Witcher series sales reach 8 milions! (F*ck DRM Edition)

+
Witcher series sales reach 8 milions! (F*ck DRM Edition)

Source http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=888779

Total sales for Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 is 8 millions.

Previous known data was 7 millions in March 2013

Also some minor facts:

CDP has 51,2 millions PLN in cash reserve (around 12M EUR)

Witcher 3 will be distributed by 17 partners in 109 countries

Proves DRM is pointless... Great job CDPR!

I wouldn't say it proves DRM is pointless (I don't encourage DRM though, don't get me wrong). IMO what it does prove is that they did a good job at making the games and how they treated their fans.

It proves a good game sells well regardless of copy protection schemes. All games will be pirated, whether DRM-free or not. So in a logical world all games should be DRM-free: gamers will purchase and pirates will pirate.

If DRM really is a measure against piracy, and it doesn't stop it, then it is a bad one and should not be used. Therefore, DRM is pointless. There are many hard numbers supporting this claim. But we know companies don't use DRM to protect their programs from being illegally distributed. They use it because they are control freaks.

They said RPGs offer longer term financial gain. Seems they were right.

I wouldn't say it proves DRM is pointless (I don't encourage DRM though, don't get me wrong). IMO what it does prove is that they did a good job at making the games and how they treated their fans.

DRM is not just pointless, it damages sales.

I hope good profits will help CDPR to grow their development team and hire experienced OpenGL developers. Though I have to say I'm pretty happy with how VirtualProgramming are handling TW2 for Linux. They use an open bug tracker and really work on fixing issues. I won't be surprised if CDPR will use them as subcontractors to port TW3 and REDengine to Linux (but I hope it will be a native port).

Last edited:
They said RPGs offer longer term financial gain. Seems they were right.

Look at IE games, they're still selling. BG2 is often in the top ten at GOG.

I can see The Witcher still selling in 15 years, specially with multi OS support.

They spent $13-$15 million on TW3 production, and they spent $25 million for marketing? What currency is that in?

Are there sources for those figures?

Imagine how much more it would have been if they were US based.

In my opinion DRM encourage piracy, it "force" player that want to play the game legally to use it in order to bypass the DRM. I am against piracy but it is funny that pirated games are easier to use then the legit one.

I purchased the witcher 1 and 2 from gog and purchased those games as gifts to some of my friends.

Yes, DRM might very well encourage piracy. At the very least, it doesn't prevent it. But companies are more concerned about control than piracy.

I'm waiting with pre-order until the Linux version is confirmed. I'm not really sure about this concept in general though. It's one thing to do it for a crowdfunding campaign. Why would investor funded or purely self funded project do it however?

CDPR could go with crowdfunding if they wanted preorders. But this was discussed here before with a lot of arguments against (which I mostly don't agree with).

Last edited:
Top Bottom