Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
The Witcher is getting a Netflix series

This may not be news to people following Reddit (i don't, but occasionally i do..), but this makes me somewhat excited.

Thanks to Dunkoro who posted this in Reddit.

The news

:what:

That was something I didn't expect.

Hmmm, games made into a movie or series are usually pretty crappy, no matter how great the source material is. I really want this to succeed, but I have my doubts that they can pull it off.

Ooooo! I'm so waiting that this comes out!

SaladinBarchan I don't know, but if I should make a guess, that movie is totally different thing. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Toyen;n8542870 said:
Why do I have a bad feeling about this...... :D

Because of that movie that has been on production since forever? Or because of that series that was... Well... Not that good...

Hmm... April fools went already? Right?

We can only hope now and see what happens :D

4RM3D;n8542350 said:

Hmmm, games made into a movie or series are usually pretty crappy, no matter how great the source material is. I really want this to succeed, but I have my doubts that they can pull it off.

I feel the same but as you say, "usually". I don't expect the standards of LotR movie, but it's doable. Also there's an outburst of TV series in the recent years and the competition is high, so Netflix picking it up shows real promise. Fingers crossed ofc.

SaladinBarchan;n8542750 said:
Wait, what about that movie that was said to be in the works? Is it in any way related to this?
I hope it's in place of a movie personally. A TV series would be much easier than a movie at portraying the short stories ... which are necessary to lay the ground work for the Saga itself.

Rawls;n8543050 said:
I hope it's in place of a movie personally. A TV series would be much easier than a movie at portraying the short stories ... which are necessary to lay the ground work for the Saga itself.

It's in place. The director is the same one who was going to carry out the hypothetical movie. I have the same opinion but I hope that it won't be based on the books. To many battles and invasions. Either you have an enormous budget (like GoT) or you end up doing a mess

If I recall correctly, intent was to make a movie, then see if somebody pick it up for series... yet seems like Netflix wants the series, therefore they will do exactly that.. I think this is the best deal, as other TVs would assess the ratings for the movie, only then approve TV series, which could not even happen... Netflix wants to have its own fantasy series, like HBO has, and Witcher is very rich material they can build on...

4RM3D;n8542350 said:

It's not the game series that will be source but books

Netflix did a phenomenal work with daredevil which no one expected. I feel optimistic about this. It'll be on par with Game of thrones :D

Guest 3847602

Rawls;n8543050 said:
A TV series would be much easier than a movie at portraying the short stories ... which are necessary to lay the ground work for the Saga itself.

That's my guess as well. Having Sapko as creative consultant does indicate adaptation of his novels and short stories are the most obvious place to start.

Top Bottom