witcher's steel and silver swords...

+
witcher's steel and silver swords...

why witchers needs 2 swords? silver and steel?
i mean, if the silver sword is sharp enough, can't it kill humans and animals?
geralt even killed Jacques de Aldersberg stabbing him with a silver sword
IMO it makes no sense to use steel swords.
if a silver sword can kill a vampire, even a dragon, why not a human?

I do see your point. However, isn't steel more hardy than silver? If so, continuously using a silver sword to fight opponents that are wielding steel swords would put a Witcher in a disadvantage. The upkeep cost would probably go up as well, which would be a pain for someone with such a low income. I might be completely wrong, just throwing ideas out there

I do see your point. However, isn't steel more hardy than silver? If so, continuously using a silver sword to fight opponents that are wielding steel swords would put a Witcher in a disadvantage. The upkeep cost would probably go up as well, which would be a pain for someone with such a low income. I might be completely wrong, just throwing ideas out there

but steel swords are nothing compared to monsters' scales, claws or fangs
and if a witcher can kill a monster, like vampires or even giants, humans shouldn't be a problem at all
remember that geralt almost died because he was CARELESS
as regis said in blood and wine "killing you humans is extremally easy"
if the sword didn't break fighting monsters, hardly will break again't humans

In the books, Geralt carries a steel sword on his back. The silver sword is wrapped in some kind of cloak and stashed away somewhere on the saddle. He only takes it out when he knows that he has to fight monsters. I think the book explains the use of the silver sword along the lines that silver hurts monsters and is thus more effective than steel; Geralt also uses a silver chain on the Striga to slow it down. I don't remember the books explaining how a silver sword is forged, i.e. if any monster ingredients are required.

I think you can use the silver sword on human enemies and animals in TW 3; you have to disable the "automatically draw steel/silver sword" function in order to do that.

In the books, Geralt doesn't do a lot of monster slaying. When he does, he doesn't draw his silver sword unless is a special kind of monster. Drowners, nekkers and the other common monsters would probably be fought with steel swords, striggas and kayrans with a silver sword.

I don't remember the books explaining how a silver sword is forged, i.e. if any monster ingredients are required.

During the Witcheress epilogue. It was mentioned that the core is still steel and it is coated with Silver.
But agreed, weird that the game does not allow us to kill humans with Silver sword.

I guess as mentioned above, using only silver swords would probably raise the living cost of a witcher, since that would require delicate care.

I think you can use the silver sword on human enemies and animals in TW 3; you have to disable the "automatically draw steel/silver sword" function in order to do that.

Doesn't it do much less damage than the correct type of sword, though ?

It might have been more realistic to allow using silver swords against humans, but they would have no advantage over steel in that case and degrade faster in general. While steel would do less damage to monsters. But the way it is in the game is probably for gameplay reasons.

why witchers needs 2 swords? silver and steel?
i mean, if the silver sword is sharp enough, can't it kill humans and animals?
geralt even killed Jacques de Aldersberg stabbing him with a silver sword
IMO it makes no sense to use steel swords.
if a silver sword can kill a vampire, even a dragon, why not a human?

Silver swords are a real bitch to take care of (Pardon my French.), and they're incredibly expensive, to boot.

Correct.

but steel swords are nothing compared to monsters' scales, claws or fangs
and if a witcher can kill a monster, like vampires or even giants, humans shouldn't be a problem at all
remember that geralt almost died because he was CARELESS
as regis said in blood and wine "killing you humans is extremally easy"
if the sword didn't break fighting monsters, hardly will break again't humans

The less he uses the silver sword, the better.

do the books explain that?

The book-lore for the two types of swords is very different than the game-lore. In the books, steel is used for most monsters, in addition to humans. Silver is really only for monsters that are ethereal (Wraiths, etc..), vampires, cursed ones, and a couple of other monster "families".

In the books, Geralt carries a steel sword on his back. The silver sword is wrapped in some kind of cloak and stashed away somewhere on the saddle. He only takes it out when he knows that he has to fight monsters. I think the book explains the use of the silver sword along the lines that silver hurts monsters and is thus more effective than steel; Geralt also uses a silver chain on the Striga to slow it down. I don't remember the books explaining how a silver sword is forged, i.e. if any monster ingredients are required.

Correct, regarding their usage.

The silver is only on the out-side of the sword. The inner elements are steel.

You can switch swords in combat, regardless. The automatic draw is only for the initial draw and sheath.

In the books, Geralt doesn't do a lot of monster slaying. When he does, he doesn't draw his silver sword unless is a special kind of monster. Drowners, nekkers and the other common monsters would probably be fought with steel swords, striggas and kayrans with a silver sword.

Correct.

During the Witcheress epilogue. It was mentioned that the core is still steel and it is coated with Silver.
But agreed, weird that the game does not allow us to kill humans with Silver sword.

I guess as mentioned above, using only silver swords would probably raise the living cost of a witcher, since that would require delicate care.

You can kill humans with silver, and monsters with steel.. It's simply more difficult. Silver swords are fairly delicate, and cost a small fortune.

Doesn't it do much less damage than the correct type of sword, though ?

It might have been more realistic to allow using silver swords against humans, but they would have no advantage over steel in that case and degrade faster in general. While steel would do less damage to monsters. But the way it is in the game is probably for gameplay reasons.

It does significantly less damage.

I have a feeling that silver would have a tough time biting through heavy plating (On a human.).

Guest 3847602

Funny thing about the witcher steel swords is that the ones made of meteorite ores and the ones made of regular steel are equally useful in combat. Witchers just use those "supernatural" swords in order to make a better impression on their clients and get better salary.
Geralt explained this to Dandelion in Season of Storms.

Geralt could use a sword with a steel interior and a silver plating. Just an idea. ;) I think it looks much cooler to carry two swords than one, but it's just a decision by the author...

@Boromir2015 : I think the silver plating would suffer greatly if being pounded on repeatedly with steel weapons, as it happens in fights with armed human enemies.

Repair costs for the silver one are probably also much higher than those for a normal weapon, and book canon Geralt is poor as dirt.

@Boromir2015 : I think the silver plating would suffer greatly if being pounded on repeatedly with steel weapons, as it happens in fights with armed human enemies.

Repair costs for the silver one are probably also much higher than those for a normal weapon, and book canon Geralt is poor as dirt.

Well, not quite, Yennefer is sneakily topping his wages up so that he isn't in poverty and has sufficient amounts to eat, rent, feed his horse, repair his weapons if needed.
He ain't exactly got money to spare tho lol.

Geralt could use a sword with a steel interior and a silver plating. Just an idea. ;) I think it looks much cooler to carry two swords than one, but it's just a decision by the author...

That's how it currently is. The silver swords aren't 100% silver. The core is steel.

---------- Updated at 09:28 PM ----------

Funny thing about the witcher steel swords is that the ones made of meteorite ores and the ones made of regular steel are equally useful in combat. Witchers just use those "supernatural" swords in order to make a better impression on their clients and get better salary.
Geralt explained this to Dandelion in Season of Storms.

I'm definitely reading that, as soon as it's translated into English. SoS sounds raw.

I always imagined that a Silver sword just affected certain unnatural creatures such as causing a werewolf or a fiend more pain, a elemental or wraith might find it harder to stay 'together'.

Top Bottom