or in any way destroy the experience.

So, instead I had my phone ready, furiously taking notes on errors and what not(trying to be discreet). Today I can't quite read my furious scribbling.

No matter, within a couple of episodes, both my friends were commenting and squirming themselves, and finally I was released from my promise.

Christ...on..a...crutch.

It's bad. Beyond bad.

Now, I say nothing about the actors or the acting. I think they did a good job tbh...with what they got(I really liked Anya Chalotra as Yennefer). With what the actors got however... :rolleyes:

I also say nothing about the famous armour because...it didn't bother me as much as the...artistic creativity that was implemented.

Normal artistic creativity I support. I do. I understand book to film/series adaptation may/will suffer.

But the sheer and forced adaptations the makers of the series did...wow.

Off the top of my head...and my almost undecipherable scribbled notes:

Character changes, like Renfri, Stregobor, and Caldemeyr to Marilka. Eyck of Denesle is nothing like this in the books.
Just no. I don't like the adaptations and changes done to many.

Triss is tossed in to give a contract that Foltest gave in the books.

Foltest was exceptionally bad. In the books he was never embarrased or ashamed regarding his love for his sister.

Fighting the Striga Geralt seem unprepared(?). Like he's not sure what he's up against until he's up against a wall. In the books Geralt is anything but. Surprised at times but certainly not unprepared.

Cahir...my God...he's evil. A scheming mastermind, demanding obedience and authority. In the books he's nothing like that. Nothing. F***, he even bested Vilgefortz!

Vilgefortz use a sword sheath as a quiver, drawing magic discardable swords, losing them(?)! all the time, instead of using his cool staff. Until his nose starts to bleed. That means he's exhausted, you see.
To see him duelling Cahir...with swords...was just painful. I just don't know why. Why???
As if poor Cahir(book Cahir, not the asshole in the series) would last two seconds against Vilgefortz.
Not even Geralt lasted more than a minute.
Is Cahir better than Geralt then?
And no bullshit about they were "faking it because Yennefer was watching."
It was sheer stupidity.
As if Yen, and other sorcerers, would not know how brilliant and powerful Vilgefortz is.
The whole battle in fact...I mean mind-altering worms...used by Nilfgaard?
Seriously?

Regarding magic in battles. Magic is changed and it seems you can't cast a fireball without nature exacting a heavy price and you have to sacrifice yourself to literally become a fireball. What?

Also, pupils of Aretuza are turned to electrical batteries to prevent them from losing control. True, in the books you may lose control and go on a mad power trip/killing spree(Falka)but the battery idea was terrible.

Magic does not cause atrophy(as it does in the books) of reproducting organs. No, instead it's a ceremony and a surgical procedure, where a glorified ripperdoc(yes, or maybe even Dr. Steinman from Bioshock) "dive right in" to rip out wombs as it is "the price" you have to pay for change.

Let's see, more stupidity.
Oh! Geralt LOOKING for a genie in a bottle...by a lake...thrashing about in the bushes...instead of him and Dandelion fishing and accidentally catching the container. It's so stupid. And yes, I said Dandelion. Because that's the translation in all the books. Are they gonna change that now?

Instead of being a major expansionist empire, Nilfgaard, with all the correct scheming and spywork, look more like a zealot cult.
Again, I really don't give a **** about the armour, as compared to all the plot/character/world changes it's a minor thing.

I could go on and on...but I won't.

I will say this though, how can the creators of the series make a mess of such good writing? Yes, it's their choice to make, but still?

Regarding the analepsis and prolepsis of the series, it's even worse than Ciri's many accidental time/world leaps in the books.
My friends were very disoriented. So was my sister(who, in spite of that, loved the show).
One of them have played the games, none of them read the books.
Yet none of them didn't quite...get it.

I quickly understood the creators had tampered with a lot, and crammed four books into one season! Or is it five?
Who does that?
Sure, they give clues, Calanthe's comment on how long ago a battle was, characters being children in one scene, and adults in another. But I ask again...why?

Have you read The Last Wish?
Well, if you haven't, you should.
The book is sheer genius.
It builds upon folk tales, and Sapkowski making his own interpretation, making it his own creation. Grittier but interesting and believable.
It builds through analepsis and prolepsis, and the adventures that led Geralt to Nenneke's care in Ellander.
Every subject they speak of is on point, lays a foundation that gradually builds a world with believable characters and monsters in it.

Following the pace of the book would have been an excellent season 1. It. Would. Have. Been. Excellent.

But no, they had to force events from four(!) books in there. Change magic, change plots, change characters.
The doppelganger creature reminded me more of a Baldur's Gate plot and not something from the Witcher books nor the games.

Oh, in earlier discussions about character appearance I got perplexed. Yes, I am biased towards the games, I played them first after all, but I always admit being wrong. Now, could I be that wrong regarding characters appearance?

Well, with Triss I was wrong, interpretations and that. But Toruviel has "raven hair." The end.
Why not own up and say that they don't give a shit?

I say nothing about the acting or actors though. In fact I am impressed in that regard. And yet it saddens me of what could have been.
Hell, they could all be blue-haired for all I care, but they seriously made a mess of this series.

A mess that could have been avoided.

Wait what?
Sapkowski was a consultant on this? :oops:

And to think Sapkowski, once upon a time, didn't care enough about getting a good contract with a small studio called CDPR, only to realise his loss of income, years later, when CDPR turned their games into a success(also leading myself and others to Sapkowski's books.)
They settled a lawsuit because of that, even if it was a shitty contract from the start. A contract signed.
But it was because of CDPR and The Witcher game, the Last Wish got translated to English in the first place.
It's sad, really, that it didn't happen until 2007. The books deserved earlier recognition and translation.

But Sapkowski was a consultant on the series? Well, is he suing them for changing and altering his masterpiece?
What, they made tons of money out of it?
Oh, so it's fine then. :coolstory:

Toss a coin to your witcher?
Nope, not likely, I won't give a toss about the series from now on.
Will not watch season two. Time is too precious to waste on that.

The only good thing about this is that even more people have discovered the books and the games.
Sadly, my sister, and many others, will only learn of and know the series. A series that could have been so much better.
It's sad, that they didn't make it equivalent of the books and games.
I mean, they had all the right tools all along.

My two cents and a weight off my chest.

Last edited:
So I finally watched the series.

Actually I watched it months ago. I just, had to digest it first. Come to terms with my sorrow and I lament what they've done.

*snip"

"Sophistication has no place in the minds of the young.

Nor any who would wish to remain so."

(Me, in case you wish to quote me).

I've read the English version of the books. I could expound a great deal on it/them, but I won't (here). I don't bother with television any more (I think you can guess why, in part).

"So much for Art's purity." (Me, again).

Enjoy the ellipsis.

When will The Witcher Season 2 be released on Netflix? Hopefully I can beat all three games before it gets released!
I`d say you have plenty of time. Last I read filming of season 2 will resume in August. I would assume that`s barring any other unforeseen circumstances.

The show runner probably offered him a ton of money to attach his name to it, with the proviso that he'd say no negative. This gives Hisswich's attempt some street cred & deflection against the bastardizing & sleepiness of her show being called out.
Sapkowski was obviously hurting for money considering how he went after CDPR after so many years. So wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

Top Bottom