Would Geralt want to live in *our* world ?

+
Would Geralt want to live in *our* world ?

We've spent a lot of time discussing whether or not we would want to live in Geralt's world (or universe), but after checking out the new Kazakh fan site and their very funny Geralt "out of context" gallery, I began to wonder: hmmm ... would our favourite witcher want to live in our world ?Sure, he'd have a few definite advantages, what with the lightning quick reflexes and signs ... and i don't think he'd really be lacking for work either, sadly, though likely our monsters are more of the human variety than the traditional kind, but what would he do, for example at airport security ? I doubt aarding his way onto a plane would be very productive (at least not more than once anyway).Would he be the toast of some communities ? I'm thinking there are certainly some so-called alternative lifestylers who would welcome him, but on average, would he more or less shunned than in his own world ?the more i think about it, the more insanely comical some scenarios become, but others start to provoke different questions. What do you think ? I'm curious :)

Oh ... i think the politicians are not alone in their little club :whistle: ... there are some pretty violent and unrepentant criminals of the more classic variety ...but for the lighter side, i think it would be pretty funny to watch the reaction of every day citizens to some (more than likely filthy) leather-clad guy with long white hair (if it was discernable!) and a coupla swords strapped to his back :)or given his famous "cool", how would he react to motorcycles ? the first time he saw one, i mean ... would he think to was some sort of monster ? maybe that's just me ;D

As you remeber witchers aren't assassins.And I don't think he would like to meddle in politics.Yes, he would if he lived in Medieval times.Nowadays?I don't think so.World changed too much for him to become a part of the new civilization.

I wasn't thinking of him as a hired assassin. i just think that if he could stroll the countryside (or these days, the urban and suburban landscapes), he'd still find plenty of "everyday" injustices and wrongs to right .. no need for any extra help with contracts.that part seems not to have changed so much since medieval times (closest analogy i can think of to Geralt's world in terms of our own) ... but honestly, this whole idea started with me laughing out loud at the thought of poor Geralt looking forlornly as his plane took off, surrounded by airport security -- maybe i am twisted :) ... and i loathe airports

That's just the problem .. were i that creative, i would ;D .. being less so, i started a thread to hear other people's ideas on the subject. anyone can play :peace:

I think that part of why The Witcher is fun for us is because the bad guys mostly are so easily identifiable and killing them is so easy and final. In real life, the problem is not that there are a dozen drowners to dispose of -- a dozen drowners seem so concrete and easy, compared to trying to forge a consensus among disparate elements of society. (Not that killing drowners would be easy for the likes of me, but we get to be Geralt when we kill them.)I think anyone who imported Geralt into our world would have to give the poor guy some sort of orientation. And regardless of how many people we might think the world would be better without, Geralt can't just go around killing anyone who tries to mug him or something. Not to mention that even lightning reflexes might have a lot of trouble dodging something as fast as a bullet, which means that his Witcher advantages would mostly be gone. Losing Geralt to some punk with a handgun would just be really, really WRONG, you know?When I think of what work he could get here, well, it seems like his best option would probably be stuntman, though with his charisma, perhaps he would work his way up to acting -- sort of like a white-haired Jackie Chan. :)I think Geralt's best kept in his own world. He doesn't need penicillin, and while central heating and refrigeration would be nice, they'd be more than offset by the disadvantages.

I agree. I think that the Geralt I know and admire would be very sad very soon in our world. If he was born into our world, his natural genetic advantages would be smothered. As a child, he likely would not fit in as a mutant and because of his raw instinct, parents would not let their kids play with him. As he grew, his tolerence of today's society would wear thin quickly. I cannot see him sitting in math class in high school or wearing a cap and gown at graduation. His main advantage would likely be in sports, if he could make it through school.If he was transported to our world as the Witcher we know him as, he would likely either kill 10 people the first day and end up either in prison or make millions on talk shows. He must be miserable either way and could not wait to get back to his world of simple medieval monsters, villians, whores, and magic. I realize this is a bleak perspective, but I try to see it through Geralt's eyes. I think he fits oh so nicely in his own world.Sometimes I think I'd rather go there myself.

Poor Geralt.... I can see him, walking down the street, it's night, so the town is empty. Suddenly, an unnatural scream from far behind him, but the medallion does nothing? ??? His sword comes out of its sheath, slowly, undecided, his movements are careful, his whole body on tense. And then he sees it: it's a monster with eyes like little suns, illuminating the night, make him blind, and it runs with an extremely great speed. His reflexes aren't good enough for it, he tries to jump on the right, but....dead. :dead:Next day the news say for a strange figure, carrying swords, the driver of the car: "I tell you, he really wanted to fight the car, just stood there and waited for me! :eek: "

I agree that Geralt would probably be quite lost in our world. He detests politics, and he would probably be quite sickened to see how things work here. Not to forget that probably every country's secret service would try to get their hands on him to find out how his metabolism works...

If Geralt did manage to adapt to our world he would not live near civilization thats for sure, a hermit in vast forest areas, living off the land, gradually going insane from solitude and sexual starvation, what would he become.....with nothing to kill, and no acceptances in social circles, lunacy and blood lust would consume him.Or he could get a job as a night club doorman. all the drink, violence and young hopeful females he could ever want........LOL

Wow ... you guys are totally bumming me out ! OK ... i'll survive ;Di started this thread shortly after picking myself off the floor from laughter at envisaging scenarios with Geralt in the modern world, but apparently only i have that sick sense of humour. Any take is an interesting take, so sadness it is i guess :(but taking on a car and nightclub doorman made me laugh :) ... i had envisioned him more as standing in line at some nightclub, being passed over again and again (at some of the posher, snooty clubs) ... or alternatively, getting moved directly to the head of the queue (probably at a leather bar!) :evil:

Well, being a witcher isn't exactly like Mary Poppins now, is it? I can't see Geralt singing "Supercali-narcolepsy-extra-halitosis".Hmm, maybe not singing it....
~ Roxy

I still think he could make it as an action-movie star. Of course, they'd have to remind him not to actually kill his co-stars during the swordfighting scenes. :)

Corylea said:
I still think he could make it as an action-movie star. Of course, they'd have to remind him not to actually kill his co-stars during the swordfighting scenes. :)
;D Oh, now we know who actually killed Brandon Lee during that film... (OK, that wasn't very kind of me)!

Top Bottom