Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Yes or no to mod-support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would think a great core game at release and having mod support are mutually exclusive. CDPR don't strike me as the sort to publish an unpolished game, hoping that modders come to the rescue. Not even close. Besides, W3 had mod support and I didn't see any issues there.

Mods are usually tweaks, enhancements and additions rather than fixes.

This is the overall approach. Right now, rather than worrying about, "But, if we decide to build this section of the game this way...how will that affect modding?" they're focused on, "We need to make the single-player game as solid as we possibly can."

If modding can be added in later, I would guess it probably will be. If not, well, that's the way the cookie crumbled. Time will tell!

Guest 2364765

:shrug:

Yep, cause I'm sure that there's someone out there that would make a somewhat decent TPP mod for it, even if it took five years to do it it would have been worth it.

:oops:

With the big sales you could surely (hopefully) find the personnel / resources / time to consider decent or solid modding support measures :p

That is just not true.
Check out the 2 minutes after 6:20 from Jim.
It's basically the same with Skyrim too, not explicitly to all the aspects he was mentioning for Fallout, but several other aspects that mods did a lot better in Skyrim, than the Devs who got paid for creating the initial game.
They pretty much realized the gain of this concept after Fallout 3 and TES4 Oblivion, and with the sequels from that onward, they started to exploit it.

On release? No. But maybe after a year or so, more more. Re-release with a special edition that has all DLC (if any) then release it with the Dev Kit, unless you have already pre-ordered the game?

I definitely want to see mods and some point, but I want to beat the game before I mod.

I also agree with above ^^^^^ I want an official mod release stream and a 3rd party stream. Or 3rd party site, Like Nexus but something similar to GTAforums for Cyberpunk, So a one stop spot for mods for any Project Red games (It probably already exists)

On the Client/Manager/DevKIT etc I hope I see more Official mods, I do NOT want to download a 3rd party Script Extender if that would be the case at all? Anyways the mods I would use would be lore only, Like how Skyrim had Extended lore mods like Race Armors extended, Weapons and Cut content.

Guest 2364765

On release? No. But maybe after a year or so, more more. Re-release with a special edition that has all DLC (if any) then release it with the Dev Kit, unless you have already pre-ordered the game?

I definitely want to see mods and some point, but I want to beat the game before I mod.
Witcher 2 has already proven that providing mod support after a year is insignificant.

If mod support doesn't happen within first 3-4 months post release, majority of the community will move on to the next game.

If mod support doesn't happen within first 3-4 months post release, majority of the community will move on to the next game.

I beg to differ, or add: "It depends".

If I recall correctly, mod support for Fallout 3, NV and / or Fallout 4 or also Oblivion or Skyrim came, on average, an big chunk of time later. It was no issue, especially since DLCs kept coming out for the game after a longer while, keeping interest high.

But many factors come into play there, including how the game or world is set up. Will it have sufficient "open world elements" or focus (too) heavily on the story over certain player freedoms we might get to expect or know from the aforementioned games, for example?

Hard for me to compare to Witcher games since I did not play them. But with the games I mentioned above (and also the community roughly knowing what they could expect from modding) it was no issue to even have good modding support after, I dunno three quarters of a year or one and a half or so.

Besides, why would the community move on to the next game within such a short amount of time (3-4 months)? What stops anyone from returning once (if) good modding support is added, even if that is a year later?

Witcher 2 has already proven that providing mod support after a year is insignificant.

I've seen this argument before, and I don't think it applies here.

The scope of the game, its level of exploration, and level of replayability determine how willing a community will be to wait for mod tools. Witcher 2 was a very linear game. Replayable? Sure. But far shorter than The Witcher 3, and only replayable a couple of times for the biggest changes in the story.

The Witcher 3 is far, far more replayable. More freedom of gameplay due to the perk system (but not much -- 2077 will improve on that), way, WAY more quests and outcomes to toy with, a massive world to explore and many side activities to due (bandit camps, racing, etc.).

So... My guess? With 2077, late modding support that is GOOD and robust is far preferable to no modding tools at all.

But given CDPR's track record, I'm betting we either get nothing, or we get very limited tools that can't actually be used to create "new" content (new homes for the player, for example).

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

I beg to differ, or add: "It depends".
[...]
I've seen this argument before, and I don't think it applies here.
[...]

