With which gender do you prefer to play videogames in general? [Poll] [Spoilers]

+

With which gender do you prefer to play videogames in general?

• Male

• Female

Results are only viewable after voting.
I prefer females if given choice, but sometimes there are exceptions. For example, romance options, gameplay options, aesthetic etc.

In Skyrim I played males. In Mass Effect - both. In Cyberpunk, only female so far, but I want to try male as well, when the game is updated with expansions or whatever they plan for it.

I prefer females if given choice, but sometimes there are exceptions. For example, romance options, gameplay options, aesthetic etc.

In Skyrim I played males. In Mass Effect - both. In Cyberpunk, only female so far, but I want to try male as well, when the game is updated with expansions or whatever they plan for it.
Played Cyberpunk a bunch of times but with female only too. Am very curious as to the other endings, but just so not interested having to play with a male. Tough dilemma. Maybe I'll just speedrun through the story with a male if ever experiencing a funny mood.

Last edited:
With Cyberpunk 2077, I played all 3 lifepaths, both male and female. In general I start out with male to 'train' my reflexes and get my bearings and learn the map. Then in my 'real' play-through', I use the female protagonist for immersion. If I had to choose between them, I'd choose female (for looks/style, choices etc.).

I pick either but I find that I tend to pick female more often these days. Maybe because I grew accustomed to the growing number of games featuring female leads ? That being said, for CP I'm going multiple playthroughs using all available options. I mean, i like both voice acting and characterisation.
So I choose F.

Same as Rawls. Which gender I'll play with depends largely on the voice actor. So I usually choose female Shepard on ME because I love Jeniffer Hale, which doesn't mean I don't like Mike Meer; he is good ofc but Jeniffer is outstanding. For Assassin Creed Odyssey, I was so taken with the performance of Melissanthi Mahut, I always play as Kassandra. However, if neither of the voice actors is good enough for me like Fallout4, I don't care less about which gender I choose.
As for Cyberpunk2077, I played as female V on my first playthrough because I like Cherami Leigh's voice. But when I played on my second playthrough, I noticed Gavin Drea's performance was also brilliant, so I'll have a hard time deciding which character to play next.

I must admit that it also matters a bit in my decision to always choose to play as a female. At one time, women were rather limited to the role of the helpless creature who need to be saved. So seeing/playing a woman kicking bad guys ass is pretty enjoyable and fun :)

I meant more that every male protagonist is literally the same guy in western games. Muscular, ruggedly handsome with short brown hair and the personality of a cardboard box.

Look at the default male char in this game. Same dude, different pants.

Mostly Female.
I like to thank Tiger Woods golf 2004 game for this. All the variable players to play in a career mode, only 1 out of 12 is female. With the other modes in the game, I come against all male. To fix that up I create golf players, I might as well add some females players to the game. Then it branches out to other games like The Elder Scrolls 3 to 5, Fallout 3 and 4 including New Vegas and Mass Effect games and others.

To be honest, it depends on how good the voice acting is, if it's voiced. Which one I pick up first to start the very first playthrugh depends on my mood. For example , in CP I've played both cause both voices are great to me, and the first one I chose was female V.
There are other games where I played both male and female, or I stopped playing one of them cause I couldn't stand the voice acting (maleshep in Mass Effect comes to my mind).
In the case of non voiced games, I easily play both without issues.

For me at least, this question highlights the true gap between between computer games and true, imaginary role-playing (as in Dungeons and Dragons and it’s derivatives). In the former, I really don’t care what gender I play — if it matters, I choose the most appealing powers. But in the later, playing a gender other than my own always feels unpleasantly artificial.

For me at least, this question highlights the true gap between between computer games and true, imaginary role-playing (as in Dungeons and Dragons and it’s derivatives). In the former, I really don’t care what gender I play — if it matters, I choose the most appealing powers. But in the later, playing a gender other than my own always feels unpleasantly artificial.

There's 2 types of brains when it comes to this. People who play a character, and people who play AS a character. There is nothing more complex about it.

Female is preferred. since im a male irl, have enought male stuff to deal with. Playing, rp-ing as a female is more interesting, different experience and perspective, more aesthetically pleasing. Exploring social situations, fashion and photo mode/art, how the story/combat is different, or not. In movies, music, theatre doesnt matter male o female, just be quality.

Depends on the game and the format. For instance in 1st person I really don't care because I seldom see myself. Third person I'd rather stare at the behind of a well formed female than a male for 100 hours but it also has a lot to do with the voice acting. For instance in AC Odyssey it was Kassandra all the way because of her voice actress but in AC Valhalla I went with the male Eivor (tried both) because his voice acting was so much better. I'd really like to play a Witcher game as Ciri if they kept the same voice actress. It took me a while to get use to her abilities but once I did I always look forward to the parts where I play as her

Male, usually. I found that playing females in online games can be... creepy... when you catch the eye of a potential beau. Then have to break it to them that just because you play a female AND you role-play one (does anyone even RP anymore?) that you're not interested. Fun times usually ensue.

Top Bottom