Worries about the jackets.

+
That's really interesting but I could not possibly disagree more, of course in the most polite way possible. The more customization I have access to, the more immersed I am in the game. It's just more fun with no drawbacks at all. Everyone who doesn't like or care about customization have the total freedom to completely ignore it as well, unless of course it matters and has some kind of effect, in which case they can specifically choose to have fun with that in any situations in the game that call for it, but really, huge customization = win win for everyone. I'm just thinking, at some point in the game, I going to see some clothing or armor and go "WHOA, this is the coolest armor/clothes in the entire game.... I want my V wearing that" and then eventually find a way to get it and get a huge psychological boost of enjoyment knowing my V is walking around looking on the outside the way I feel on the inside. You know what I mean? So cool!
I love customization, I just feel frustrated at not being able to see any of it and feel it's like a carrot being dangled on a stick. It feels like I'm being jerked around. Like being able to go see paintings in a museum but being forced to wear a blindfold the whole time. You know the paintings are there but what's the point in being at the museum if you can't look at them? Ugh sorry I'm such a curmudgeon, I can't help it. If I can't see my customization I at least want there to be another point to it besides simply visual (such as changing the perception of other characters towards you).

I just hope that no matter what that we will be able to equip the best stat armor/clothing "underneath" and equip the best visually appealing clothing/armor "over" on top. I want my V to look really good, but a lot of video games usually make the best stat items look horrible, so I am very scared about this.

If I can equip the best stat items, but hidden, and then choose which items I want V to LOOK like they are wearing, that would be so cool, because then I wouldn't have to suffer between choosing to look bad with good stats, or having terrible stats and looking good.

I understand this, but I'm personally against it to some level. In other words, I favor a more realistic approach, let me give a simple example: I like style and my corpo suit. But a better or "best" armor would be a huge armor suit full of ballistic plates, making you look almost like that Arasaka super cyborg guy we've seen recently in the trailer.

Obviously, with my little suit and fabric (even if it has special abilities) I can never reach the best protection value. It's simply a style over substance (or practicality?) choice. Likewise if I want big protection but style I shouldn't be overly confused if people (at a social event, e.g.) comment at me looking out of place or like a tank. No clue how deep the NPC response system (in general or specific situations) will be in terms of clothing or gear equipped but I assume it will occasionally be a thing, if NPCs already comment on you staring at them or being to close to them, I would assess they would comment your clothing when it makes sense.

But this game, due to its setting, offers a compromise you might like or seem fitting. I assume that the augmentations and upgrades you can install into your body like more hardened skin or subdermal armor would allow you a compromise to retain good protection while wearing your ... favorite clothing that might not have the best stats on its own.

TL;DR: I get the convenience factor but I personally prefer it more realistic or, rather, without a "hidden item slot" or item slots for clothing that are displayed over your actual gear, masking them. But we'll see what we get come release day. I guess a system you propose wouldn't even hurt because those who want it more "realistic" can chose simply not to use those slots.

In reality other people see your appearance and form an opinion on it, in reality you can feel what you're wearing, if it's hot or cold, comfortable or not, the texture and details, etc...In reality you can see your body from the chest down rather than just hands or in the case of fancy athletic maneuvers: legs. In Morrowind there was a very rudimentary system of NPCs commenting on what kind of clothing or armor your character had equipped, in some games certain outfits let you pass for a certain group or faction which can make NPCs friendly or hostile. If there are systems like that in the game then having different outfits makes sense. If not, there's no point. You don't see the character 99% of the time or more so you can imagine they're wearing whatever you like.

Despite other arguments I wanted to bring, there is a simple one that kind of forces different visual representations of clothing: In the end you will see your character and what he is wearing at specific places or under certain conditions, so they need to add in a visual representation unlike in a game where you do not see your character at all, 100% of the time.

What is the alternative to it? Completely cutting any moment where you see yourself like in a mirror? Or having each wearable look the same like a grey jumpsuit? That can't be an alternative.

In other words, just because you might not see your character as often as you could by implementing other mechanics like a third person camera doesn't necessarily mean the visual representation (mesh, texture) of clothing becomes useless. I am also fairly certain that your clothing of choice matters in a social context on occasion, with people possibly commenting on it or reacting. If I go to a high socialite corpo event dressed as bum or Nomad I'm expecting some remarks, just as I would expect to theoretically be immediately provoked or also shot at if I was wearing wrong gang clothing in the wrong turf, or enter the combat zone looking like a cop, if we can put those uniforms on.

