Would you like a reshuffle of the casters in next Gwent Tournament?

+

rrc

Forum veteran
First of all, I want to say that I absolutely love the current casters for their talent and skill they have in their job of casting. They are lovely, entertaining and knows how to keep the unexpected situations under control and keep it cool. But I want to have a completely new set of talent in the next Season of tournaments. There are a couple of reasons behind it.

First and foremost reason is, the casters seem to not be actually in touch with the game or their skill level in Gwent is low (except for Shinmiri). Shinmiri has to correct McBeard every now and then and on day one Jaggerous was so excited and was giving a high tempo commentary about whether Circle Of Life's boost will either go for Schirru or Geralt Professional (with them being the only two cards in hand) and was so excited that it hit Schirru. I was cringing during that entire commentary (and Panda didn't correct her, may be he also don't know how the card works?). So, this raises a question to me. Should the casters be skilled in casting only? Or should they also be skilled in the game too? Again, I don't want to base my entire reasoning on this one incident and anyone can make such honest mistake. Jaggerous was a great player (heck, she is NG ambassador) a long time back and may be she hasn't played in a long time and probably lost in touch with the game.

Even yesterday, McBeard looked like he didn't want to be there. Somehow his usual enthusiasm and energy was not there and he was making a lot of mistakes (not knowing/remember who Paja faced in QF, saying that if Magpie won, he will get qualified for Open which Shinmiri corrected, etc.) May be he had an off day. May be he was not feeling well. May be he was missing Flake. Something, but it was kind of odd. These first complaints can be avoided if the casters play the game regularly and keep in touch with the game and it shouldn't be a big deal as they were in fact great players.

Secondly, at least just to keep things fresh at least, I wish CDPR gives opportunity to other regular players who are in constant touch with the game and knows the game in and out. I am thinking about TryNet, Spyro, and even Bushy (but I doubt Bushy will get a chance as he is usually very critical of CDPR and his language and attitude will need to be changed if he has to cast, which I think he can do it) who has a big fan following and who are in touch with the game. TryNet is doing so much for the community and even ThorSerpent recognized him and thanked him for this contribution.

What do you guys think? Would you like to see a shuffle/change in the casters (even if not for Masters which is happening in December, for which casters may have already been booked) in Season 3 Opens and Masters? In my wish to shuffle the casters, I don't mean Shinmiri. Shinmiri has so much knowledge about the game and is doing a fantastic job at casting and really wish he stays in the casting team.

I would love to see more Gwent content creators as casters. I think enthusiasts such as Trynet, Spyro and Misterhabbla would do a great job casting some of the events.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

DRK3

Forum veteran
I agree, i love all these 4 regular casters, but even if they were doing their job perfectly, it would still be good to have fresh faces (or fresh voices i guess) every once in a while to give other creators a chance as casters.

And yeah specially in this last open i noticed a lot of flaws with casters (except Shinmiri), and saw a lot of others criticizing it. I dont think its fair for the current casters to lose their role permanently just because of one bad performance, but maybe its time to try something new, maybe rotate the casters.

Regarding McBeard, i saw some posts mocking that he looked sleepy, and i thought about timezones and considered that a possibility - for us in Europe, the Opens are in the afternoon, but for those in Americas, they start super early, and for those in Asia, they end super late. They wouldnt be a problem if each day was 2-3 hours, but they're 6-8 hours!
Anyway, i cant blame McBeard, im not a morning person and i would be way worse if i had to do anything at those hours. Also, there's a chance he could be ill or have some other problems affecting his casting ability.

And props to Shinmiri, he really impressed me in this Open - im usually a hyper alert player, no detail or possibility is not considered, but there were even a couple of situations where he pointed out something little but important that i hadnt noticed.

• RED Point
Can you really blame the casters for falling out of touch with the game? Gwent e-sports essentially took a 2 year break. It's kind of crazy of CDPR to expect them to still have the same level of interest after such a long time.

Like Panda's main game is Legends of Runeterra now. He's got a great podcast called Progress Day. He does these really in depth surveys on the LoR subreddit.

I know Jaggerous was super disappointed about Homecoming Gwent and there being no esports for such a long time.

You should give the casters more of a chance. They waited for so long for CDPR to start things up again afterall.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Can you really blame the casters for falling out of touch with the game? Gwent e-sports essentially took a 2 year break. It's kind of crazy of CDPR to expect them to still have the same level of interest after such a long time.

