Working with Steam and Steam Issues

+
I am doing my first playthrough of the Witcher games in sequence, and I have been doing so recently on Windows 10. I had no issues making my way through Witcher 1 on Steam, but when I tried to launch Witcher 2 from Steam, it presented me with this error when trying to open the launcher.

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

This popped up right as it finished the first time set-up, and every subsequent time I have tried to open the game. I have tried opening and running Steam, the Witcher 2 Launcher, and the Witcher 2 Game EXEs all in Administrator mode, and this error pops up no matter what. I have made sure my drivers and OS are up to date, I have rebooted numerous times, and I have verified the game cache and reinstalled the game multiple times to no avail. I have searched a bit online and here on the forums and have not been able to find anybody with this specific issue, so I am at a loss for how to get it to run properly on Steam.

I would like to get it to run on Steam, just for the sake of convenience as well as just to keep everything on the platform since that's where I own the series. I found out about being able to use my CD Key on GOG, and I was able to download the game through GOG Galaxy get it to run through there. I don't know why the game plays fine on GOG, but not on Steam. I will continue to do my playthrough on GOG, and switch back to Steam for Witcher 3 if I end up finishing 2 before I fix this problem, but I would like to switch back for Witcher 2 if possible.

Does anybody here know of any possible solutions for this, or know of methods I could try to troubleshoot that I haven't already done? As a side question, if I am able to get it to work on Steam, will I able to use my save file from the GOG playthrough in the Steam version?

Thanks!

You shouldn't have any problem with the saves. Recently one of my steam-friends was having the same issue. Updating Direct -X seems to do the trick for him.

That's one of my issues though. How am I supposed to update DirectX if I'm on Windows 10 and have DirectX 12 installed? I ran the DX Updater / Installer from Microsoft and it determined I already had the latest DirectX. Still doesn't fix the issue. I e-mailed CDPR about it, and after suggesting some fixes that failed to resolve the problem, they just said "Play the GOG version and contact Steam Support." I think we all know that "Steam support" is just an oxymoron anyway.

I would like to ask if someone fixed or find solution for steam overlay window ingame.... I cant open it (and yes its enabled).

the permanent solution: abandon steam and embrace gog. :p
Though that's not really a solution to all problems. I've seen countless threads of witcher 2 issues with steam though.

Well game is working fine just cant make screenshots via steam :/

---------- Updated at 10:44 PM ----------

Ehm..... I have ust randomly fixed it.

I had to set it back to shift+tab and not use "home" button to open steam overlay window. Its working now. lol :/

Hi all, for about a month I've been trying to get past the first scene with Triss in the bedroom but as soon as I select "Time to Leave" from the dialog option it crashes to the desktop without any error message. For one month I've scoured the internet in search of an answer but alas I couldn't find one and am hoping someone can help me here.

I'm currently having the issue where it loops between the initial launcher menu, Steam loading Microsoft XDirect, then giving permission to the launcher, then back to the menu again.

Strangely it worked straight after installation, then not following a restart with no settings changed. Prior to this issue it had worked on my computer for a month with no issues. In brief, I'm on Windows 10, have validated all files and given permissions via firewalls etc. I can only assume it's a setting or program somewhere.

Last edited:
How to register Witcher 2 from the PC game menu? The link is broken. Here's the hyperlink:

http%3A//en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dglobal%26section%3Dregister&r=&bc=
Post automatically merged:

Oh my gosh, Witcher 1 crashed on me so many times. I downloaded it on Steam for Windows 10. After replaying about 5 hours of the game from multiple crashes, I've ingrained a habit of saving every 15 minutes or after a major battle.
I posted in your other thread about registering.
As far as crashes many many things can cause it. There are some things to try of course such as disabling Steam overlay, running Steam as admin., stopping automatic updaters while you are playing the game, and also trimming saves that you don`t need any longer, and making an exception for the witcher in your antivirus

Top Bottom