Worst Cards

+
Haha, I actually do use Xarthisius and Treason. Treason by itself is pretty weak most of the time, but when you KNOW what you're getting with Xarthisius it can be quite good. You guys know treason can pull silver cards too right?

DRK3;n8909900 said:
I swear i was actually gonna create this topic now! (well, not exactly the same, but the Worst Gold Cards)

In the Closed Beta, i couldnt get enough Legendaries, they had awesome effects and i always wanted that other one. But now, its been like a month or so (i genuinely forgot when the OB came) and almost all of the Legendaries seem bad! Well, except for Nilfgaard ones, but i dont want to play that faction that most people are using...

I'm pretty sure you've got it mixed up mate... We're in Closed Beta now, and the old version was Open Beta.
The difference is, that in closed beta, new applications aren't accepted.

fw_k

Forum regular
i admit i'm not a well versed card player, but i quite like the Botchling/Lubberkin duo.
it has some flexibility, too.. if it gets killed, you gain double its points on the board immediately. or if it stays on board, you get point advantage (10 to 15 usually) in the next round, which is quite nice and can balance out when you end up at a card disadvantage, which happens often if you win the coin flip.
besides, they have cool art and they are lore friendly characters from one of the most memorable Witcher 3 questlines.
i think they could be tweaked a bit though, so that they don't stay in the graveyard.. or at least the Lubberkin doesn't!

but please someone explain to me the use of Thaler, who as a disloyal unit gives 11 points plus to the opponent and you get a meagre +1 basically random card from your deck..??

then there's another card i don't remember now, that creates a base copy of a card in your hand in both players hands. wtf? i'm not getting that one.. anyone can enlighten me about it's huge advantages?

then how about the wonderful Blue Stripes Commando Trio, with this effect: "Whenever you complete a Blue Stripes Commando Trio, create 1 base copy of a Blue Stripes Commando on the bottom of your Deck"? whatever is that good for and why should i bother???

fw_k;n8941090 said:
but please someone explain to me the use of Thaler, who as a disloyal unit gives 11 points plus to the opponent and you get a meagre +1 basically random card from your deck..??

Card Advantage Spies, like Thaler, give you card advantage. More info here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...tarella-frightener-thaler-udalryk-and-yaevinn

fw_k;n8941090 said:
then there's another card i don't remember now, that creates a base copy of a card in your hand in both players hands. wtf? i'm not getting that one.. anyone can enlighten me about it's huge advantages?

The idea behind Operator is that you give your opponent a card that is useless for them, but very good for you. For example, Queensguard, Reaver Scout, Arachas, Vran Warrior, etc. The card can be very good when copy a card that synergizes with your deck.

fw_k;n8941090 said:
then how about the wonderful Blue Stripes Commando Trio, with this effect: "Whenever you complete a Blue Stripes Commando Trio, create 1 base copy of a Blue Stripes Commando on the bottom of your Deck"? whatever is that good for and why should i bother???

Because you can keep summoning a BSC when you play a unit of the same strength. They are not bad, just limited.

fw_k

Forum regular
4RM3D;n8941420 said:
Card Advantage Spies, like Thaler, give you card advantage. More info here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...tarella-frightener-thaler-udalryk-and-yaevinn
thanks for the link. i can just take the word of more experienced players that the "CA gain + losing the round" is actually statistically worth it.

4RM3D;n8941420 said:
Because you can keep summoning a BSC when you play a unit of the same strength. They are not bad, just limited.
seems to me this one is actually too limited. by the time you work up to a Trio of these you may quite easily be out of all the same strength units. even if not, you gain only a marginal point bonus, unless you simultaneously managed to work up the strength of the same level units with Kaedweni Sergeants. in addition to that, by that time you have too many units of the same power on the board and most probably in the same row, too, which makes your board quite vulnerable to enemy attacks. who'd bother?

Sorry I haven't replied in a while guys.

But uh, Old Speartip was so good in the closed beta that they made him into a gold card. That's impressive imo.

Yeah, the Blue Stripes Commando trio ability is rather weak when you compare it to Wild Hunt Riders and Reaver Hunters.

A few jump to mind:

Manticore Venom - Sure, it's theoretically a 20 point play. But the conditions necessary are absurd. You've gotta count on your opponent lining up 5 non-Gold units on one row. Additionally, they've all gotta be at least 5 strength to get full value. That basically never happens. It's also basically out of your control. Row *buffs* can at least be useful in the right deck. You can set them up with a lot of swarm units and deliberate row-stacking. But you can't do that with row damagers. Also though, why would you ever conceivably run this over Arachas Venom? It's a bronze and it does just as much damage, the only downside is it hits two fewer units. But as previously mentioned, the odds of having five targets in the first place is incredibly low.

Treason - Straight up atrocious without Xarthisius. At best you get super lucky and pull a silver card which this already is. At worst you pull a useless bronze that doesn't help you at all because it's designed for your opponent's deck and not yours. Even with Xarthisius though...why? The benefits of running this (maybe denying the opponent the use of a silver card) just don't come close to the lost opportunity to run a better silver of your own with more synergy with your own deck. And that's to say nothing of the times you draw this without Xarth and it becomes trash.