Certain clothing might indeed cover things you mentioned in your post, like let you pass as someone. Hard to say, I don't recall (still valid) dev quotes on this, nor do I know every street story or quest of the game where this could be a thing, nor do I know how big the range of clothing is.

Will it be a wider set of general clothing like jackets or suits and shirts? Will the look always be 'civilian' in nature while other things people or factions wear are off-limits to the protagonist? Or will the clothing we can equip also include classic armor suits or vests, maybe even uniforms and faction wearables? If so, would wearing those things provoke anything from the same faction or opposing factions?

Questions, questions. Only time will truly tell, once we can play and see it for ourselves.

Long coat and transparent jacket/coat.

Cyberpunk2077_Whats_your_style_RGB.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want 80s or 90s style clothing. They should more add clothing of this decade. Can't be stuck in the 80s or 90s. Clothing changes from decade to decade.

? Clothing decades recycle. If you aren't aware of that, then I don't think you know about fashion.

Almost just like in reality. Do you see yourself like in third person or are you always near a mirror?

In a game obviously less people will react or mind you (long-term) depending on what you put on compared to reality but it's not like you have to see yourself all the time for clothing to make sense from a style or practical perspective.

-------------------

Would indeed be interesting to see how you might be able to "mix and match". In my mind I think you can to some extend as different objects will be in categories like "gloves, shirt, jacket" implying it will be possible to some extend. If this is or will be the case, the picture above means we're looking not just at one hard set but individual pieces of a set.

In real life do you drive your car from 3rd Person?

I just feel frustrated at not being able to see any of it and feel it's like a carrot being dangled on a stick.

Absolutely. 95% of all negative elements this game has going against it from my perspective. (the other 5% being the music) In every adventure game/rpg I play, I regularly admire how my own character looks in 3rd person. But we can't change it no matter how much we cry. Its still the only meaningful cyberpunk game. I will still play this, while crying slightly inside for how much better it could be.

In real life do you drive your car from 3rd Person?

In real life I dont drive my car with keyboard and mouse.

No. Still, it's an assistance in games.

Then how come Far Cry and other FPS games do not have that option?

I'm just saying, the whole "first person to add immersion" argument goes down the drain as soon as you switch to 3rd person driving.
Post automatically merged:

Now we're talking

In the trailer 2 lizzies are wearing transparent skirts as they beat up a dude in the alley.

I am also fairly certain that your clothing of choice matters in a social context on occasion, with people possibly commenting on it or reacting. If I go to a high socialite corpo event dressed as bum or Nomad I'm expecting some remarks, just as I would expect to theoretically be immediately provoked or also shot at if I was wearing wrong gang clothing in the wrong turf, or enter the combat zone looking like a cop, if we can put those uniforms on.

Certain clothing might indeed cover things you mentioned in your post, like let you pass as someone. Hard to say, I don't recall (still valid) dev quotes on this, nor do I know every street story or quest of the game where this could be a thing, nor do I know how big the range of clothing is.
I'm really hoping that's the case. Too many games have no reaction at all to clothing, even when they should (such as trying to be in disguise but you're wearing your normal outfit, walking into some faction's territory dressed like their enemies, etc...)

I'm really hoping that's the case. Too many games have no reaction at all to clothing, even when they should (such as trying to be in disguise but you're wearing your normal outfit, walking into some faction's territory dressed like their enemies, etc...)

I think the issue with this is that it requires - just like many other things - dedicated effort to implement. Unless it's part of a hard plot mission or an intended game mechanic (think of Fallout New Vegas that had it as some sort of normal game mechanic and not just a special mission like Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, where you briefly put on an enemy uniform on a hostile ship during a side quest for a bit.

I'm thinking that with advancing technology and possible AI integration into the development process of games, such possibly realistic measures become easier to implement on average.

I don't know how extensive Cyberpunk 2077 will be in this regard. We can assume that you'll at least be able to dress up as part of a main mission if you look at the recent trailer because you go to a certain place to get something you couldn't get otherwise - but I'm more curious about if this will be a mild or moderate aspect outside of such story missions. But whether we get to see a lot, a bit or nothing of this, it'll likely be more of a thing in games of the future or any CP follow-up games.

My prediction?
There must be some of this present beyond story missions even if it's mostly some remarks from some NPCs because they already go for a level of detail where NPCs react to you staring at them or being in their personal bubble too long as strangers, as recent interviews or reviews say. I would assume that a few remarks or reactions based on your clothing wouldn't be too otherworldly or out of the realm of possibility then.

Or wearing emperor's new clothes...

Top Bottom