Would you guys want factions of some kind in CP 2077?

+

• Total voters

It would be interesting if executed correctly like for example Fallout: New Vegas. What do you guys think about factions in CP 2077? Good idea or not at all?

Last edited:
I think its a cool idea for sure. But this would make the game non-linear, resulting in different endings perhaps? Like in New Vegas, how the main quest/story has multiple endings depending on what faction the player sided with. In my opinion, CDPR did a great job with the Witcher series' story telling. I'd expect the same linear style story for Cyberpunk.

To me it would feel strange to not have factions in a game like this.

And I also feel that the ending of the game does not necessarily have to be effected with your standings of the factions either. Maybe it could just be your road towards the ending that would be effected by the factions. All the standings with various factions could maybe just effect things like which areas of the city you can move around in without problems, and which ones where you would be shot on sight or something... and/or things like the cost of buying things... or what kind of things is actually available to you... which stores you can buy in or not... etc.

My dream RPG, is one with a lot of multiple endings and not just one ending, or multiple endings with just minor changes. People like to argue that this would screw up a sequels, but they seem to forget how games used to be made. You create multiple endings, and then you create a sequel and simply have one ending be the official true ending and the rest by alternative endings. Take deus ex original and deus ex 2 original for example, multiple endings, but only one the sequel recognized.

I do think we should have factions, the more the marrier, major factions, minor factions..etc.I said this before, but I want to have some real world affecting actions. Like screwing a major faction and wiping it off the map, or taking a minor faction and turning them into a major faction.

I voted other...
This mean yes if faction are small things like Street Gangs....

But if you expect to wipe out corporation that is most likely and sure not going to happen...

There is nothing saying though that a faction has to be something that you should be able to wipe out. Maybe the small ones... like a streetgang, or the local smaller corporation or something. But the big ones? Naaa...

Factions ... definitely ... every street gang and Corp is a faction. And your status (or lack thereof) with one should have some effect on others.

Factions as per Fallout NV ... no.

The world is big, these are multinational corporations, you may manage to embarrass, annoy, maybe even hurt one. But change to overall power structure in any significant way ... no.

Suhiira;n7204100 said:
The world is big, these are multinational corporations, you may manage to embarrass, annoy, maybe even hurt one. But change to overall power structure in any significant way ... no.
What about cunny diplomacy leading into a conflict of a two corporations working in similar business or corp vs mediacorp?

Pros and cons.

I'm generally for a faction system where you can join or closely work with different groups or factions.

Ideally, this does, however, not sacrifice too much of a larger main plot. Customization is always good but this usually means more developer work.

metalmaniac21;n7205540 said:
What about cunny diplomacy leading into a conflict of a two corporations working in similar business or corp vs mediacorp?
While anything is possible in a PnP game in a PC/console one everything has to be pre designed into the games systems or it's impossible. So yes, what you suggest could be done but it would have to be an almost totally linear progression, probably even more so then a typical main story line. That rather flies directly into the face of the open world concept.

Mebrilia;n7203650 said:
I voted other...
This mean yes if faction are small things like Street Gangs....

But if you expect to wipe out corporation that is most likely and sure not going to happen...

Small factions sound great. Like a rise to power kind of quest line (if executed correctly of course)

Last edited:
yes, i like the idea, some hostile, but yu ca become frindly if you do side quests fo them other friendly, that can turn hostle, some neutral, that can be turned frindly or hostle towards the character,
a faction syste offers more side quests, but but this must not be too cmplicated, yet th characters and outcomesmust be well developed and interesting/fun
and the posibility to get different weapons or armor from each faction

Factions always make me think of The Elder Scrolls games and how every faction story line is usually completely isolated from other story lines. For me, It's always been kind of an immersion breaker that you can rise to the top of every faction there is (although, not possible in Morrowind) and how easily it generally happens. It's like "Hey. Here's this new guy with some random skills that might not have anything to do with the faction and in couple days, he's the leader of the group." I always start to wonder why is the PC so special that things go easily...

I don't have anything against factions, per se, but I just feel like they're often used as a cheap way to implement multiple "main" quest lines within one game.

I don't particularly mind them as an idea, but I'm curious what sort of factions you would expect to find? I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the PnP so it's tough for me to come up with anything other than some megacorps.

Kutaka;n7253280 said:
I don't particularly mind them as an idea, but I'm curious what sort of factions you would expect to find? I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the PnP so it's tough for me to come up with anything other than some megacorps.
Street/Poser Gangs
Groups with a political/social agenda

I.E. all the same stuff we all see in everyday life now every time we watch the news.

I mean sure, but I suppose I meant to ask more of a how should we be able to interact with them. Would gangs just be an antagonist faction that you can't really join, or do you want to see it go as far as a full on gang victory ending with the city in chaos? What would make these things interesting to you is what I wanna know.

Lots of factions would be nice, but it shouldn't be mandatory to join one. And if you ride solo all the way there should be some consequences for doing things alone.

This reminds of something Mike said in an interview years back, how Arasaka fractured into multiple groups somewhere between 2020 and 2077.

reidyboy102998;n7202690 said:
It would be interesting if executed correctly like for example Fallout: New Vegas. What do you guys think about factions in CP 2077?

The faction system in New Vegas was fairly well done (more so considering how much time there was to implement it all), but it was a tad binary in its execution. I'd expect a more complex and nuanced interactions and politics between different groups and how the player agency between them and the opportunities they offer work in CP2077.

A faction does not necessarily have to be something that you can join and climb in rank with. And the Elder Scrolls example that someone brought up is maybe not the best example of a faction system in my mind. I mean it's ok and all... but it lacks a huge level of depth, and what not, for me to think it is a proper faction system.

No... when I think about factions, and their effect on the player, I think about games like Freelancer (probably my alltime favorit space flight combat game to this date, my nr 2 is Tie Fighter).

Freelancer has almost 50 different factions, and every single ship and person you meet in the game is connected to one of these factions. Most of these factions are devided amongst 4 different nations (Liberty, Bretonia, Rheinland, Kusari), and the "Independents" (so not connected to a nation, like the "Bounty Hunters" for example)... there is also a a few factions which are listed as "Others" (which might, and might not, have some connection to other factions in the game).

Each nation consists of a few Government types of factions (things like Military and Police, etc), Corperations (manufacturing types, traders, etc), and Criminal/Pirate factions. The Independent consists of some seveal lawful factions (like the mentioned "Bounty Hunters"), a single neutral faction, and a few criminal factions. And the "Others" are... well... the others... XD

Your Reputation with these factions will determin how they react to you if they happend to come across you. Here is a fairly short description on how your reputation level with a faction will work in Freelancer, especially the part under "Effects of Reputation" is worth reading since that tells you the effect of being "Friendly", "Neutral" or "Hostile" to a faction.

What you do in the game, and with/against who you do these things, will increase or lower your reputation with a faction (or might keep it the same, it depends). Not only that... what you do can effect your reputation with multiple factions at the same time. This specificly is the case when you have interactions with factions which are part of a nation. So if you for example do a mission for the Bretonian military faction, to maybe kill a certain pirate, then your repitation with the Bretonian military faction will increase a fair amount, and your reputation with all other Bretonian Government and Corporations will increase a bit to... but, your reputation with the targeted pirate faction will decrease a fair amount, and your reputation with the other Bretonian criminal/pirate factions will also decrease a little bit.

The same would happen if you decided to turn pirate and start robbing people, or doing missions for them once they are available to you... except reversed of course... where the government and corporations would think less and less of you, where as the criminals would think more and more of you. These things usually do not cross the boarders though... so the Rheinland's will not really care about what you do in other nations, unless if it where to directly effect them (not sure if there are side missions which would target another nations factions... I do know though that your reputation with some factions will be effected by doing the main storyline).

You can not actually join a faction in Freelancer, like how you can in the Elder Scrolls games... but that is ok... you are after all supposed to be a "Freelancer" in the game. XD

There are also a few other things I think is missing from Freelancers faction system... but all in all it is a pretty good one still.

Top Bottom