Witcher TV series

+
Witcher TV series

Just out of curiousity, I watched a bit of the Wiedzmin series at a friends (who had it on tape from poland, and being a swede myself I didnt understand a word) and I was wondering if anyone knows if the series is availible on DVD with english subtitles (or swedish for that matter) and where to get it?As far as I've heard the series are ok but the movie was a disaster, so Im staying clear of that one =)

As far as i've heard the movie was just bits and parts of the series that they glued together (and they showed the movie first, the series after..) to form a "movie" in a very cheap way (that's propably why people say it was cr@p) I haven't seen it myself, but that's what i hear and read. And i've seen some clips of the series, and it looks really low budget. Plus, because the movie was just random parts of the series, there is no coheirency, no continuation in what's going on...

I woudln't watch it, if you haven't read the book. And even after that I wouldn't treat this film/series as an adaptation. All in all it is a pretty good comedy, once you realize how lame it is.

It is TERRIBLE crap. It just kills the whole Vedymin theme ==.' I agree with both Geralt fans&A.Sapkowski here - it was abhorrent. Don't do this to yourself, man, don't watch it! ;)

I advice all of you to never wach this movie . It's terrible.It isn't worth of time you have to spend on it. But I have to say: Read the series if you can. It is really good. It is my one of favorites books. I love it. Sapkowski has his own climat, where you can find things that you can't find in other books.

That's true, the film is crap. The series are a little better, but still - not good enough. If enjoy the game and you like to read fantasy, books are highly recomended - unless your country have translation :p

Well1 After watching the movie Sapkowski wanted to leave Poland and never come back... and the series, well some people say they're better. But the're still very bad)Personally, I enjoyed watching the movie in theater. really. We came as Large group of fans, most of us either just fnished reading or were finishing reading the books. We drang beer, we commented loudly how bad the movi was. When someone told us to shut up, we told him that has he read the books, he would be commenting to :)But the best part was, when during the movie's ionly sex sceene sudenly the power went off, and the auxilliary lights wer lit :) some guy stood upa and told that every oneunder 18 should leave for movie to continue. Great fum ;D

I've seen the series, and I didn't think it was that bad. It was a bit random between episodes sometimes, with the time period and location changing a bit abruptly, but the last 5-6 episodes had a continuous storyline that I got into. I haven't read any of the stories yet (it's going to take 6 weeks for them to be delivered to the US from amazon.co.uk), but I'm hoping they will fill in some of the gaps and expand upon the characters more.

as my friend used to say - "I'll wait till its on TV and then refuse to watch it" :)seriously, the movie is just...bad. there was a huge wave of expectations here in Poland when it was about to arrive, and even greater wave of disappointment after. out of all my friends ony ONE said that "he kinda liked it", and compared to the book its just a disasterso just do yourself some good and don't watch it, really

Well, if you like movies like "four guys dressed up as 10 different characters, wearing jeans, leather jackets and wielding plastic swords, fighting rubber dragons", i'm sure you'll like the movie. But if you're normal, you'll just want to forget you ever watched it...

Strongly recommended - do not watch. It is full of mistakes and foolish acts (FE: in Melitele monastery one of the priestess screams - when Renfrii attaks - "Jesus Maria!" - no comment). Plus rubber monsters, old elves and fat dragon transmuting in fireball (in story - no spark lights - just change).Movie and series sucks.

Stay clear of it...I watched some and I'm in complete agreement with the Geralt/Sapkowski fans and Sapkowski himself. It is downright terrible.

Given that we English-speaking folks haven't had the pleasure of any of Sapkowski's works in our own language, the TV series is all we've had (and even that we've only had thanks to the internet and fans who have been nice enough to translate and subtitle it). If I'm not mistaken, his stuff hasn't been translated in Swedish either?But yeah, you can claim that it totally sucks if you've read the books, but as a show it really isn't half bad. I think a lot of people would walk away with a favorable impression of the franchise as a whole after seeing it, as long as they're able to stomach the somewhat low budget it obviously had. The effects and such are pretty lame. However, the elements of Sapkowski's fiction that make it unique and different from other more archetypical fantasy do come across, and honestly, the acting is pretty decent (at least as far as I can gauge, not being a native speaker of the language).Most die-hard fans will hate movie or TV adaptations of their favorite fiction if it isn't handled properly, and proper handling takes a disgusting amount of both time and money. It's doubtful that the Wiedzmin TV show can in any way match the material from which it was born, but taken on its own, it really isn't bad. You could do much worse. Unfortunately, I don't know of any plans to release it in any English-speaking territories, and I don't think it's even made the rounds anywhere else on DVD. I don't think it would be nearly popular enough for anyone to go to the trouble, so... all I can say is that the internet is your friend. Send me a PM if you can't read between the lines there.

Quemaqua said:
Given that we English-speaking folks haven't had the pleasure of any of Sapkowski's works in our own language, the TV series is all we've had (and even that we've only had thanks to the internet and fans who have been nice enough to translate and subtitle it). If I'm not mistaken, his stuff hasn't been translated in Swedish either?
The first book, "The Last Wish", has been translated into English and published in the UK (and is going to be published in the US as well).

Yeah. I plan to order the hardcover from the UK since all we get is a crappy trade paperback in the US.

Top Bottom