Like Panda's main game is Legends of Runeterra now. He's got a great podcast called Progress Day. He does these really in depth surveys on the LoR subreddit.

I know Jaggerous was super disappointed about Homecoming Gwent and there being no esports for such a long time.

You should give the casters more of a chance. They waited for so long for CDPR to start things up again afterall.

If these casters have moved to other games, that's another reason to rotate or even replace them, if both parties agree to that. Im sure there's no shortage of casters and streamers in touch with the game and that already have experience and success casting in non-officlal tournaments (Spyro, Trynet and Watchflake are 3 great picks to start off)

Also, what happened to Masters #1? I dont even remember who were the participants, but there was a lot of money on the line, and i think yesterday on the stream there was no mention of a new date. Are we just gonna pretend it already happened? Its ridiculous, its been so long the meta the participants were able to qualify in as nothing to do with current meta, and maybe even those players no longer care about Gwent.

that's another reason to rotate or even replace them, if both parties agree to that.

My point was, Imagine if you were a Gwent caster that was put on standby for 2 whole years. Then you get kicked to the curb when things finally start again for someone newer and more popular right now. That would be such a dick move.

Besides, didnt you make a huge thread recently saying how you just started watching creators? You weren't here back when McBeard, Jaggerous, and Panda were giving their all to Gwent. I would feel so bad for them if they got replaced just because people who just started watching streamers want them gone. Try to put yourself in their shoes.

rrc

Forum veteran
My point was, Imagine if you were a Gwent caster that was put on standby for 2 whole years. Then you get kicked to the curb when things finally start again for someone newer and more popular right now. That would be such a dick move.

Besides, didnt you make a huge thread recently saying how you just started watching creators? You weren't here back when McBeard, Jaggerous, and Panda were giving their all to Gwent. I would feel so bad for them if they got replaced just because people who just started watching streamers want them gone. Try to put yourself in their shoes.
OK, first of all, no one is saying they should be fired. I was saying that others should also be given an opportunity. Of 4 games, let 4 teams of casters do the casting. Also, it was not like as soon as the eSports scene was fixed, they were removed without giving any opportunities. They were given one full year of opportunities, casting all 4 Opens. For all the good things they did for the game, I would consider that they are paid in full since one full year of competitive scene was given to them.

I didn't know Panda had moved on to LoR (I don't follow LoR) and apparently as you said he even fully dedicated to create content there. Then he should logically find opportunities in that game. This actually happened on Day 2. When Shinmiri had called out to Panda to fill in a small section after game 1, Panda said "Yes, I was watching these game because I had to" and then immediately changed it to "Because I wanted to". I didn't want to mention this in my first post since I thought it could be a honest tongue slip, but now I am doubting that he actually doesn't care about the games itself, but only the casting.

If Jaggerous was so disappointed by HC and hate the game, why to even cast Gwent? Seriously? If you hate the game you can never do the justice to the eSports events held at the highest possible levels. If she really hates Gwent HC and current Gwent (which I don't believe it to be true), morally she should move on. But I don't think she hates the game. She used to create some content some 5-6 months back (very very rarely though) and probably she had just moved on due to personal things, which I respect.

For all their contribution, Gwent had already recognized them by making them Brand Ambassadors and giving them casting opportunities for one whole year and IMHO, that is more than enough. Making them Brand Ambassadors would have given them more opportunities in their streaming and Youtube. But however, everything would change, if these casters love the game and play the game and be in touch with the game and the cards and the mechanics. How does it justify for casters to not know the game or not love the game they are casting? Isn't that injustice to Gwent and all the people who watch it?

So, by your logic, they should always remain as the casters even if they don't give a crap about Gwent? Coming and making all wrong statements and obviously not excited about the games - and you still want them to remain as the casters? What about people who are dedicated to the game (not just very recently, but have been for quite a lot of time), interested in casting and keeping the community going now? What is the justice to them?

[If I were in their shoes, I would respect the job opportunity I was given and the spotlight it gives me and I will be grateful for that opportunity and will play the game and get in touch with the game and mechanics to do justice to my job. If however I have moved on to some other game and not love Gwent, I will politely decline the job offer saying that I no longer want to cast the game since I don't love it. At least that is what I can think of what I will do if I were in their shoes.

