Worst Gold Cards - Poll

+

Worst Gold Cards - Poll

• Total voters

DRK3

Forum veteran
Worst Gold Cards - Poll

So, in your opinion, what are the Top 5 worst gold cards in Gwent? I'll present the 5 i think are the worst in the poll, but if you dont agree feel free to express your choices.

Some of these are so bad they're barely ever seen, even if you have hundreds of hours of experience.

Hopefully CDPR sees this and decides to do something about them... (its a longshot, i know)

DRK3

Forum veteran
I feel specially bad for Dandelion: Vainglory, which has a super awesome concept - like Ciri Nova, but the restriction instead of being on bronzes, is on the other golds, if you want to maximize its effect.

I love that it motivates the creation of a theme deck (the main "good guys" of the Witcher Universe), but a boosted 18 pts for such a sacrifice is terrible. This one is really easy to improve - make the buff 4 instead of 3 for each of Dandelion's companions on the deck, that way, it can be a 21 (boosted) pt gold - still not as good as Nova, but at least it would see some play, at least by players who love theme decks like me.

I think Dandelion: Vainglory and Vernon: Merciless were made for the arena. Vainglory can be 18 points in constructed(maybe it could be used in a ST movement deck), Vernon: Merciless in constructed is useless (it just needs an "or" ability to make it usable, for example OR Deal 9 damage to an enemy).

Sihil is not useless, it's just hard to play.

Saessenthesis: Blaze usage.

There are 2 cards that I can't recall if I ever seen in ranked: Vabjorn, Zoltan: Scoundrel, but that doesn't mean they are bad, there are just much better gold cards.

Last edited:
Agreed about Sihil. This single card is the bane of every foltest. Plus you can stick it in any deck that likes a long round or if you simply want to improve your long round :) It might even work with spies or hyperthinning decks, so that you know what it will pull with its third option :)

Here is an example: SK veteran deck with Tuirseach Archers instead of Hunters and Sihil - Ulfheddin. I quite like this one. Archers empower the Ulfie and align targets to odd or even power for the Sihil :) however you forego the ability to ADC or use Crach to tutor Vets so I use King Bran instead :)

Last edited:
ser2440;n10852751 said:
Agreed about Sihil. This single card is the bane of every foltest. Plus you can stick it in any deck that likes a long round or if you simply want to improve your long round :) It might even work with spies or hyperthinning decks, so that you know what it will pull with its third option :)

Here is an example: SK veteran deck with Tuirseach Archers instead of Hunters and Sihil - Ulfheddin. I quite like this one. Archers empower the Ulfie and align targets to odd or even power for the Sihil :) however you forego the ability to ADC or use Crach to tutor Vets so I use King Bran instead :)

Great idea, I have to try something like that, thanks!

Sihil is also great with Bloody Baron in a machine deck, where you can align enemies to power of 3 and destroy them all, optionally with Sabrina or Iris included :D Great meme card, 5/7 would recommend.

Vainglory comes into its own in Arena. The largest Vainglory I've had played against me was 27pts, but there are some Swim vids on YT where he was able to create a 30pt Vainglory. I wouldn't even consider it in constructed.

Sihil is also a "good" card in Arena when you pair it with Tremors/Ulfheddin and constructed against certain decks, but it's far too situational to be included in a constructed deck.

The rest are pretty poor - but the absolute worst is probably Gaunter; he's not good in either constructed or Arena, and is more often than not 6pts. I've seen Gaunter provide some good cards, but even if you get his bet right, chances are you'll end up with a 4pt Foglet or something else just as worthless.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I see we got some strong supporters of Sihil... The reasons i chose it as one of the worst are: only ever seen it used once. Even most Harald Axemen deck prefer to use Ulfheddin, SK Storm, Gold Weather or even Rock Slide as more reliable ways to do damage multiple times.

The 'play a random bronze or silver from deck' might be just useful so you dont totally brick Sihil, but the effect is even worse than a lot of silvers who allow you to choose what you want to play from deck.

And the damage effects, might have some potential for really long rounds and vs swarm decks, but the trouble you have to go to have all enemy units with odd or even pts to make it more useful than a Rockslide throws me off, maybe im just that lazy.

Out of those you presented, definitely Vernon is the worst (both by design and by playability).

Not the worst card, but Iorveth Meditation is not that good since its nerf not long ago. There's always a slave driver, an elven scout or whatnot to ruin its potential.

I can't think of worst cards than poor Vernon though.

Also, I liked the old Gaunter much more. I ran it for a while just for the laughs and it was fun, enemies thanking you for giving them a card every once in a while. I'd like to see that mechanic return in some other form, like sacrificing a unit for a random better or same quality card. As long as they don't go crazy with the RNG all over the place, it can be quality fun in casual.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Romanians Yeah Gaunter is another one that would be easy to fix - just restore it to its original effect, which wouldnt make it a great card, but it would be much better than now, and make more sense lore-wise: being a high-risk high-reward card instead of a boring brick.

Hmm, kambi?

I mean, vernon roche at least gives you 6 points on the table.

Not to mention any combo with kambi also relies on having CA to not be completely counterable by pretty much anything. And since the devs went the path of "restrict CA gain as much as possible" that card is dead for good at least until october no matter what.

Gaunter was pretty bad and they fixed him to be really bad. Blaze is kind of mind-boggling, too. Don't think I've ever seen it used in ranked. Other bad gold cards: Yrden, Ciri, Meditation (yay, fixed), Yen-Con. Sihil is definitely not as bad as some of these. Drawing a card sort of bails it out a bit.

Sihil can get you some pretty crazy value in long rounds tbh.... I picked Blaze because it's terrible for the decks that I make. I would have picked Merciless but he's kinda ok in Arena.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Barracuda88;n10859141 said:
Gaunter was pretty bad and they fixed him to be really bad. Blaze is kind of mind-boggling, too. Don't think I've ever seen it used in ranked. Other bad gold cards: Yrden, Ciri, Meditation (yay, fixed), Yen-Con. Sihil is definitely not as bad as some of these. Drawing a card sort of bails it out a bit.

Gotta disagree, specially with Yennefer: Conjurer. She's not as effective as Triss Butterfly, as Triss Butterfly relies on your deck building, but Triss Butt is usually immediately removed, while Yen Con isnt - being 10 pts make it outside of Alzurs Thunder range, which allows you to heal / strengthen it if damaged, and in a long round can be super deadly, or at least will put a lot of pressure on the opponent who cant leave his highest units for last or his entire board will be reduced to a low equal value.

Sihil is underrated. Not great; but it's a staple of a couple of my decks and I consistently get good value. Gaunter's downside is too great but at least he gives you a reward for playing him in Arena. And speaking of Arena, Dandelion and Vernon are meant to be used there and not in any other mode. And as for Blaze, it's such a brutal form of Mulligan but I wonder whether this is better than we first give it credit for.

Why is Blaze on this list??? The card is really quite good i used it for a good amount of time. Its not a must include card sure but its nowhere near bad either. If she just had about 15 power the card would be amazing

Top Bottom