Witcher Toolset

+
Witcher Toolset

It has been stated in the "Ask The Dev" thread that there eventually be a Witcher SDK/Toolkit -- CD Projekt RED is hopeful it might be out by X-Mas even!So, if it's cool, I'd like to have discussions, questions, and all kinds of talk about the SDK in this thread.So gamers, talk about what you'd like to see in an SDK, if you'd like.And, of course, if they want to answer them, I got some questions for CD Projekt RED about the SDK. Basic Questions1. Can and will you show us screenshots or videos of what The Toolkit might actually look like?? :)2. Would you say The Witcher's SDK is harder or easier to use than The Aurora Engine from NWN1 or NWN2? Will it have a steep learning curve? Easy to learn, but hard to master??3. Will there be lots of "scripting" involved?4. Will we be able to implement our own "Collectible Cards" into the game?Game Wizards QuestionsWill there be Easy Game-Making Wizards (a la NWN) in the SDK for creating such things easily like...5. Regular Quests and Side Quests?6. Quests just based around "Collectible Cards"?7. In-Game Cut-Scenes?8. Creating new objects (Armor, Spells, Weapons, Misc)?9. Creating new NPC's and dialogue trees?Anything else10. Anything else you want to tell us about the Toolkit/SDK, guys? :)

I also noticed that comment and have been thinking about it, this is the first game in a long time that from what I can see I don’t have the urge to immediately begin tweaking as it looks pretty much complete in a way that few titles in recent memory have been, just goes to show what a good job the devs have done on this.On saying that and I am not really sure if I should say it in this thread or not but here goes, I’ll put my name up now, I am happy to try and help create new textures in a limited way (higher resolution replacer skin/weapon/item/clothing/tile sets, anyone’s “new” items etc) for peoples mods as long as I don’t have to touch the SDK if its anything remotely like the previous NWN’s ones.I barley managed to understand the TESIV CS let alone the NWN toolsets (I have had more fun while getting surgery).Unfortunately the site that contained 99% of my releases went through a changeover and very few screenshots remain of anything I did but for the sake of argument you can call me a texture maker.

MysterD, nice thread you started. I've been thinking to make one similar myself but thought I'd rather search first for an eventually existing one. Found it on page 6. :)The reason I registered on the forums was to ask for more information about the SDK/Toolset for this game. Why is that... ?Because I find the Witcher to be the best RPG and at the same time - in MY book - the GoTY. I will probably start a new thread about the reasons I find it so. But ATM I am very interested in creating my own adventures in the Witcher's universe. Therefore I would like to raise some questions regarding this fact: - > Is the Toolset/SDK/Editor going to be similar to the NWN/NWN2 one? If yes, then you'll make alot of modders happy. If no, how will it be different? - > Will there be a possibility to create modules (to share or download with/from the Witcher's Comunity) just like one could create for Neverwinter Nights games? Thanks for the eventual response! And btw, thanks for such a great, stylish and mature game! And now here's me waiting unpatiently for the Toolset. :)On a side (and important note), since this should be some sort of official SDK/Editor thread I thought I might add some official information about this, taken from this forum, meaning replies given by the devs. This maybe would be alot easier for those interested to find some answers and it would be alot easier to organise the information on the forums, concentrating all the info about the SDK on this thread. (Just my 2 cents :) ).Here's some bits:
Dziadu said:
Dziadu said:
Toolkit/SDK Questions.1. Does a Toolkit/SDK Come packaged in the game box?2. If "no" to question 1, any idea when is the SDK planned to be out to download?
1. Nope. It will be avilable later2. It's not yet decided - for sure it will be before christmass.
"When Should We Exact Patches?" Questions.3. When should we expect the first patch to be released?
1st patch will be released on the day of premiere. Atari will host it.
More Patch Questions4. Even though the US and UK Version will be different in terms of censorship, will the US and UK Patches have different patches???? 5. If "no" to #4, will the US and UK patches be exactly the same? 6. If "yes" to #5 (question above), is the US and UK patch the same b/c the patches don't exactly alter the "censored/uncensored" assets?
These are qestions rather for Atari :)
The Witcher's Future Questions7. Will there be an expansion pack planned for The Witcher?8. Will there be any DownLoadable Content (DLC) offered by CD Projekt For The Witcher to add small amounts of new in-game content (like what BethSoft did with Oblivion?) to the game periodically?9. Will there be The Witcher 2?
7. Right now we've just finished our game - we need to rest ;D We'll see.8. Yes.9. Nothing is confirmed right now. Let's wait for Witcher 1 feedback ;D
And to conclude this post I feel the need to add that if we're talking about an Editor similar to the NwN games, then the life of this game would be much extended and alot of value would be added.Thank you for reading. :)

SDK's have really took off w/ RPG games the likes of the NWN Series and Elder Scrolls series of games -- both of those series w/ their respective toolkit had a lot of life left, thanks to their SDK's.It'd be great if the CD Projekt RED Dev's and the mod community support The Witcher's SDK kit in that kind of fashion.And given that CDPR plans to release some Game Extensions themselves, I hope they got a lot of good stuff planned. It'd be sweet if it's quite often, too! :)

MysterD said:
SDK's have really took off w/ RPG games the likes of the NWN Series and Elder Scrolls series of games -- both of those series w/ their respective toolkit had a lot of life left, thanks to their SDK's.It'd be great if the CD Projekt RED Dev's and the mod community support The Witcher's SDK kit in that kind of fashion.
True. But on the other hand 'The Witcher"s situation is a bit different than NwN and Oblivion's. 'The Witcher' is an european game, more mature, build in another style, thus a bit more unaccesible to the people who, for example, are involved in a (mod) community as the Oblivion one. And, of course, 'The Witcher' is not as complex as an open-ended game. Well... that is... unless the devs don't plan to add some extra content to make it (a bit/more open-ended). ;) And HELL I bet we would ALL want that. Even in the style of S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl, with repeatable quests or factions.Heh, probably I went to far.And yes, the DLContent promises not only more fun playing but also that the dev team will keep a constant eye on the game dev and on the comunity, especially if the SDK will be released.