Did you know what LifeCoach did about Gwent Masters 1? He was qualified for the game and CDPR can't say 'you can't come to the tournament since you don't play the game' since he was officially qualified for the masters. What he did? He said he will not participate and wanted to give the opportunity for others. If he simply attended the tournament and lost all the games, he would still make a hell lot of money as the stake is HUGE for Gwent Masters 1. He didn't do that. And I think people blamed him for being so cocky and saying no to money for that he replied something like "I want to give the opporutnity for current players who play the game now and deserve it. I know I will get a lot of money by just participating, but it is not the right thing to do as I had moved on". Can you see where am I going with this?]

Last edited:

ya1

Forum regular
I think you need to cut them some slack. It's not soccer World Cup with 3 billion viewers.

Panda is very talented as a presenter. Kinda pro level imo, he could work for a local tv or something. It makes up for occasional slips when it comes to Gwent know-how or info handling. It's a lot of work, and I don't think this is their main jobs, is it?

Shinmiri is also sharp in front of a camera plus he is a top shelf player (I mean he still plays NG on the ladder successfully... and that speaks for itself ;)).

McBeard could indeed kinda up his game. I don't think his knowledge of the game, meta and general ability as a player is proportional to his influence and viewability. He has like 5-10 times more views on his YT channel then other streamers. And he occasionally does things like going on about how great the scenario change was, and how op double scenarios were up to that point, and then he admits he never actually played double scenarios himself. This kinda subjectivity is not ok when you're one of the most viewed Gwent content creators.

rrc

Forum veteran
I think you need to cut them some slack. It's not soccer World Cup with 3 billion viewers.

Panda is very talented as a presenter. Kinda pro level imo, he could work for a local tv or something. It makes up for occasional slips when it comes to Gwent know-how or info handling. It's a lot of work, and I don't think this is their main jobs, is it?

Shinmiri is also sharp in front of a camera plus he is a top shelf player (I mean he still plays NG on the ladder successfully... and that speaks for itself ;)).

McBeard could indeed kinda up his game. I don't think his knowledge of the game, meta and general ability as a player is proportional to his influence and viewability. He has like 5-10 times more views on his YT channel then other streamers. And he occasionally does things like going on about how great the scenario change was, and how op double scenarios were up to that point, and then he admits he never actually played double scenarios himself. This kinda subjectivity is not ok when you're one of the most viewed Gwent content creators.
The size of the viewership doesn't matter ya1. For Gwent, it is one of the highest events and that is the only thing that matters.

I completely agree about Panda being an excellent presenter. He is handsome and the way he speaks is actually pleasant. Yes, he can even be on TV. But those things just need the communication skills. Reading a script or doing an interview with prepared set of questions etc. But to cast and when there are so many dynamics involved, if you don't know the full game and the cards (there are only handful of cards brought, say < 5% of the total number of cards), you are going to confuse the new players and leave a bad taste for veteran players.

I agree about McB. You know what Flake does? Flake also doesn't play Gwent recently (in the sense for a long time before he casted Opens) and moved on to other games (he even had an official podcast with Mythgard called BoneYard or something). But before the tournaments start, he will play Gwent regularly and reach pro rank so that he knows the meta and understands the meta cards. That is dedication and respecting the job. If the casters can't even do that or don't care to learn the meta, how can they cast the game for the new viewers who are going to be confused or misled how the game plays?

ya1

Forum regular
Well, I guess some people - both devs and and casters - should indeed put it a little more work into it. Gwent deserves more.

• RED Point
Also, what happened to Masters #1? I dont even remember who were the participants, but there was a lot of money on the line, and i think yesterday on the stream there was no mention of a new date. Are we just gonna pretend it already happened? Its ridiculous, its been so long the meta the participants were able to qualify in as nothing to do with current meta, and maybe even those players no longer care about Gwent.
If I remember correctly Burza and Vlad said that it will happen in the beginning of next year sometime around February or March. They didn't give a exact date because they kind of want to wait if the Covid 19 situation will change around that time (I highly doubt it) because they would prefer doing it in a studio like before Corona times, if it doesn't change they will do a online event around that time and announce the date in the beginning of the next year.

• RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran
I believe ThorSerpent is an exceptional person. His handling of esports is really good. He is passionate, he listens to community, responds to community feedback. On the arrangements side of esports I believe Gwent is in a very good hand. My cringe is about casters who don't do their homework or do justice to the job and my wish is, even otherwise, other casters should be given some small opportunities at least in big events like Open or Masters.

DRK3

Forum veteran
If I remember correctly Burza and Vlad said that it will happen in the beginning of next year sometime around February or March. They didn't give a exact date because they kind of want to wait if the Covid 19 situation will change around that time (I highly doubt it) because they would prefer doing it in a studio like before Corona times, if it doesn't change they will do a online event around that time and announce the date in the beginning of the next year.

