Witcher - the movie - details released

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mak0r;n7302740 said:
even he said it is not serious but just a side project for fun to kill time. dont give it too much importance.

Point is, what director is capable of or not. When someone is talented, he makes even fun/money side projects look very good, for example master Scorsese. I don't think that he gives too much importance for American Express or Dolce Gabbana commercials but you can clearly see that they are done better than average ads

Gilthoniel;n2989972 said:
from the latest article about Mr. Sapkowski in Polcon 2016 :)

zdradził, że najprawdopodobiej wie, jaki aktor wcieli się w Geralta z Rivii w hollywoodzkiej ekranizacji w reżyserii Tomasza Bagińskiego. Zasugerował, że jest to znana postać oraz dodał, że do roli Geralta zgłosił się samodzielnie
http://www.kawerna.pl/aktualnosci/k...-sapkowskiego-wiesci-wprost-ze-spotkania.html

...he suggested he probably knows what actor will play Geralt of Rivia in the hollywood movie by Tomasz Bagiński. He suggested it to be a very famous figure and that he volunteered for Geralt’s role.

Mads, Mads, Mads, please be Mads.

Shavod;n2999712 said:
A few more details about the movie production from Polcon.

http://www.cdaction.pl/artykul-46394-2/wiedzmin-co-dalej-z-nowym-filmem.html

It confirms Mikkelsen is not going to play Geralt.

and there is that.... so Eva Green? :D

But I guess big names were never really in the race.

toudis815;n6942740 said:
New interview with Bagins -once again nothing new about movie: they'are not staying in a place, they workin on it, but Tomek cannot reveal anything yet. What might be interesting, when asked about receiving WFA in the name of Sapko, he confirmed that they are in touch a lot:

​"That was simple. During one of the meetings with mr Andrzej, because every one and then we see each other to update our knowledge - what happens to the books, and what to the movie - he asked me to receive this award, because he was just about to go to Eurocon, and he also came back from China recently. How much can you fly?"

​So two things now: 1. This time Andrzej wouldn't be allowed to say that he knows nothing about adaptation/he wasn't informed/no one asked him about anything, etc.
​2. I'm curious what books Bagiński was talkin about...

https://naekranie.pl/artykuly/te-fil...szem-baginskim
Colour me hyped now. Want to know what he was talking about.

Nice to see they're in close contact.

toudis815;n7197310 said:
New short stuff from Baggins (turn on English subs). Really good, some cool slavic elements, I'm starting to believe that if movie script will be OK, he's capable of directing a pretty awesome witcher movie
I watched all this shorts and I my hopes are built on his work here. Still, I think no short now can be better than Twardowski. :p

Sephira;n7460440 said:
Still, I think no short now can be better than Twardowski. :p

I'm also huge fan of Twardowski, but in my case it's mostly because I think that lead (Więckiewicz) is no1 actor in Poland and it was cool to see him doing something funny for a change, instead of one another drama

toudis815;n7462490 said:
I'm also huge fan of Twardowski, but in my case it's mostly because I think that lead (Więckiewicz) is no1 actor in Poland and it was cool to see him doing something funny for a change, instead of one another drama
Nice sneak peek at the end of Jaga tho :D

Sorry, I don't have time to read through the thread right now, but is Sapkowski working with the director as an advisor at all? If not I can see this film being the same failure as the old Witcher TV series.

Am I the only one who thinks this movie is totally going to be cancelled? They're taking way too long to start shooting the movie.

Irae0;n7508220 said:
Am I the only one who thinks this movie is totally going to be cancelled? They're taking way too long to start shooting the movie.

A few months ago Sapkowski revealed that he was told who was chosen for Geralt at Polcon 2016. I think it was something around August or September. I mean, it's some progress at least. But in any case, this slowness at the production could, at the very worst, in my opinion, result only in a postponement of the movie release.

Furthermore, think of Sean Daniel Company. They were recently working on Ben-Hur last year and they currently have their attention headed towards the new Mummy film, two big-budget productions. Those have been being their priorities right now, so it's not like Baginski and Platige Image could push the movie forward immediately to them, but in the other hand that doesn't mean SDC is going to disregard it completely neither. Maybe Baginski was a bit overhyped about himself at foreseeing a 2017 release date without taking SDC's other projects into account.

