Witchers Archetype (non-existent atm lol)

+
So many old Witcher cards that are now useless and obsolete, (all non-Geralt Wolf School witchers) this makes me sad. :/ I couldn't find a thread dedicated to this so I post one here.
I only decided to do this because I got the "Play 15/X amount of witchers" challenge and I found it to be quite a chore to stack my deck with Witcher cards that absolutely don't justify their provision costs. :] Also if you're to make a witcher focused deck you're kinda forced to go with Niflgaard since only they got the Viper Witchers.
(or do us the kindness of removing the "play X witchers" quests lol)

It makes me a little sad too, the Witchers are practically the jedis of this universe, it is a pity that they are left so aside in Gwent.

It is quite hilarious, how the only actual Witcher deck the game had was Alchemy Nilfgaard in Open Beta, using Viper Witchers (with an actually interesting ability, unlike now) up to 6 times.
Also since the game allows even much, much smaller factions to become a faction or at the very least an archetype it is hilarious to see that Vesemir exists as an example that Witchers are an archetype, yet Witcher decks themselves are propably so unplayable that they might only work at Rank 20+ against new players.

Edit: I would even say that Witchers are what Wild Hunt stopped being afer the last expansion, so right now Witchers are kind of the only joke archetype, which is only really bait for new players.

Last edited:

ya1

Forum regular
Yeah and they keep on insisting on putting play witchers quests to Journey every week

DRK3

Forum veteran
It is quite hilarious, how the only actual Witcher deck the game had was Alchemy Nilfgaard in Open Beta, using Viper Witchers (with an actually interesting ability, unlike now) up to 6 times.
Also since the game allows even much, much smaller factions to become a faction or at the very least an archetype it is hilarious to see that Vesemir exists as an example that Witchers are an archetype, yet Witcher decks themselves are propably so unplayable that they might only work at Rank 20+ against new players.

Edit: I would even say that Witchers are what Wild Hunt stopped being afer the last expansion, so right now Witchers are kind of the only joke archetype, which is only really bait for new players.

Witchers arent unplayable... you "only" need Ivo and Letho KS on Ivo active, doing 2dmg each every turn, Ciri Dash getting you card advantage, Eskel Pathfinder not getting countered and have Lambert Swordmaster vs a swarm deck or Geralts vs a tall units deck. Simple :shrug:

Witchers arent unplayable... you "only" need Ivo and Letho KS on Ivo active, doing 2dmg each every turn, Ciri Dash getting you card advantage, Eskel Pathfinder not getting countered and have Lambert Swordmaster vs a swarm deck or Geralts vs a tall units deck. Simple :shrug:
My point was Witchers as a core of a deck, I did not refer to throwing 1-2 Witchers into a deck, where their Witcher tag is irrelevant.
I was refering to cards like Vesemir: Mentor.

DRK3

Forum veteran
My point was Witchers as a core of a deck, I did not refer to throwing 1-2 Witchers into a deck, where their Witcher tag is irrelevant.
I was refering to cards like Vesemir: Mentor.

If you want to do a full 100% witcher deck you probably have to include bronze viper witchers, which are just terrible and expensive specially when you're not going full mill. The Wolf witcher trio is just awful and a loss certificate, even with Vesemir Mentor.

Then there are the 3 viper witchers, those are good and definitely deserve a spot in any witcher deck, which only NG can pull off.

I have a deck packed with witchers that is doing all right, but still under 50% winrate.

With this deck I need my opponent to go super-wide or super-tall, so that Geralts and Lambert make the maximum impact. Alternatively, Ciris may give an extra card or two if the opponent lacks counters at the right moment.

Overall, it's weak compared even to Tier 3 decks. I posted many times about the witcher archetype that it should be revised to be more playable in "Gwent The Witcher's Game"

Part of the issue is the provision cost of witchers. A lot of the Witcher cards are top tier Geralt. You are also pretty well stuck with NG if you want to have enough Witcher cards to fill a deck. They could easily add a new archetype around Witcher potions in a later expansion. Instead of the whole damage then heal, instead you could run toxicity (kinda like poison, but with more interesting/less binary effects.) Also you can have them do different things to different card types. For example, Mages get a different reaction than humans, and dwarves get a different reaction then mages, ect... Also, just like Netflix, we need more origin Witcher cards. Also some generic bronze cards like school of the bear, bear armor Witcher, ect...

Top Bottom