With which gender do you prefer to play videogames in general? [Poll] [Spoilers]

+

With which gender do you prefer to play videogames in general?

• Male

• Female

Results are only viewable after voting.
Eh, not sure what is my answer here, so didn't vote at all. It really depends of everything.

If there is a character creation, then it might be a thing as simple as which gender has more nice looking tattoos, for example. If I play a game that feels somewhat "manly", I probably prefer male. Sometimes it's just a matter of which ever happened to be first visible in character creation. Sometimes other voice sounds ridiculous and I choose the other because of that. Sometimes in multiplayers with friends I choose my own gender, sometimes the other on purpose if playing with strangers.

Let's just say I choose my character's gender based on the current mood, whatever it happens to be at that time :D I don't have a favorite. If I play the game several times, I think I usually try to use both.

Morrowind - both
KOTOR 1 - only female
KOTOR 2 - both
Oblivion - both, but only female on a full playthrough
Vampire The Mascarade: Bloodlines - only female
Skyrim - only female
Mass Effect trilogy - both
Dragon Age series - only female
Fallout 3, NV, 4 - only female
Cyberpunk 2077 - both

Games don't put much emphasis on gender differences really, apart from visual aspects and voice acting (if present). It's actually quite an interesting topic, because one could imagine a game, or games, that try to simulate different reactions of characters to various situations throughout the gameplay, if they are opposite genders. How would a man / woman react to this, how would they behave in this particular conversation (through dialogue choices)? We can try to roleplay and choose an approach ourselves to some extent of course, but it's very limited because the gameplay is usually "unisex", so to speak. Would be actually quite intriguing to have a game that includes some of these behavioral differences and even leads to different story outcomes here and there (apart from some more obvious romance choices).

Last edited:
Morrowind - both
KOTOR 1 - only female
KOTOR 2 - both
Oblivion - both, but only female on a full playthrough
Vampire The Mascarade: Bloodlines - only female
Skyrim - only female
Mass Effect trilogy - both
Dragon Age series - only female
Fallout 3, NV, 4 - only female
Cyberpunk 2077 - both

Games don't put much emphasis on gender differences really, apart from visual aspects and voice acting (if present). It's actually quite an interesting topic, because one could imagine a game, or games, that try to simulate different reactions of characters to various situations throughout the gameplay, if they are opposite genders. How would a man / woman react to this, how would they behave in this particular conversation (through dialogue choices)? We can try to roleplay and choose an approach ourselves to some extent of course, but it's very limited because the gameplay is usually "unisex", so to speak. Would be actually quite intriguing to have a game that includes some of these behavioral differences and even leads to different story outcomes here and there (apart from some more obvious romance choices).
True, there's little difference in the end. So I choose the character's gender depending on the companions (KOTOR 2)/romances available. But I generally favor female, and when I want a testosterone-filled game I'll just pop up The Witcher :shrug:

I chose female because of all the characters I play in all my cRPG's approximately 60% are female despite being a guy in real life. It depends on if I can see my character or not, if I cannot see my character most of the time I choose male and rarely female, if I can see my character or can switch the camera between first and third person then I choose female and rarely male.

For the same reason than Eladrius above me, and as i am a women in real life, i play 60% male character XD ! I don't know why, in fiction and story i find easyer to identify myself to the hero when it's a male char... I only play a female characte when i find it more interesting in the context of the story telling. Most of the time, when the gender has no particular importance on the back ground i chose a male.

I prefere to play as a male character, in video games ans in RPG paper games too.

I tried to play a female char' in Cyberpunk2077 twice and... i couldn't X'D I just did the firts introduction sceen and droped it.

I'll try again, as soon as my illuminations issues wLoud be solved.

Last edited:
I am a man and always choose a man in video games as well. Makes it more immersive and believeable. (Sorry ladies).
My main canon one is always a male. Though in some games in 2nd playthrough I do a female run.
KOTOR 1 - Only Male( Sorry, can't imagine Revan being a woman)
KOTOR 2- Done both
Skyrim- Both
Dragon Age - Done both and all kind of variations, though I prefered the Male variant of Human Cousland( Elf Female Dalish was not bad). But Morrigan i loved her character and her looks, def male has better a romance option.
Dragon Age 2- Male
DAI- Both
Cyberpunk 2077- Male only
Mass Effect 1- Male only
Mass Effect 2 - did both(Only because of Garrus romance)
Mass Effect 3- did both
ME Andromeda - Male
Assassins Creed Valhalla and Odyssey- Both. prefered the Male

Last edited:
If it's role playing then preferably the option to choose whatever gender I am but if that's not possible then I'm fine no matter what the gender so long as the story and gameplay is good. That said, it's clear that the medium is dominated by one more than the other and I'm all for mixing things up because it is a bore playing the same type of character every game.

Most of the time, male, to basically roleplay in the main characters shoes, especially in games with custom portraits like Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, and Pathfinder.

Definitely don't have problems playing as a custom female, but I usually reserve that for the following playthroughs and usually modeled after my wife (or in games past, who I was with).

By-accident-at-first and now because it's become sort of a tradition, where the game allows me to pick between genders, I alternate.

First play through of 2077 was female, I played a male Rook in Far Cry 5, I'm playing a female Nomad in GR:BP right now. I'll probably play whatever the next game male.

Definitely don't have problems playing as a custom female, but I usually reserve that for the following playthroughs and usually modeled after my wife (or in games past, who I was with).
(y)
yikes! they must have been very understanding of your gaming seeing themselves being blown away by shotguns and photon grenades in your games...

;)

Being a girl myself I definitely have a preference for playing female characters. Any character with character creation as well as choosing a gender is always a plus. I only play male protagonists if thats the only option (The Bioshock games as an example as I adore them)

Having the option is always good, I find I can better connect to the character (again with a few exceptions) if they’re also female.

Last edited:
Top Bottom