Would Hjalmar attack Ciri?

+
Would Hjalmar attack Ciri?

If Hjalmar was made King would he attack Nilfgaard with the love of his life as empress? He vowed to marry her and was shattered when she was forced to leave. I think they should of changed the ending if this was the outcome. What you think?

She was a childhood crush, not the love of his life. I'm pretty sure raiding is expected of him so yeah, he'll be doing that.

As for changing the ending...that outcome as few enough realistic consequences as it is. Let's not remove even more.

She was a childhood crush, not the love of his life. I'm pretty sure raiding is expected of him so yeah, he'll be doing that.

As for changing the ending...that outcome as few enough realistic consequences as it is. Let's not remove even more.
He vowed to marry her. That's no small matter in Skellige. With both being heads of state I cannot fathom either being aggressive towards one another. Ciri would surely sue for peace with Skellige. Remember it's Emhyrs aggressive policies that has angered Skellige. With him removed and Ciri in charge it doesn't make much sense.

If Hjalmar attacks. Maybe he's trying to tell that you chose wrong ending.
I'm kidding. There is no right or wrong ending/choice in The Witcher universe

Last edited:
Ciri was 12. And I'm pretty sure clans handle marriage pacts, not children.

Raiding is a way of life for Skellige, one that Hjalmar is elected on the basis of preserving. It precedes the Northern Wars by centuries. He can't just call it off when almost all the coast falls under Nilfgaard's Suzerainty because Ciri will one day be Empress. Besides, raiding and open warfare are two different things. Whether it's a big enough deal that Ciri will be pressured to do something about it, and what will happen if she doesn't...who knows. Nations have no friends. Only interests.

Maybe he's trying to tell that you chose wrong ending.
I'm kidding. There is no right or wrong ending/choice in The Witcher universe
It's the wrong ending if he didn't want Ciri to have to make some really tough choices.

I doubt he could prevent all the other Jarls from raiding Nilfgaardian ships, the king of Skellige is more first among equals rather than an absolute monarch.

The witcher's path can be challenging too. Seems like her disappearance is the only way to avoid tough choices.

Oh, true. I agree But I'd argue that a monarch has to be far colder than a witcher. She can really consider her own moral compass alone when making decisions as a witcher. Things get muddier as an Empress with the fate of millions in her hands and a massive established bureaucracy to fight/command. Most successful world leaders were rather terrible people from a moral standpoint, I think.

Well we know if Cerys becomes queen then Skellige does stopping their raiding/pirating ways largely. So we know a leader can change Skellige. If Cerys could do it then why not Hjalmar

Hjalmar isn't Cerys. He has a different personality, desires, and skillset. Cerys is a diplomat. Hjalmar is a warrior. Cerys wanted to wean Skellige off raiding from the start. Hjalmar didn't. He's basically defying a campaign promise. It'd be a hard sell, if he even chose to try.

I got the impression that Emhyr was going to be emperor for many more years, until Ciri learns enough to become ruler herself. So a Hjalmar-led Skellige would be fighting against Emhyr's forces, not Ciri's, for the near future.

Weird thing about that is that the only reason Emhyr is seeking out Ciri in the first place is that him abdicating and giving the throne to her is a political concession to his opponents (probably involving the Voorhis family, since Morvran is apparently supposed to marry her.)...but Ciri can only actually become Empress if he wins the war.... in which case he goes home and murders all his opponents.

So I really don't know what the rulership situation is there and for how long.

I suppose it would depend on factors such as the scale and harshness of the raid and the location.

Maybe if it were a more autonomous province such as the Temeria in this ending they would have to deal with it on their own I would think.

But I would also think after a time the Empress would have but no choice to put him down.

I suppose it would depend on factors such as the scale and harshness of the raid and the location.

Maybe if it were a more autonomous province such as the Temeria in this ending they would have to deal with it on their own I would think.

But I would also think after a time the Empress would have but no choice to put him down.

Yeah. At the very least, I think if they go full Svanrigge with uniting the Isles into a total war footing and depopulating whole towns in raids, that would demand a response. Something more low key though? Might not even register for an empire the size of Nilfgaard.

That's interesting though now that I think about. We're talking as though we're ok with Skelligers raping, pillaging, murdering, and taking thralls from the continent, as long as it doesn't inconvenience a main character and make them feel bad. :wat:

That's interesting though now that I think about. We're talking as though we're ok with Skelligers raping, pillaging, murdering, and taking thralls from the continent, as long as it doesn't inconvenience a main character and make them feel bad.

When I realized the dancing girls in Kaer Trolde were captives I was thoroughly crept out. Funny Geralt doesn't get to bring that up with Crach :D

EDIT: Not saying we should have been able to do anything about it; that's silly. I just genuinely find it funny that overly moralizing and judgmental Geralt has nothing to say about his friends having slaves.

Well a lot of the Northern monarchs treat their subjects just as badly. I think Geralt is just used to everyone with political power being bad at least part of the time.

Ciri becomes Empress even if Nilfgaard wins if I'm not mistaken. Her father abdicates in favour of her. If Nilfgaard lose then she still becomes Empress as rightful heir but her father is killed instead of abdicating. Have I gotten it wrong??? Also Hjalmar promised to wage war against Emhyrs Nilfgaard. Remember the nobility are only going along with Emhyr because he promised them he was going to win the war and bring them wealth. Nilfgaard is essentially an empire of commerce, guilds and trade. Their nobility are merchants who only care about their wealth. Emhyrs aggressive policies have cause the nobility and the empire a lot of grief on the sea and on land. Their ships are being targeted by Skellige and their trade is suffering as a result. With Ciri leading them they have a monarch on good relations with Skellige who can bring peace and establish freedom of navigation on the seas. The nobility would surely support her in her peace efforts towards Skellige because it would bring them great wealth. Skellige don't like continentals in general and are just as likely to raid northerners as Nilfgaardians. Establishing a peace treaty with Nilfgaard does not mean an end to raiding.

Last edited:
Ciri becomes Empress even if Nilfgaard wins if I'm not mistaken. Her father abdicates in favour of her. If Nilfgaard lose then she still becomes Empress as rightful heir but her father is killed instead of abdicating. Have I gotten it wrong

You got it wrong. She only becomes Empress when Nilfgaard wins.Even if you take her before to Emhyr but Nilfgaard loses war she did not become an empress. In the books it was Morvran Voorhis who take the throne so I guess if not Ciri it's him.

I think he would not attack knowing that, in fact probably Ciri go herself to Skellige to make some sort of alliance or truce.

Top Bottom