Witcher - the movie - details released

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Witcher is just too complex, to make only a Film about!

You could

A) Make a film trilogie, like LotR! (Would be possible as you could make a Movie about every Witcher book)
B) Make a Series like GoT!

Thanks for the news ! I honestly don't expect a lot of it, considering the bad habit studios have to ruin video games movies. It's good to know they're still working on the project, but as far as I love the witcher, I won't get excited until I watch it and make my opinion.

More than likely the Witcher movie will have about as much to do with the books as the 'Last apprentice' movie did. If they CAN actually stick with the books' plot, then what we need is someone who is not established, who can actually pull off a Witcher vibe. If they want to make him twenty-something... Fine, whatever. Please just get someone 'actually' northern/Arian looking:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...88197784.32759.100000556817831&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...88197784.32759.100000556817831&type=3&theater

Last edited:
The Witcher is just too complex, to make only a Film about!

You could

A) Make a film trilogie, like LotR! (Would be possible as you could make a Movie about every Witcher book)
B) Make a Series like GoT!

Thinking more long-term... what about stand alone movies wherein the protagonist can be played by different actors? I'm thinking more along the lines of the "James Bond" franchise, with each movie plot being a closed story with no world-shattering consequences,

Geralt has been killing monsters for decades, so there can be a lot of stories told about him. I would see any movie of a James Bond-style "The Witcher" franchise as a separate tale told by Dandelion in some tavern.

And if those stand alone movies are successful, THEN you can try to do an epic trilogy. I'm thinking something a bit like the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Your first step are the "Iron Man", "Captain America", "Thor" movies, and your second step is "The Avengers". In "The Witcher" case, the first step would be stand alone Geralt adventures, and next you can do a trilogy about Ciri's story.

Last edited:
Thanks for the news ! I honestly don't expect a lot of it, considering the bad habit studios have to ruin video games movies. It's good to know they're still working on the project, but as far as I love the witcher, I won't get excited until I watch it and make my opinion.

Totally ^this^ Im gonna see it, if it gets done.. If it sucks, thats alright. Ill just forget it..

Thinking more long-term... what about stand alone movies wherein the protagonist can be played by different actors? I'm thinking more along the lines of the "James Bond" franchise, with each movie plot being a closed story with no world-shattering consequences,

Naah...a Series would be pretty perfect for the Witcher, as there are so many details, characters and stuff. You couldn't put all those things in different films! Also the story of the Witcher should be always canon IMO!

Geralt has been killing monsters for decades, so there can be a lot of stories told about him. I would see any movie of a James Bond-style "The Witcher" franchise as a separate tale told by Dandelion in some tavern.

There is not only Geralt in the Witcher universe....! I stick with my Idea of making a Series after all!

What Russians can do with $20 million:
[video=youtube;G-gZqGDaYTY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-gZqGDaYTY[/video]
They certainly have some Skellige blood in their veins

Hjalmar Adventures™ :hjalmarfrolic:

Damn, this looks hot! (kudos to @TemerianGirl for that) And here's another reason why Witcher movie can have pretty visuals even with it's tiny little budget.:smile:

Bagiński's new masterpiece: Tvardovsky part 2
[video=youtube;M-skpeuYmfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-skpeuYmfE[/video]

If someone hasn't watched part 1:

Turn the subtitles on.

Actually this is just a low budget AD for Allegro (a polish auction site, sth like ebay or alibaba) and Baginski is only a director.

New interview with Bagins -once again nothing new about movie: they'are not staying in a place, they workin on it, but Tomek cannot reveal anything yet. What might be interesting, when asked about receiving WFA in the name of Sapko, he confirmed that they are in touch a lot:

​"That was simple. During one of the meetings with mr Andrzej, because every one and then we see each other to update our knowledge - what happens to the books, and what to the movie - he asked me to receive this award, because he was just about to go to Eurocon, and he also came back from China recently. How much can you fly?"

​So two things now: 1. This time Andrzej wouldn't be allowed to say that he knows nothing about adaptation/he wasn't informed/no one asked him about anything, etc.
​2. I'm curious what books Bagiński was talkin about...

https://naekranie.pl/artykuly/te-filmy-sa-takie-troche-krotochwilne-rozmowa-z-tomaszem-baginskim

I said it before, and I still say it: TV (HBO) series or bust... after GoT and Shannara, it has become clear that it's the best medium for those properties these days.

I'd rather see them stick to one medium - either films or television. It could get a bit confusing for the audience if they go see a sequel to the original Witcher film only to realise the story has been moving foward in a television series they never even knew existed. Plus if the filmmakers want to get a big name actor to play Geralt I'm not sure if said actor would want to do both films and television. That would be quite a commitment. But obviously the biggest priority is making a good first film for without it there isn't much of a chance of getting any follow ups to it.

WhiteWolfWine;n7027800 said:
I'd rather see them stick to one medium - either films or television. It could get a bit confusing for the audience if they go see a sequel to the original Witcher film only to realise the story has been moving foward in a television series they never even knew existed. Plus if the filmmakers want to get a big name actor to play Geralt I'm not sure if said actor would want to do both films and television. That would be quite a commitment. But obviously the biggest priority is making a good first film for without it there isn't much of a chance of getting any follow ups to it.
True, but I doubt Hollywood would risk a hard R (which Witcher would need to be any good) on a relative unknown IP, especially when a major studio did it, so...

warbaby2;n7033700 said:
True, but I doubt Hollywood would risk a hard R (which Witcher would need to be any good) on a relative unknown IP, especially when a major studio did it, so...
I think that so long as the budgets stay relatively low there's a good chance the films will be R rated. The more money a film requires the bigger the risk it'll be for financiers and so the bigger the meddling of a studio and producers will be. With a mid sized budget Deadpool was able to get an R rating. Had Deadpool required the usual amount of money that making a tentpole comic book film takes I'm sure the studio would've demanded a PG-13 rating. So given the $30 million budget and Baginski's passion for the books I think he'll be able to make an R rated Witcher film but in the future if they want to make bigger sized sequels it'll be another matter.

toudis815;n7197310 said:
New short stuff from Baggins (turn on English subs). Really good, some cool slavic elements, I'm starting to believe that if movie script will be OK, he's capable of directing a pretty awesome witcher movie
These series of low budget ads is not related to the movie beside some persons are involved in both projects. Lets hope the movie will be nothing like these shorts which are terrible in screenplays and low budget.

Mak0r;n7300330 said:
These series of low budget ads is not related to the movie beside some persons are involved in both projects

Director is the most important person when it comes to filmmaking, so it's rather important what Bagiski is capable to do with low budget ad movies, especially if you consider the fact that these are his first attempts attempts in directing real actors.

toudis815;n7300930 said:
Director is the most important person when it comes to filmmaking, so it's rather important what Bagiski is capable to do with low budget ad movies, especially if you consider the fact that these are his first attempts attempts in directing real actors.

even he said it is not serious but just a side project for fun to kill time. dont give it too much importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom