Wondering if any Anti-Piracy Game Measures have been put in for TW3 ?

+
With DRM: Legit players get to play Day 1, Pirate gamers get to play Day 2.

May i veto this a bit... with a little reminder how UBIs DRM platform worked UPlay?
aka U FUCK?

Besides that funny reminder... DRM clients and services are not for preventing pirate copys
its about control the content of the customer beyond the release date... which i ll never accept.

Yes TW3 is complete without DRM and any copyprotection (except for D1 prerelease cut code) for PC
Which is good, since the time they might be wasted for anti copy measures went into the game
development itself = better TW3 = good for us all.

Look back at CDPR's ''no DRM policy'' history a little harder.

And no, you have it backwards. DRM does not cause people to pirate more. ROFL how you came up with this is beyond me.

But you are in fact correct in one assumption - i do not trust people. I dont trust many people. Hell, i dont even trust YOU. The Witcher Wild Hunt is already on torrent sites - read the news as its all over it. How you missed that is beyond me (or your in media/social media blackout to avoid spoilers i guess) but everyone knows by now. This is half the reason i dont trust anyone on the internet.

CPR and other game devs factor in piracy. It is inevitable and the harder you fight it with DRM the more you harm your loyal customers. CPR know this and as a result have done very well without it. The fact that CPR are doing well is proof that no DRM works and thus proves your point of view (that more DRM should be used) is... misguided.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on the merits of DRM.

I've different views on piracy. It's more akin to sharing than stealing, and any attempt for a counter measure usually doesn't defeat piracy outright. It can be slowed down; not necessarily vanquished. Where there's a will to pirate, then there'll always be a way to pirate.

May i veto this a bit... with a little reminder how UBIs DRM platform worked UPlay?
aka U FUCK?

Besides that funny reminder... DRM clients and services are not for preventing pirate copys
its about control the content of the customer beyond the release date... which i ll never accept.

Yes TW3 is complete without DRM and any copyprotection (except for D1 prerelease cut code) for PC
Which is good, since the time they might be wasted for anti copy measures went into the game
development itself = better TW3 = good for us all.

Exactly. legit customers jump through, sometimes, numerous hoops.. while pirates have a smooth trouble free gaming experience.

DRM has both good and bad merits.

Lets just agree that we disagree on both opinions.

I only hope for some kind of hilarious anti-piracy measure, other than that I dont really have any problem with DRM or how CDPR decided to deal with it :).

I am like, *I dont mind just wished they could troll the pirates in a funny way*.

Piracy doesn't kill games. It kills bad games, and helps the good ones.

I started off the Witcher series by pirating and playing The Witcher 2.
After finishing it once, I then proceeded to buy it, and pre-order a Collector Edition of The Witcher 3.

If your game is a good one, you have nothing to worry about.
Plus, all the anti-piracy measures in the world won't stop people from pirating it.
The cracking teams (like 3dm) are quite skilled and any measure implemented would be a terrible waste of time.

Tldr: The only thing to counter piracy is creating good games.

So you only spend some more money on the things you steal that you like?
If game studios make a good game some people will buy it on top of stealing it.
That people steal stuff successfully means don't bother about preventing them doing it.

Congratulations, for introducing me to the dumbest post I've read on this forum.
On top of that, your own comfort with theft is morally bankrupt.

After finishing it once, I then proceeded to buy it, and pre-order a Collector Edition of The Witcher 3.

Plus, all the anti-piracy measures in the world won't stop people from pirating it.
The cracking teams (like 3dm) are quite skilled and any measure implemented would be a terrible waste of time.

I am assuming you didn't buy the Witcher 2 at full price but bought it on a steam sale? You know the Dev barely gets any profit from that, right?

Also, anti pirating measures in Lords of the Fallen prevented piracy for at least several months. I am still not sure if that game was ever cracked.

I am all for anti piracy measures. I detest piracy. Gaming is not a necessity, its a luxury. Just because a small percentage of pirates will end up buying the game after pirating says little about the other 95% who will never end up paying for it, or who will end up buying the game long after its initial release. And "I just want to get the feel for the game first" and then maybe I will buy it at a bargain argument is bogus.

The initial release and several months after that is where most profit comes from. After that, the game price falls.