[quote author=MysterD]1. Can and will you show us screenshots or videos of what The Toolkit might actually look like?? :)[/QUOTE]I think you will be able to see it soon.[quote author=MysterD]2. Would you say The Witcher's SDK is harder or easier to use than The Aurora Engine from NWN1 or NWN2? Will it have a steep learning curve? Easy to learn, but hard to master??[/QUOTE]Harder. It's rather a protool.[quote author=MysterD]3. Will there be lots of "scripting" involved?[/QUOTE]If you want to make something really good - yes, you must use some scripts.[quote author=MysterD]4. Will we be able to implement our own "Collectible Cards" into the game?[/QUOTE]Sure.[quote author=MysterD]Will there be Easy Game-Making Wizards (a la NWN) in the SDK for creating such things easily like...[/QUOTE]No, surely not in the first toolset release version. Maybe later it will be added.[quote author=MysterD]5. Regular Quests and Side Quests?[/QUOTE]Yes, you can create both there.[quote author=MysterD]6. Quests just based around "Collectible Cards"?[/QUOTE]It's up to you what about quest will be.[quote author=MysterD]7. In-Game Cut-Scenes?[/QUOTE]Yes, Djinni have buildin cutscene editor.[quote author=MysterD]8. Creating new objects (Armor, Spells, Weapons, Misc)?[/QUOTE]Sure. [quote author=MysterD]9. Creating new NPC's and dialogue trees?[/QUOTE]Sure.[quote author=MysterD]10. Anything else you want to tell us about the Toolkit/SDK, guys? :)[/QUOTE]Not yet. You'll be given new informations soon :)

Wow....again, you guys go all out and answer EVERY question I throw your way!!! Awesome.Thanks for answering my questions, CD Projekt RED!!!

I have a few questions to the devs too.I've been doing a lot of modding for NWN and it was possible to change quite a lot of the core rules (required loads of workarounds and scripting) like a different skill and spell system. Will it be possible to do the same with The Witcher? I'm sure that making a party with accessible inventory etc would be doable, I've managed to do it for NWN before the official patches appeared, but what about for example switching the control over different characters during the game?

ento

Forum veteran
It seems that those pesky modders are already enjoying The Witcher http://i18.tinypic.com/5y2igyp.jpg ;D

Will there be any plans for A SDK Guide to be released to teach us how to use the toolset and all????

Question - what is the character limit for books? I noticed that for some books (for instance, the one that gives the creature entry for the Frightener) the journal only provides a short summary of what the book was about (the first Frightner summoning), and there is no real incentive to keep the book after opening it and receiving the journal entry... I was hoping to add some stories to the books themselves which would build on the summaries provided in the journal. Would this be possible, or do the books have a finite limit which can't really be tampered with?Also any info you could provide on the scripting potential would be welcome too!
5. Regular Quests and Side Quests?Yes, you can create both there.
Awesome!!!

Completely new to modding 3D objects but I have done some work with Blender, very basic I should add. Would Blender be a programme that you could possible use for the Witcher?

Hey, CD Projekt Red....Using Already Existing Files At Templates...In regards for when creating NPC Models in the Toolkit...Will we able to take your already existing character models as a "template" to create new NPC and not overwrite the old character models???Like say will we be able to take your already existing character models and just say change their hair color? change their eye color? shirt color? pants color? And say save them as a brand new file right within The Toolkit?Will we be able to do the same w/ the collectible cards, too -- and take already existing cards and just change a hair color or something to make a new collectible card???Or...Or will we have to say take your already existing character models and "collectible" cards and use them as say templates OUTSIDE of the toolkit w/ some picture manipulation program like say Photoshop?

I do apologize if this is already a known fact but I could not find any info or not much info pertaining to the release of the sdk or it's features.When or what is the estimated timeframe for releasing the sdk mod tools?Will the tools include a 3d app importer/exporter for apps such as 3DS StudioMax, Maya, Softimage XSI?How extensive can we mod the game? Can we do a Total Conversion in that we can create a whole main story line bypassing the existing one?What scripting language does it use?What are the actual tools? Does the game allow for new animations, custom content to be added ?Will there be documentation with the toolset or support from the devs in any way?Will a "Modding" section be opened up on the forums for mod related discussions?I am a modeler and modder and after playing this game for just a little while am so impressed by everything about it that I would love to start up a mod project using your sdk,,,One of the most exciting and immersive rpg's I have played in a long time,, And stable with no crashing and jerky game play whatsoever on my machine,, Simply a wonderful gaming experience !!!My hat tips in deep respect for the great job you people have done on this game..CheersVinnieMcP.S. Put me down for any; add ons/expansions or new games of "The Witcher" anytime they come out!!!!! ;D ;D

the SDK will be availeble before Christmasthere wil be 3dsmax importer cause all the game models were created in 3dsmax and were imported throgh SDKBTW. I'm waiting for character models mod ;)

Hey Mike113, Thanx for the heads up bud,, appreciated,, Wow!!, a 3Ds max importer/exporter, that is good news indeed.Looking forward to modeling in it...And all before Christmas to,,, What a nice pre-Christmas present..hahaCheersVinnieMc

Top Bottom