Witcher series for Netflix confirmed!

+
Dant3s15;n8543230 said:
It's not the game series that will be source but books

But but but... *goes to the article again*

Update May 17, 2017: CD Projekt aren't involved with the Witcher Netflix series.

The article has been updated in the meantime.

Anyhow, books do have a higher success of getting decent movies/series.

its too early to tell, but i sincerely hope it ll be worth the wait and effort. the book saga is like a definition of a word cult for me, really amazing series with exceptionally wrtitten characters, for me its far far superior to titles like LotR or Song of ice and fire. oh, and i hope it will be at least R rated, and we ll get really grim world filled with human waste and backstabbin rats, with lots of tits and gore, just as we like, hahah.

oh yeah, and pls no political corectness bullshit, you know, stuff like: "Starring: Will Smith as Geralt of RIvia" hahahah

I wonder what time period will they cover ? I think of two possibilities
A: Begin from the Conjunction of the spheres and show us the founders of Kaer Morhen. The first witchers.
B: Bond between Geralt and Ciri and their destiny to be together. (The books)

Moderator: Topic transferred from Gwent to The Witcher Series General Discussions. We have an entire forum dedicated to all things Witcher. Please, make use of it. Thank you.

So. Much. Yes.

I really like this quotes:

“The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world,” said Sean Daniel and Jason Brown. “The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can’t wait to bring them to life at Netflix, the perfect home for innovative storytelling.” And "There is a moral and intellectual depth in these books which goes beyond genre. It is a story about today and today’s challenges, hidden under a fantasy cover. It is a story about us, about the monster and the hero inside all of our hearts."

Source: http://www.platige.com/en/page/839-The_Witcher_Saga_On_Netflix

Seems like they truly understand pan Andrzej's books.

B. Definitely B.

If I were doing it ... first season would be structured like "the last wish" but consist of material from both The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny where most episodes begin as Geralt talking to people in Nennekke's temple as he heals from the wounds in "The Witcher." 13 Episodes for netflix correct?

1. The Witcher
2. The Voice of Reason (part)
3. The Lesser Evil
4. The Last Wish
5. Yen - Triss - Geralt love triangle. This incident is only referenced in the books ... but clearly happened and is important to the story so I think should be included.
6. The Bounds of Reason
7. A Shard of Ice
8. The Eternal Flame
9. A Little Sacrifice
10. A Question of Price
11. The Sword of Destiny (part 1)
12. The Sword of Destiny (part 2)
13. Something More

Last edited:
saw this on IGN and smiled. I'm not sure about Netflix and the alloted budget but so glad Witcher series is getting notoriety. May lead to Witcher 4 :D

Rawls;n8545320 said:
If I were doing it ... first season would be structured like "the last wish" but consist of material from both The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny where most episodes
Nice list. Are these assumptions based on some inside information? Anyway, as for me, A Grain of Truth and The Edge of the World stories deserve entire episodes or should at least be included in another. Without a single doubt I would exchange supposed Yen - Triss - Geralt love triangle part in your list for an episode dedicated to one of this stories. By it's just IMHO.

Wanderlust_29;n8545650 said:
Nice list. Are these assumptions based on some inside information? Anyway, as for me, A Grain of Truth and The Edge of the World stories deserve entire episodes or should at least be included in another. Without a single doubt I would exchange supposed Yen - Triss - Geralt love triangle part in your list for episodes dedicated to one of this two stories. By it's just IMHO.
Nah, just what I came up with from the two short story collections. I like both of those stories but feel like they're not really all that connected to the rest of the narrative. The way I drew it up is (1) explain Geralt and this world in episodes 1-3, (2) delve deeper into his past through the stories involving Yen in episodes 4-7 because it's very important for the later sage, (3) portray the next two as Geralt moving on from Yennefer in episodes 8-9 and (4) tell the history of himself and the child of Destiney in episodes 10-13 because that will be the center of the story in later seasons.

If I was going to add one I would say make the Sword of Destiny 1 part instead of 2 and add a grain of truth after the lesser evil. If you must have both then scrap "the voice of reason" as a stand alone and have all of that story told across the other episodes as a narrative device. Then stick in The Edge of the world After a grain of truth.

So that would be
1. The Witcher
The Voice of Reason (part)
2. The Lesser Evil
3. A Grain of Truth
4. The Edge of the World
5. The Last Wish
6. Yen - Triss - Geralt love triangle
7. The Bounds of Reason
8. A Shard of Ice
9. The Eternal Flame
10. A Little Sacrifice
11. A Question of Price
12. The Sword of Destiny (part 1)
The Sword of Destiny (part 2)
13. Something More

EDIT To make it work Episodes 2-12 would all be flashback stories of the witcher telling his life while recuperating at mother Nennekke's temple. Episode 1 is how he gets injured and in Episode 13 he races off to find Yen and/or Ciri when he learns of Nilfgaard's first invasion.

Last edited:
Golden_Phoenix;n8546990 said:
If they'll choose Idris Elba for Geralt's role, that would've been splendid.

Please no. I'm really excited by this announcement and will purchase a subscription to Netflix for this one series alone, but if they chose Idris Elba to play as Geralt, I would immediately lose all interest in the show. Geralt was written as a white male and that's the type of person who should be casted for him. Having Idris as Geralt would be like having an Asian woman play as Yen. It just doesn't look right or work.

Rawls;n8545700 said:
Nah, just what I came up with from the two short story collections.
I really hope that TV show creators will follow a structure close to yours.

Rawls;n8545700 said:
I like both of those stories but feel like they're not really all that connected to the rest of the narrative.
I agree that A Grain of Truth is more like an additional story, but in The Edge of the World all this tension between races, crucial for subsequent books was presented for the first time, that's why I consider it as an important step in building the world of The Witcher. And also this story is a good opportunity to present Dandelion, so that at the beginning of The Last Wish, everyone already knew that he is an old friend Geralt truly cares for.

Rawls;n8545700 said:
(4) tell the history of himself and the child of Destiney in episodes 10-13 because that will be the center of the story in later seasons.
As for me, A Question of Price plot should happen kind of like in books, after The Lesser Evil. I appreciate how Sapkowski handled Ciri's emergence and separated it in time. I mean when Geralt asked for child of a surprise as a reward, he did not understand the whole meaning of this action. I as a reader did the same and did not pay much attention to that case and did not expect it to lead to some serious changes. I read further and almost forgot about this occasion, but then suddenly in The Sword of Destiny after so much time realisation that "Oh shi- it's that child!" was priceless. I really hope that in TV show this sense of real surprise will be captured. Even though for people who played Wild Hunt or stumbled upon some spoilers it will not be so unexpected.

Idk. I'm cautious. Sapowski is a dick and he has little to no idea about any media beyond books.

No offense really, I love the Witcher books and the guy is a hell of a writer, but I can't help but remember how he treated the games in the beginning in comparison to now. In the beginning he was all like "I'm happy to help with such a project", etc and he was working as advisor - dial forward 2 - 3 years and he was giving interviews telling people how the books made the games so popular and how the Witcher series can be considered a fan fiction at best. He was bashing them a lot. And he has no idea about video games or TV series for that matter if I remember correctly.

So I'm very cautious how this turns out to be, especially depending on how much of an advisor he's gonna be. If he will help as much as with the games (which means a bit in the beginning and then not at all towards the end) I feel it really depends on the directors and producers of the show to make it right. And that means they have to know the world of the Witcher properly.

Because while CDPR certainly had a few blunders where they messed up some world lore of the Witcher (mainly the White Frost and a couple of characters of the books) they did a pretty damn good job with the rest (characters and story). Considering they got little help from Sapowski that is pretty impressive. Not sure how good the TV series will do therefore. But I'll certainly keep my eye on that, Netflix have done some good series here and there.

Rawls;n8545320 said:
Yen - Triss - Geralt love triangle. This incident is only referenced in the books ... but clearly happened and is important to the story so I think should be included.

There is no love triangle in the books. The Triss fling with Geralt is only briefly mentioned in Blood of Elves, hell Triss hasn't even any scene in the first two books of short stories (she was only mentioned) and in my opinion her short fling with Gealt isn't so important in the book saga...(if it would be Sapko for sure would write about it more than one sentence).

Triss as character for sure is interesting and her relationship with Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri and hopefully we will see her in the series at some point. I think we won't see her in Season 1 maybe in Season 2 if it will happen...

Last edited:
Gilthoniel;n8549300 said:
There is no love triangle in the books. The Triss fling with Geralt is only briefly mentioned in Blood of Elves, hell Triss hasn't even any scene in the first two books of short stories (she was only mentioned) and in my opinion her short fling with Gealt isn't so important in the book saga...

It might have been one sided, and short on Geralt's part, but I would not say it is not important at all, at least not from her character's point of view. And it is referenced (by a jealous sounding Yennefer) in what is essentially the finale to the saga, the chapter about the Rivian pogrom, why bring up something there if it is so unimportant?
It was noon, when the sorceresses arrived in Rivia, within sight of the shiny surface
of Loc Eskalott, the towers of the castle and the red roofs of the city.
“We’re here,” said Yennefer. “Rivia. What a curious and entangled destiny.”
Ciri was excited and Kelpie kept dancing and shuffling on the edge of the road. Triss
Merigold sighed unnoticed. Rather, she believed it had been unnoticed.
“Please,” Yennefer looked at her. “What strange sounds float from your beauteous
breast, Triss. Ciri, go out and see what lies ahead.”
Triss averted her face, determined not to give Yennefer any excuse. She did not expect
it to work. For a long time she had been sensing Yennefer’s anger and aggression growing
stronger as they approached Rivia.
“You, Triss,” Yennefer mischievously insisted, “do not blush, do not sigh, do not drool
or wiggle around in your saddle. Or is it that you think because I agreed to your request
that I want to have you with us? That I was interested in seeing you spend a meeting with
an old love? Ciri, I asked you to go on ahead. The two of us need to talk!”
“It is not a discussion, it is a lecture.” Ciri dared to argue, but under the threatening
glare from violet eyes, she immediately recoiled, clucked and galloped off on Kelpie on
the road ahead.
“You’re not going to meet a loved one, Triss,” Yennefer continued. “I am not so
noble or stupid enough to give you the opportunity, or him the temptation. But just for
today. I could not deny myself the sweet satisfaction. He will know what role you play
as a member of the Lodge. He will thank you for that with his famous look. And I’ll be
looking at your quivering lips and trembling hands, I will listen to your lame apologies
and excuses. And you know what, Triss? I will faint with delight.”
“I knew,” Triss grunted. “That you would not forget, that you would take your
revenge. I agreed to this, because I was actually at fault. But one thing I must tell you,
Yennefer. Do not count too much on fainting. He knows how to forgive.”

“He knows what was done to him, of course,” Yennefer narrowed her eyes. “But he
will never forgive you for what was done to Ciri. And me.”
“It is possible,” Triss swallowed. “He may not forgive. Especially if you insist. But he
won’t fly into a rage. He won’t lower himself like that.”
Yennefer flicked her horse with her whip in anger. The animal whinnied and leapt and
the sorceress swayed in her saddle.
“Enough talk,” she snapped. “More humility, you smug viper! He is my man, mine
and only mine! Do you understand? You have to stop talking about him, to stop thinking
about him, you have to stop admiring his noble character… As of right now, right now!
Oh I want to grab you by your matted red hair…”
“Try it!” Screamed Triss. “Just try it, you vindictive bitch and I’ll scratch out your
eyes! I…”
The both fell silent when they saw the cloud of dust as Ciri galloped back towards
them.
They immediately understood that something was happening. Even before Ciri had
reached them.

Last edited:
Rawls;n8545320 said:
1. The Witcher
2. The Voice of Reason (part)
3. The Lesser Evil
4. The Last Wish
5. Yen - Triss - Geralt love triangle. This incident is only referenced in the books ... but clearly happened and is important to the story so I think should be included.
6. The Bounds of Reason
7. A Shard of Ice
8. The Eternal Flame
9. A Little Sacrifice
10. A Question of Price
11. The Sword of Destiny (part 1)
12. The Sword of Destiny (part 2)
13. Something More

I'd probably squeeze Season of Storms in there too. As for Triss...Her relationship with Geralt was explained pretty well in the third book. I don't think it needs any further explanation, considering that we already have stories wich deal with unrequited love like Shard of Ice and A Little Sacrifice.

Top Bottom