For instance, most YouTube videos get most of their views within the first week of being posted.

If anti piracy measures actually prevented pirating a game at the time and shortly after the release date, then surely that may prompt some pirates to cough up the dough.

Last edited:
Well if it starts getting personal and off topic(like OVERDID it) feel free to lock the thread.

Off-topic, I believe someone should make a thread with title *This is the place to beat each other with the beating stick*, would be interesting I dare say.

I am assuming you didn't buy the Witcher 2 at full price but bought it on a steam sale? You know the Dev barely gets any profit from that, right?
I played it a month ago, bought it right after I finished it, so yes. Every single price was pretty much below 10€.
That's also what encouraged me in buying the Collector Edition for TW3. A game like TW2 for roughly 5€ felt like robbery, and I had to do something to tell CDPR "Good job, mates".

I don't really think it's OK to criticise someone for that, is it? Buying in a sale is perfectly acceptable.

---------- Updated at 09:59 PM ----------

Off-topic, I believe someone should make a thread with title *This is the place to beat each other with the beating stick*, would be interesting I dare say.

We have considered it, believe me. Unfortunately, I don't think people would be satisfied with just beating each other.

CDPR does not believe in anti piracy measures because they don't believe they represent a lost sale. The majority of pirates wont buy the game so they are not a lost sale . Yes they are a person playing the game without paying but is every pirate copy a copy that would have sold? I don't think so, industry experts don't think so and CDPR doesn't think so.

You are better off ignoring pirates and instead focusing on a better game experience then putting a portion of your development budget on drm or creative ways to foil a pirate. Once ANY anti-piracy measure is identified it is removed. These creative anti-piracy measures get foiled and all that time and effort is lost. That time and effort would have been better spent on making the game better for your legit customers.There is more than enough evidence that shows how anti-piracy measure hurt the paying customers. We have likely all heard the stories of how Assassins creeds servers were overloaded so the only people who could play the game hassle free right after launch were the pirates.

We as paying customers have to stop being worried about pirates too. let them be. They are not lost sales. Gamers seem far too concerned about the "other" guy. The other guy is playing now and I am not the other guy is pirating the game and I am not STOP HIM! Relax and just play YOUR game and just enjoy YOUR experience.

[edit] oh god and we sure as hell have to sop measuring our metaphoric dicks based on if we bought the game on sale or not. Really people?

Last edited:

there's an other factor that should be considered, such as the fact that game devs no longer publish demos, and even if they did, they'd not represent the game properly (SW: force unleashed II) or even paid ones (MGS:GZ). so people now are kinda encouraged in a way to pirate a game, to know if it's any good.

Then let's start pirating Ubi/EA games! yaayy

We have considered it, believe me. Unfortunately, I don't think people would be satisfied with just beating each other.

Sorry for going more offtopic here, I hope that's okay :-
We do have such a thread in my own forum where I am admin. The forum is a bit more personal than here, but shouldn't be really different for such a thing. Every time people start going personal on each other, we link them to the "mudslinging thread" (kinda cool name :p ). After a few weeks they even started to post there from the beginning if they have something, and didn't spam the other threads with this anymore.
For us the most important point was: Moderators will not meddle in this thread and those discussions. That would lead to flamewars against moderation. We just watch what users do there and sometimes remove things if they go too bad. There shouldn't be too much censoring though, then the whole sense of this thread gets lost. We have come to an agreement wich most users accept/tolerate: If one user insults or offends another, and he reacts the same way, both agree that this is okay in this thread and it does not need to be moderated.
I must say it worked quite well! I mean you can't deny there are many people who are very emotional and need some place to vent on something or someone. And most do that stuff online.
So for us, this thread was the best idea we had and it worked (except a few days where we had to temporary close it, and open it the day after again).
It has two big advantages: (Most) people stop complaining their discussions or complaints where censored. Cause they aren't. Users who just want to enjoy the forum and hate reading such unrelated or bad stuff can enjoy the forum, they just don't need to click that topic.

I think you moderators know this forum better than me (I must admit I was not very active, far less than I would like to), so I just wanted to drop this story, maybe it will help you, or you will think about that.

And back to topic:
Haven't seen the Alan Wake pirate thing before, this is really funny xD
I don't think CDPR has used any of such mechanisms.

Top Bottom