I don't believe that an adaptation from two short-stories such as "The Witcher" and "The Lesser Evil" would require a big and complex production. Even if they wanted to include some other parts of the book, like "The Voice of Reason" passages (which I think would fit perfectly and enhance the flow of the plot), there are not much laborious elements to include in the movie other than three or four different sets with a medieval characterization, one single monster (a striga) and three or five use of simple signs. And, most importantly, there are not much characters in those short-stories to build a cast upon, especially relevant ones other than Geralt, King Foltest, Adda and Renfri (and maybe Nenneke and Iola). All of that in a 120 to 150 minutes of length, it's perfectly fine for an estimated $30 to $40 million budget, without losing any of the quality for a desired box office success.

I admit that this silence on providing any info is awkard, but on the other hand I don't see any reasons to believe that this project is not good on its concept. Moreover, it's known that they, Platige Image, had been recently working on a series of live action short-movies directed by Tomasz Baginski about some Polish legends that were released on YouTube. Perhaps that has been a way to focus on how they plan to go with the movie by teasing it with some minor works, at least for themselves, thus all this apparent lack of news. It's not like they're completely innactive.

Just so we don't feel empty handed about any cast announcement, take a look at this short-film from 2014, produced by Platige Image and directed by Baginski: Ambition. It is starred by Aisling Franciosi and Aidan Gillen. Both are English speaking actors and appeared in Game of Thrones (as Lyanna Stark and Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish, respectively). The latter also starred in Quantum Break as the main villain, Paul Serene.

Given that The Witcher movie is said to be also English spoken, I'd not be surprised if both were cast as, respectively, King Foltest and Renfri (or Adda, after her curse is lifted, but that would make for an technically insignificant appearance, like what, 1 minute?, so that I prefer to stick with Renfri). Even more exciting is that, given this somewhat apparent proximity with Game of Thrones by casting two actors from it, I'd be even less surprised if that meant they've cast the so requested Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to play the role of Geralt.

Eredin_Breacc_Glas;n2738953 said:

There are some straight-up dead-ringers in there. Especially in the first half and towards the end.

Mhmmm. Fine.

But I suppose everyone's got a dream cast.

Mine:
Geralt: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Yennifer: Lena Headey (Yeah, ironic, I know, but she'd make the perfect bitchy sorceress)
Triss: Natalie Dormer
Dandelion: Russell Brand
Ciri: Keira Knightley
Foltest: Rufus Sewell
Crach: Hugo Weaving
Lambert: James McAvoy
Eskel: Karl Urban
Bloody Baron: Mark Addy
Phillipa: Emily Blunt
Djikstra: Vinnie Jones
Vesemir: Malcolm McDowell
Ivoreth: Iwan Rheon
Vernon Roche: Guy Pearce
Emhyr Var Emries: Charles Dance (He already nailed it in W3)
Avallac'h: Tom Hiddleston
Eredin: Tom Hardy

Of course with a cast like that it would be the most expensive movie ever filmed.

Last edited:
4s4sin96;n7950400 said:
Pretty sure this movie will be cancelled
Don't say that.

Platige and SDC both still have the title on the front page of their websites, and I'm doubtful they'd have it their if they were cancelling it.

A movie can be cancelled even when its in final production stages, the best bet to get some new info however is at SDCC.

4s4sin96;n7955450 said:
A movie can be cancelled even when its in final production stages, the best bet to get some new info however is at SDCC.

Why does it look sure the movie is going to be cancelled, though?

sv3672;n7963830 said:
Why does it look sure the movie is going to be cancelled, though?

Because its hard to make a movie like The Witcher. Yes, they have the story from the books, but still, they need a shooting place, good actors, and its quite hard with 30 mil $

4s4sin96;n7965950 said:
Because its hard to make a movie like The Witcher. Yes, they have the story from the books, but still, they need a shooting place, good actors, and its quite hard with 30 mil $
There have been great, even spectacular movies made with smaller budgets.

Irae0;n7508220 said:

I'm glad it would be Netflix series.

Fairly late to the party as far as playing Witcher goes, bought TW1 1 about 8 years ago but never played it because I got caught up in Mass Effect Trilogy. After buying MEA and totally hating it, I played TW1 and really enjoyed it, now on TW3 and blown away by it, the depth of story, the characters, the scenery (I go everywhere on foot because the detail is amazing). I was just thinking how great it would be if the folks responsible for GoT took this on and did it as a series rather than a film. I believe the budget for Series 1 of GoT was quite low as no one expected it to achieve the level of success it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom