Witcher - the movie - details released

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Witcher - the movie - details released

"The Sean Daniel Company [SDC], an established American production company - known for ‘The Mummy’ franchise, a new adaptation of ‘Ben-Hur’, which is currently in production, or the television series ‘The Expanse’ – has become Platige Films’ official partner in the preparation of the production of a full-length feature film about Geralt the witcher, the hero of Andrzej Sapkowski’s novels. The film will be based on themes from the short stories ‘The Witcher’ and ‘Lesser Evil’ from ‘The Last Wish’ collection. Tomasz Bagiński, who had been nominated for an Oscar for his film, ‘The Cathedral’, will be the director.

The film will be an introduction to the Witcher’s world and is planned to be the beginning of a series. Thania St. John, an experienced Hollywood scriptwriter, author of such television productions as ‘Grimm’, ‘Chicago Fire’ and ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, is working on the script as well as on its film and television continuation.

The film is intended for international distribution, its world premiere is planned for 2017. Jarosław Sawko and Piotr Sikora will be the producers from Platige Films’ side and Sean Daniel and Jason Brown from the SDC’s side."

Source: http://www.platige.com/en/films/
Wow!

What is strange they start with 7th and 2nd chronological short stories... How will they show previous stories in next movies?
An yeah, the scriptwriter and the production company have very bad history. Looks like we will see PG12 slasher :/

Last edited:
The Mummy, Grimm, Buffy... this certainly has the potential to become trashy and quite horrible.

Mmmmmmhm....

I can only hope for the best, but I'm wary.

Also, judging by the article, they plan on making a film series, as well as a TV series? Interested to get more info on that.

Thania St. John [...] is working on the script as well as on its film and television continuation.

CDPR is not involved at all apparently. This looks a bit too "opportunistic" to me.

Who is the publisher of this development? It would probably determine if we'll ever see the DRM-free release of this film.

Does "production company" mean those who fund the production, or those who actually do it?

Last edited:
The quality of the film depends only on the director and screenwriter. SDC should provide primarily the relevant technical support.

I wonder whether the screenwriter knows the saga?

Repeat after me:
It's going to be terrible.
I can't even look at my own children.
This is an awful adaptation.
God Sapkowski has dug his own grave
Just so he can turn in it
Drink whenever Geralt flourishes his hair
Drink when there's a deviation from the plot
Drink when you're sad that this monstrousity is real
Now cry yourself to sleep.

You probably feel thoroughly prepared for whatever's to come now. May this anthem stay with you until 2017 and beyond, dear people.

It's still the Platige movie that everyone seemed to be pretty happy about 9 months ago. Still the same director.

Which still is a silver lining. But a director can only do so much with requirements set by the production company and a screenwriter that has a less-than-stellar track record.

Repeat after me:
I can't even look at my own children.
This is an awful adaptation.
God Sapkowski has dug his own grave
Just so he can turn in it
Drink whenever Geralt flourishes his hair
Drink when there's a deviation from the plot
Drink when you're sad that this monstrousity is real
Now cry yourself to sleep.

You probably feel thoroughly prepared for whatever's to come now. May this anthem stay with you until 2017 and beyond, dear people.
My mantra. Thanks.

We'll see. I don't think Tomek Bagiński and Platige Image would want to make a crap or be involved in the process.
Stay cool.

"The Witcher" and "The Lesser Evil"? That's... a weird choice. I wonder how they're planning to make a whole movie out of this.

"The Witcher" and "The Lesser Evil"? That's... a weird choice. I wonder how they're planning to make a whole movie out of this.
Actually these short stories are the best to make a single movie because they are barely plot-tied with the others. Only the two of them. As I said some time ago.

The Lesser Evil, The Witcher, The Voice of Reason could work but you have to add other stories for the third to have sense (flashbacks indeed) and there's not enough time.

Actually these short stories are the best to make a single movie because they are barely plot-tied with the others. Only the two of them.

I was thinking that as well. The major themes would be the genuine world building and the conflicts Geralt face in day to day life -- I think that best sums up the whole series. If there was anything else added in there, it wouldn't work for a single film. This film is going to be the introduction to the rest of the TV series planned afterwards, so I actually like this format: simple intro, save the complexities for the TV series after :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom