Wolf Gear: quest says to go to Kaer Morhen. wtf? There IS no Kaer Morhen to go to

+
Wolf Gear: quest says to go to Kaer Morhen. wtf? There IS no Kaer Morhen to go to

I'm level 22 now with 193 hours into the game and I've been wearing the starting chest armour the entire time because I can't stand the appearance of any other armour I've come across so far. I want to get the Wolf School gear, which is still way underleveled for me but still an improvement.

However, the Wolf School scavenger hunt quest says I need to go to Kaer Morhen to get it. Seeing as how the only contact with Kaer Morhen I've encountered so far has been in the dream in the prologue, I was baffled how to do this.

So I opened the world map and sure enough there's Kaer Morhen! Well, let's travel there, I thought. Except there's no Fast Travel point to go to (obviously, since we've never even been there in the game.)

Thinking I've surely missed something embarrassingly obvious, I went to IGN's guide to see the instructions for how to get the Wolf gear. Except the instructions and the video itself make no mention of the most obvious predicament of all: how in the name of noonwraiths' tits do I even GET THERE?

Can anyone advise me? If I was just starting out the game I would think "Oh, well, surely sometime later I'll get a chance to go to Kaer Morhen" but it's been 200 hours and I'm 8 levels overleveled already for the basic Wolf gear and there's so far no indication whatsoever how in Eternal Fucking Fire I'm supposed to get this level 14 gear.

In the words of Bernard Loredo: what the arsefuck is going on here? This seems to be something that nobody else is perplexed by but me, and I don't understand why.

Last edited:
Just do the main quests. You'll eventually get there.

Okay, well, I just arrived in Skellige after finishing all the Velen and Novigrad parts of the main quest. And I'm 200 hours into a game which most people finish in ~100 hours, and I'm already 50% overleveled for the armour I seek... so, forgive me, but it strains credulity to imagine that this armour will be useful by the time I get to Kaer Morhen.

Well if you're in Skellige, you can do the ursine school quests. I believe the enhanced ursine gear is level 22.

But I don't want to wear heavy armour.

I don't know what baffles me more: that I can't seem to get a taste of any Wolf School gear until the game's almost over, or that no one else seems to think that's preposterous.

I understand what you mean, you can reach Kaer Morhen in a rather late stage of the game and get the starting wolf armor.
If i may suggest please try cat armor with Cat Gear Reworked the armor look incredible.

Well, I think I'm just going to use a mod that converts the appearance (not stats) of your armour to the mastercrafted school of your choice, and choose Wolf.

Ideally, I'd prefer a mod that converts the Witcher gear of your choice to the equivalent tier of another school of your choice, but I can't seem to find such a mod.

So, yeah, apparently I need to mod my game to let a Witcher of the Wolf school use his own goddamn school's gear before the epic adventure is nearly concluded anyway. Mmkay.

A previous poster claimed that the game is only like 60% through once you get to Kaer Morhen. Is that actually true? Because I'm 200 hours into a game that takes most people ~100 hours to complete and I only now just arrived in Skellige and still have much of Velen that is unexplored. I'll probably be like 300 hours into it by the time I get to Kaer Morhen, so it seems unlikely to me that my game's length would be like L*0.6=300.

Well, I think I'm just going to use a mod that converts the appearance (not stats) of your armour to the mastercrafted school of your choice, and choose Wolf.

Ideally, I'd prefer a mod that converts the Witcher gear of your choice to the equivalent tier of another school of your choice, but I can't seem to find such a mod.

So, yeah, apparently I need to mod my game to let a Witcher of the Wolf school use his own goddamn school's gear before the epic adventure is nearly concluded anyway. Mmkay.

A previous poster claimed that the game is only like 60% through once you get to Kaer Morhen. Is that actually true? Because I'm 200 hours into a game that takes most people ~100 hours to complete and I only now just arrived in Skellige and still have much of Velen that is unexplored. I'll probably be like 300 hours into it by the time I get to Kaer Morhen, so it seems unlikely to me that my game's length would be like L*0.6=300.

He was correct. Your arrival in Skellige puts you at around two-thirds of the way through "Act 1".

The game plays out as follows:

1. Prologue (Kaer Morhen (Yeah...you were actually there at the very beginning of the game.) and White Orchard.).

2. "Act 1" (Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige.).

3. "Act 2" (Kaer Morhen, and a number of places that would spoil the game for you.).

4. "Act 3" (More places that would spoil the game for you.).

5. Epilogue (Additional spoilers.).

It is in "Act 2" that you travel to Kaer Morhen. So, yes...about 50%/60% of the way through the game.

I don't know how you've played the game for 200 hours, and are still in the first main segment. That's some pretty legendary stuff, right there.

Also, I wouldn't modify the game on your first play-through. It takes some of the excitement out of your future accomplishments.

Last edited:
@Aelius28 , as @Eredin_Breacc_Glas has confirmed, the game is far from over when you reach Kaer Morhen. Once you've completed the main quest in Skellige, the path to the Witchers' Stronghold shall be opened to you. The fact that you've already played nearly 200 hours is quite impressive. It also illustrates the versatility of the game's design, since some players arrive at Kaer Morhen more quickly, while others can make a much longer journey of it. There's plenty more to come after Kear Morhen, including some rather powerful moments (so no spoilers). Just keep to the Path, and the way shall be revealed. Good luck, and have fun!

Hmm, that's quite encouraging! I thought Skellige was the last stage before the game was over, just based on the world map.

I'm indeed so hardcore that I have printed out a map of the game and use a highlighter to mark off everywhere I have traveled, with the intent of exploring every square inch. I also travel only at a slow trot, and disable the in-game map's undiscovered location markers so that I don't just omnisciently zip between them without exploring.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

Last edited:
Just to highlight, and pre-empt any future concerns, by the time you get the Wolf Gear, you'll definitely be capable of wearing the Enhanced version, and possibly even the Superior version. It's normal (and something quite a lot of people complain about) to be already up to Enhanced by the time you reach Kaer Morhen, and your play-style does mean that you're overlevelled compared to this "Normal", as I suspect you're already aware :)

Some of the Enhanced and Superior diagrams are in Velen and Skellige. Just mentioning this in case you want to try to pick them up while you're still in the area, rather than go back for them. (Of course, you may already have found some of them :) )

What bothers me a little bit is that you can get the mastercrafted (and probably superior, but not sure in this) wolf set and swords diagram from velen and skellige, but you can't use them, cause you need to get to kaer morhen fist.... They should change the location of the diagrams or something.

Not sure if the bug still exist, but there was a time when that mod changed a bit on stats, regarding witcher sets & swords (e.g. griffin)
But i think he has fixed it, at least, uploaded newer version recently

if you really like the starting armor , you could try this
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/855/?

What bothers me a little bit is that you can get the mastercrafted (and probably superior, but not sure in this) wolf set and swords diagram from velen and skellige, but you can't use them, cause you need to get to kaer morhen fist.... They should change the location of the diagrams or something.

That applies to pretty much all diagrams in the game though, you pick up a lot that you can't use for some reason, like not being a high enough level. And if you're exploring based on area, rather than following the Treasure Hunt, you're going to get the same happening with all the Witcher sets.

That applies to pretty much all diagrams in the game though, you pick up a lot that you can't use for some reason, like not being a high enough level. And if you're exploring based on area, rather than following the Treasure Hunt, you're going to get the same happening with all the Witcher sets.

The difference is that you can get the other Witcher sets if you want to, and the only limitation will be the item level's requirements.

On the other hand, with Wolf gear, it's impossible to obtain regardless of your level until you've gotten to a point in the story where most players are in their 20s if not 30s, far outleveling that basic Wolf Gear.

Why is the gear from Geralt's own damn School the only Witcher Gear that is impossible to acquire between your arrival at Velen and your arrival at Kaer Morhen?

The difference is that you can get the other Witcher sets if you want to, and the only limitation will be the item level's requirements.

On the other hand, with Wolf gear, it's impossible to obtain regardless of your level until you've gotten to a point in the story where most players are in their 20s if not 30s, far outleveling that basic Wolf Gear.

Why is the gear from Geralt's own damn School the only Witcher Gear that is impossible to acquire between your arrival at Velen and your arrival at Kaer Morhen?

That's a fair question and I think the only developer answer we ever got was akin to "Just BECAUSE".

I'll be honest, I used console commands to teleport to Kaer Morhen and get the diagrams there via otherwise normal gameplay. I think locking that particular set behind a quite late story progression barrier was a pretty passive-agressive move by the developers. :-

That's a fair question and I think the only developer answer we ever got was akin to "Just BECAUSE".

I'll be honest, I used console commands to teleport to Kaer Morhen and get the diagrams there via otherwise normal gameplay. I think locking that particular set behind a quite late story progression barrier was a pretty passive-agressive move by the developers. :-

It kinda' makes sense to me that it was AT Kaer Morhen, but maybe they should have made it so that you could travel to Kaer Morhen at ANY point in the story, but that there's nothing to do there until Ugly Baby.

Ideally, I would have liked to see each Witcher set have it's own map.

Feline or Griffin for Velen, the other for Novigrad, Ursine for Skellige, Wolven for Kaer Morhen, and Serpentine for Toussaint.

My disagreement was only with the point raised, that it's a problem that you can get the upgrade diagrams before you get the base set.

As far as the rest of it's concerned, I agree with you. I totally dislike the fact that, even if you're at the suggested levels and haven't overlevelled, you're ready for the Enhanced version by the time you get the Base.

I don't think they should have opened up Kaer Morhen earlier though, as they have specific reasons for opening it up when they do. (And remember that the Wolven set was a DLC, an afterthought, not part of the base game). I think my personal preference would have been for the base set to have been available on the main map, with some story behind it.

My disagreement was only with the point raised, that it's a problem that you can get the upgrade diagrams before you get the base set.

As far as the rest of it's concerned, I agree with you. I totally dislike the fact that, even if you're at the suggested levels and haven't overlevelled, you're ready for the Enhanced version by the time you get the Base.

I don't think they should have opened up Kaer Morhen earlier though, as they have specific reasons for opening it up when they do. (And remember that the Wolven set was a DLC, an afterthought, not part of the base game). I think my personal preference would have been for the base set to have been available on the main map, with some story behind it.

Same here.

C'mon, devs, it's not too late to change it. :p

Top Bottom