Thank you. I actually missed like 30min of the event, when i had to go dinner, and it was precisely when Vlad was speaking about esports, and since later i searched a lot and saw no mention about Masters #1 i assumed they didnt say anything about it, but im glad they actually adressed it.
Post automatically merged:

Somehow you completely misread my posts. I didnt even criticize Panda and Jaggerous at all, applauded their professionalism, specially now knowing they dont have as much interest in Gwent as in the past. And about McBeard, i did make some negative remarks, but without knowing for sure what his situation is, i wont pass hard judgements.

My main point was actually to criticize the devs (what a surprise, coming from me uh?).
They need to be more dynamic in this subject, as in most other Gwent subjects, and not just assign a role to a person and expect it to execute it forever. Im talking about casters, but also faction ambassadors.

If they allow Gwent to become stale, with lack of new content for long periods of time, of course a lot of players including these casters and ambassadors will get tired of the game and want to move on. Its the dev team's job to replace them when they quit permanently, but they should also communicate better with these players, making sure they are still engaged with Gwent because they want to and not because they feel forced to.

I dont want anyone to lose their job, trying new casters doesnt necessarily mean replacing them, they can alternate, rotate, do different team-ups and this will bring a new experience to the viewers, if some caster combo doesnt work, try something new, if it does, you are going the right way.

Last edited:
  • RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran
Well, my worst fear has come true. Shinmiri has been put on the back bench to be an Analyst and not a caster for the Masters. While I absolutely love and respect Flake (he even did 10k MMR thingy to prove his competence and dedication for his job) and I am extremely happy that he is going to be a caster. After what he went through this year, this is the least Gwent community can do to him. But Shinmiri on the other hand was also brilliant.

I don't know who they could have replaced with Flake. I wish Shinmiri and Flake could cast the games. Or he should have been given the slot from the other pair.

you know what Flake does? Flake also doesn't play Gwent recently (in the sense for a long time before he casted Opens) and moved on to other games (he even had an official podcast with Mythgard called BoneYard or something). But before the tournaments start, he will play Gwent regularly and reach pro rank so that he knows the meta and understands the meta cards. That is dedication and respecting the job.

I thought the guy with McBeard was excellent, as was Shinmiri with his analysis.

The rest definitely looked and spoke like they'd had better Gwent days. :)

I saw ImpetuosPanda make a large post on this subject over on reddit yesterday, then i saw this thread and thought you all may want to hear his thoughts.

"Do I consider myself to have an appropriate understanding of the game to be considered at a Pro Rank Level and fulfill my duties as a professional caster? Yes, otherwise I would have stepped down as a caster long ago. My attention was also split between Gwent and Legends of Runeterra during the month of November, as I had the opportunity to work alongside Riot Games for their first major esports tournament."

"If you take into account the regularity of GWENTMasters events(5 weekends per year), and my wish to work full-time as a professional caster, you would understand why working working exclusively with GWENT esports isn't exactly a wholely fulfilling plan from a professional standpoint, and why I'm constantly looking for new opportunities to evolve and improve in my chosen career path."

"Those that are familiar with GWENT's background, players or community members alike, know my history as a competitor before being a caster, and understand that regardless of the amount of hours I put into grinding on the ladder every month, I used to play at what could be considered a pro player level in the earliest days of GWENT, claiming #1 spots on ladder many many times as well as having qualified to official events such as GwentSlam #1 alongside pro players of the caliber of Freddy/Gameking/Adzikov/Shaggy etc. I'm in no way claiming I'm at that pro level now, far from it, but once you have that initial level of understanding when it comes to CCGs it's not exactly something you lose over time."

I don't have any strong opinions on who is casting Gwent nowadays, but Panda makes a very good point on there only being 5 tournaments per year. People in this thread are saying CPDR should add more casters and create a rotation, but how can you do that with only 5 tournaments per year? Maybe a rotation would be possible if this was back in Beta Gwent when the e-sports was more active, and we had all the community tournaments like the GwentSlams and GwentTogether. I believe Panda even casted some of those back in the day, but it's been like 3 years so i'm not 100% sure.

Really appreciate the work of all casters, but some of the casters definitely seem more professional than the others. Flake is really good and Shinmiri performs great on the analyst table, but would like to see some new faces joining the caster team

Top Bottom