Witcher1 on Console

+
Witcher1 on Console

Ok, so I played my first Witcher on TW2 console. How hard would it be to port The Witcher (1) to XBOX or the upcoming Playstaion4?

I would like to have TW1 ported too. With new consoles so similar to PC I hope it is possible, and not very expensive. I wouldn't mind TW2 port on ps4 as well.

Not a game developer, so I can't really say how hard it would be. But it most likely won't happen. They had a port for the first one being developed by another studio they subbed it out to, but pull the plug on it.

If I remember correctly Bioware eventually brought ME1-2 to ps3. If TW3 is profitable enough, it can happen, in some sort of Anniversary edition, or something

Csszr said:
Not a game developer, so I can't really say how hard it would be. But it most likely won't happen. They had a port for the first one being developed by another studio they subbed it out to, but pull the plug on it.

The studio they contracted it to didn't do quality work.

Even though this game has better "legs" than Princess Adda, they still have to deal with an obsolete engine, risk of using a contractor or opportunity cost of diverting in-house developers, and a limited per-copy price.

I think it would be a wonderful gesture to the fans. Gestures don't pay the bills, so that leaves me skeptical.

If CDPR would have time to port stuff, I'd prefer them to work on porting their new engine to more OSes, rather than porting older titles.

Glaroug said:
You might say ol'Geralt has slimmed done during the years, haha.

Hehe. I think Geralt in TW1 looked slimmer than in TW2 (and TW3 apparently uses a model closer to TW2 as well).

Gilrond said:
If CDPR would have time to port stuff, I'd prefer them rather to work on porting their new engine to more OSes, rather than porting older titles.

I agree. Especially considering by now most computers with modest hardware can run the first Witcher. Also the control scheme and UI would be awkward for consoles. They would have to fix that.

Well, if TW3 is insanely popular, and earns tons of green, people would want to have the entire trilogy on consoles as well. I do not really know but I guess it would be easier to port both TW1 and TW2 on ps4 and X1, and it will be profitable enough. People love complete editions. I hope it will happen one day.

It may happen some day, but not any time soon I don't think. Their plate is well-full with The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. After each game there's potential for DLC and expansions so who knows what CDPR is doing in 2016.

Incidentally 2017 would be the 10 year anniversary of the launch of The Witcher ;)

I so hope they get around to working on that one day... W1 on any console would do :)

Duskey said:
Incidentally 2017 would be the 10 year anniversary of the launch of The Witcher ;)
Incidentally, indeed :)

ah, the non happening that was the "rise of the white wolf".

i'm not alone in saying i had to cancel that pre order awhile ago.

however i don't see how that has anything to do with re releasing the original e.e. for consoles. i'm not at all interested in this to upset pc purists. i own a copy of the vanilla dvd release. i can go either way really.

just saying it'd be nice. i simply need it on more than one platform, one that doesn't suffer the glitches, or one that doesn't need to be reinstalled & re patched everytime my pc decides it doesn't want to behave.

its not the easiest thing to delete & reinstall afterall.

in terms of an anniversary edition, i just have visions of an hd reboot like the hitman series, only sans the best part. :(/>

don't get me wrong, i have all the faith in the world in cdpr. yeah, patience is a virtue.

of course, a sacrificial offering to veyopatis tomorrow during the solstice couldn't possibly hurt either?

the water lords are Nye!

Don't hold your breath . CDPR are moving forward with new tech and projects as it should be . They are not like Rockstar Games that are still stuck in 2005 and bringing their First GTA games on consoles like they are still something special , on other hand they are silent about GTA 5 PC version (About which I don't give a damn , but speaking for my fellow PC gamers who are interested ) .

Umair2012 said:
Don't hold your breath . CDPR are moving forward with new tech and projects as it should be . They are not like Rockstar Games that are still stuck in 2005 and bringing their First GTA games on consoles like they are still something special , on other hand they are silent about GTA 5 PC version (About which I don't give a damn , but speaking for my fellow PC gamers who are interested ) .

Don't hold my breath?!! From all accounts I've read, TW1 was a great game and people did play it on PC but how many Millions did not play it at all?! Why not introduce them to the game, I would buy it as I'm positive millions of others would as well.

A great story/game is a great story/game, regardless of when it was first released. How much updating the dev's would want to do is up to them.

I would pay premium price for this but unless all consolers would do this---CDPR has no compelling reason to make it happen. And I doubt many people would want to when they could buy it for 1/6 of the price that it likely would be or maybe since it's CDPR we're talking about they'd sell it at $40 for the least. Anything could happen though.

Yes, TW1 is a great game, and it is only on PC. TW2 is on PC and Xbox 360, TW3 - on PC, X1 and ps4. As we see CDPR are steadily moving into console gaming market as well. If TW3 is very successful in sales, it is reasonable to expect at some point a some sort of Anniversary edition of TW1-3 for X1 and ps4. Bioware did it for ps3 with ME1-3, after all, so it is not such a bad idea financially. As I read, X1 and ps4 are similar to PC, so porting can be done in-house.

peteo said:
Don't hold my breath?!! From all accounts I've read, TW1 was a great game and people did play it on PC but how many Millions did not play it at all?! Why not introduce them to the game, I would buy it as I'm positive millions of others would as well.

A great story/game is a great story/game, regardless of when it was first released. How much updating the dev's would want to do is up to them.

They aren't Ubisoft or Bioware. They don't have hundreds of employees for side projects. If you want to play TW1, get a PC.

slimgrin said:

They aren't Ubisoft or Bioware. They don't have hundreds of employees for side projects. If you want to play TW1, get a PC.

Actually, with two big projects in the works, and a new studio opened they are expanding their work force. Who can tell how many people they will have in 2015-2016 if TW3 is very successful? Even Bethesda and Bioware started small. If CDPR do it right, they can become as large as Bethesda eventually.

Top Bottom