If that was truly the case CDPR could've done it for Witcher 3 in time between 2015 and 2017 when CP we currently know was still not even in full pre-production and resources could've been spared (and even to their benefit, rebuilding the reputation after having promised the mod tools and not having them delivered).

Mod support is a good thing to have while the game is still hot to have high player retention. Longer you wait, less creators and players you will get. As time goes on, even best mod tools become less viable both to create and release and to use by the community simply because it becomes smaller.

Of course that is just my opinion, i'm not omniscient but given the precedence i'm willing to commit to what i just said.
Still - this discussion is way lower than academic theory at this point as no mod support on launch has been confirmed and i highly doubt it means it'll arrive a week later.

If that was truly the case CDPR could've done it for Witcher 3 in time between 2015 and 2017 when CP we currently know was still not even in full pre-production and resources could've been spared (and even to their benefit, rebuilding the reputation after having promised the mod tools and not having them delivered).

Mod support is a good thing to have while the game is still hot to have high player retention. Longer you wait, less creators and players you will get. As time goes on, even best mod tools become less viable both to create and release and to use by the community simply because it becomes smaller.

Of course that is just my opinion, i'm not omniscient but given the precedence i'm willing to commit to what i just said.
Still - this discussion is way lower than academic theory at this point as no mod support on launch has been confirmed and i highly doubt it means it'll arrive a week later.
There will likely be no mod support at all.

Guest 2364765

There will likely be no mod support at all.
I imagine there are internally plans to deliver "proper" mod support but since it's not announced it can be cut without any remorse and also since it's confirmed to be not coming on launch i'd be willing to believe it's already close to being cut.

If i wasn't currently unemployed i'd be willing to put my money on TW3_or_less state of affairs with mod support.

I'll be praying on my Xbox one when the game come out but as for mods for PC I'm all for it like the previous comments it makes the games interesting and also it shows the developers the passionate fans are there For their game who take the time to make the mods also I can't wait to see what types of Mods they come up hen the game come out but as for mods for PC I'm all for it like the previous comments it makes the games interesting and also it shows the developers the passionate fans are there Forest game we'll take the time to make the mods also I can't wait to see what types of Mods they come up with.

I mean, sure, why would someone say no to that?

I would much rather that resources are first and foremost spend on making the game itself great though

I would much rather that resources are first and foremost spend on making the game itself great though

You could technically or subjectively say that (solid or exceptional) modding support helps making the game itself great by allowing the community to expand.

I get what you mean, the core thing and framework and whatever other buzzword you can throw in, the game itself, has to be complete. But I hope the devs don't just see implementing effective modding support (That costs time and resources, surely, where time itself is already a resource) as some kind of chore. While that might be the case from their end to view it as potentially "money or time sink", from the consumer perspective - and being spoiled due to games like Skyrim, Fallout, etc - I can say that it's really a potential unlocker. There's enough talented modders from certain games or game series who will know what they do once they get to work.

Long story short, the customer will benefit heavily from good modding support. And with good modding support I don't just mean the ability to replace a few textures through tricks, but to get a modding kit that allows you a wide range of freedom, including being able to theoretically craft new interior or exterior spaces (with game assets or new ones), make new quests, add and edit world spaces or NPCs and so much more.

Given how even multiple apartments were ruled out for either narrative or resource or other reasons, and since modding as a topic for confirmation or denial was "moved back" to after release, I doubt a bit we get to see an extensive modding kit, but time will tell.

If we don't get one for this game, it should be really considered for the next Cyberpunk game.

In short, if we get modding the game lives longer as proven with Witcher 3 which came out in 2015 and is still being played mainly thx to mods.

In short, if we get modding the game lives longer as proven with Witcher 3 which came out in 2015 and is still being played mainly thx to mods.
This is one of the main pluses of the mods for any game that a lot of devs kinda seem to ignore. Mods can make the game live on oh-so-long. Moddable SP games can easily outlive even MP-only games - what to say about unmoddable SP ones. Original Rome Total War still lives. Morrowind still lives. Heck, Arcanum still lives.
CDPR doesn't need to do much, actually. No need for official mods support either. Just don't code your archives way too much and make sure the game would be happy to load any user-changed and added files - and voila. If the game would be successful, the modding community will appear out of itself.

Top Bottom