Birna Bran - Best case scenario, this is a *Gold card* that takes 5 turns to do 10 damage and in the short term gives them 5 strength. Sure, moving a card to your graveyard is potentially useful. But it's also super situational and even in the best situations, hardly worth running this absolute garbage card.

Shadow - Why would you ever waste a silver slot just to get a couple extra points with virtually the same effect as Harpy?

Jutta An Dimun - Again, so not worth a silver slot just to get a couple extra points on essentially a An Craite Warrior.

Ice Giant - A 10 strength bronze in the best case scenario. That's not great. A 5 strength in other scenarios. Terrible.

Chort - See above.

Regis - 15 strength isn't actually *that* great for a gold. But it's definitely not good for a gold with such a slow and situational effect.

ikillchicken;n8943980 said:
A few jump to mind:

Manticore Venom - Sure, it's theoretically a 20 point play. But the conditions necessary are absurd. You've gotta count on your opponent lining up 5 non-Gold units on one row. Additionally, they've all gotta be at least 5 strength to get full value. That basically never happens. It's also basically out of your control. Row *buffs* can at least be useful in the right deck. You can set them up with a lot of swarm units and deliberate row-stacking. But you can't do that with row damagers. Also though, why would you ever conceivably run this over Arachas Venom? It's a bronze and it does just as much damage, the only downside is it hits two fewer units. But as previously mentioned, the odds of having five targets in the first place is incredibly low.

Treason - Straight up atrocious without Xarthisius. At best you get super lucky and pull a silver card which this already is. At worst you pull a useless bronze that doesn't help you at all because it's designed for your opponent's deck and not yours. Even with Xarthisius though...why? The benefits of running this (maybe denying the opponent the use of a silver card) just don't come close to the lost opportunity to run a better silver of your own with more synergy with your own deck. And that's to say nothing of the times you draw this without Xarth and it becomes trash.

Birna Bran - Best case scenario, this is a *Gold card* that takes 5 turns to do 10 damage and in the short term gives them 5 strength. Sure, moving a card to your graveyard is potentially useful. But it's also super situational and even in the best situations, hardly worth running this absolute garbage card.

Shadow - Why would you ever waste a silver slot just to get a couple extra points with virtually the same effect as Harpy?

Jutta An Dimun - Again, so not worth a silver slot just to get a couple extra points on essentially a An Craite Warrior.

Ice Giant - A 10 strength bronze in the best case scenario. That's not great. A 5 strength in other scenarios. Terrible.

Chort - See above.

Regis - 15 strength isn't actually *that* great for a gold. But it's definitely not good for a gold with such a slow and situational effect.

birna is actually 20 damage over 5 turns, which would not have been really terrible.. IF it wasn't so easily mitigrated. Apart from the fact that it's a short term advantage for the recepient, it's most major drawback is that every single gold, including leaders, can basically block her, making her essentially a 10 power gold at best, which is terrible.

if she could hit gold units, which i think it's fair, she would be ok-ish

as for regis, 15 power gold is actually quite good, and how he forces opponent to play around him is also good, but he is basically countered by the fact that the whole OB meta is all about early tempo, and thus his condition is easily answered.

RobRavenclaw;n8946510 said:
In fact, both Yennifer gold cards are, in my opinion, very weak.

Yennefer (not yen con )is actually one of the better neutral golds, and can be really strong in some decks.

scorba;n9124580 said:
so what are the cards that you don't see played at all / would never include in your deck nowadays?

http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50150-restore
I'm mostly baffled by this one, not even Resurrect SK decks use it. if only it gave the Restored unit some boost or something, but I don't get it in its current form.

It would be wonderful if it could strengthen unit by 3-4 let's say.

Pavetta, nothing is worse than that. Specially for a silver card lol
all NR golds sucks. Disappointing really.
Mirror is also meee
lumber kin mover saw it in the game
Regis
Sile
Zoltan deserves better
Sabrina

scorba;n9124580 said:
so what are the cards that you don't see played at all / would never include in your deck nowadays?

http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50150-restore
I'm mostly baffled by this one, not even Resurrect SK decks use it. if only it gave the Restored unit some boost or something, but I don't get it in its current form.

Fun fact, i faced a monster deck today that used this card (¿?). think its the first time i see this card being played :eredinfacepalm:

This card could be a "Silver Renew", but in the current state, is outright unplayable.

supafreaky;n9130370 said:
Frightener. A silver who's only purpose is to boost Kayran slightly higher than several bronze

The frightener? The frightener is a pretty good card, draw 1 card, and a slight bonus of positioning another enemy under a weather effect or to ease a igni trigger. Whats bad about frightener?

you're throwing your opponent a 10 pt boost. even if I was to lower myself to a weather player, moving one card into that weather isn't worth it. In my opinion.

supafreaky;n9130440 said:
you're throwing your opponent a 10 pt boost. even if I was to lower myself to a weather player, moving one card into that weather isn't worth it. In my opinion.

Cardadvantage? Play it in a round you think you are going to loose anyway. Admittedly, most people have caught up to the concept these days and rarely play another card after you played your faction specific CA-spycard-with-flavor (unless it is R2 and they have to). I would think that frightener is even better than most because being able to move allows you to do fun things like prepare a row for GIgni and weather (as was mentioned).

Top Bottom