Witchers and potions don't seem to work together

+
Witchers and potions don't seem to work together

The witchers received some changes in the new card update, and they now all have "potions are 1.5x more effective on this card". However using potions on htem seems very awkward. For one, Geralt is a gold card and can't be targeted by the potions unless you first un-gold him, making the whole thing very difficult to pull off. And the other witchers can't be targeted by manticore potion since they are all different characters.

This all feels a little off, like they are supposed to synergize but the devs forgot they don't actually work? Or do they work differently to how I assume? I am sure if I am correct there is a reason behind all this, but it feels wrong and is unintuitive. I am sure plenty of new players will miss this and get confused why the potions don't work like they "should".

Changing potions to potentially target gold or adding "can be targeted by potions" to Geralt could solve his issue. For Manticore you could do something like "all units on your side with the same strength get +4", to hit all the witchers.

I was asking myself the same question about Geralt earlier actually. How can a potion work on him as he's a gold card?

I understand the Geralt Issue being Golden and can not actually be affected by the Potions but there are uses.

First of all, Potions only usable on non-Gold cards definitely a Balancing thing. Giving 10 Strength to a Golden Card would be WAY too strong.

Secondly, there are ways you can use the Potions on Geralt, Dijkstra comes to mind when he strips cards of their gold status.

And then there are unforseeable cards such as a Golden Potion Special which can affect Golden Units, or a Units like Cerys that lose Golden Status after a certain trigger (Going to the Graveyard in her case.)

Secondly, there are ways you can use the Potions on Geralt, Dijkstra comes to mind when he strips cards of their gold status.

Foltest (ability) + 3x Kaedweni Sergeants + Operator = 5 bronze cards which can take easliy gold status from cards, and you can bring them back and re-use with basic medics, decoy them etc. You can build a deck which will be focused on using potions on geralt and reusing him (if some will want and put the minimum effort in deck building). Theres tons of possibilities.

The fact that Geralt is a gold card and has written on his description he's getting *1.5 effect from potions is completely counter intuitive and very restrictive. I would rather have a text added on the potion description saying '*1.5 effect when applied on a witcher'. It would open up many more interesting tactical uses for them. At the moment, it looks more like a flavor from the rpg than anything really useful.

As much as I love the idea of potions... I'm not crazy about this either.
- It doesn't have the new player in mind. You're going to teach them that gold cards are special and can't be affected by (most) spells and effects, and then show a gold card that has an effect if it's targeted by a special card that can't actually target it.
- Just echoing the point from aroundofgwent in the OP, thunderbolt potion is designed to affect a group of units, but but based on what we know, Thunderbolt won't work that way on the Witchers because they have different names. So now the only three units that regularly get extra value from potions get the WORST value out of the potion that's supposed to hit a group.

Both situations could have a new player try and fail to apply a potion card because they didn't know any better.

We only have two potions available to us right now. They are both very simplistic and are VERY new player friendly. If a new player reads give 4 strength to units of the same name and tries to give it to units with different names then they are special snowflakes lol.

I imagine there will be more potions that come out that will have different effects and will target different types of units. I think it would have been more confusion to have potions come out in the beta that say add 4 strength to witchers or dwarves even though there is nothing at the moment that tells new players what those are. New players cant tell by pictures alone what kind of faction these cards belong to.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying this from a balance perspective. I do see how you could use it with Geralt, in fact I have made decks that use him in that way and it can certainly work. However, it is unintuitive and just like @McBeardCH said I believe it makes it harder to understand how it should all fit together. And really I don't think using thunderbolt on the witchers is a sign of being stupid in any way, the card is supposed to target groups, the witchers are a group that even have extra synergy with potions. It makes perfect sense that it should work.

Top Bottom