• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
Would you like to see more gameworks?

Witcher 3 already has a good amount of NVidia's Gameworks technologies, to include HBAO+ and Hairworks. Both add significantly to the IQ of the base game, especially the HBAO+. Also whilst HW doesn't make a huge improvement on Geralt's hair, it's a massive improvement on certain animals and monsters like horses, wolves, fiends etcetera...

At any rate, what would you have thought if the Witcher 3 had included more GW technologies, such as Waveworks (which can now be seen in Just Cause 3) and the rain effects seen in Batman Arkham Knight?

Whilst the current water simulation in the Witcher 3 is serviceable, there is plenty of room for improvement. In fact, water simulation was one of the things they nerfed in the retail edition compared to the E3 footage. Since the launch, they have been improving it however. Patch 11 definitely has improved wave and water simulation compared to when the game first launched. Still, the water effects seen in Just Cause 3 are to me a massive improvement over anything seen in the Witcher 3, and it's also simulated on the CPU so AMD users can run it no problem.

Same for the rain effects. The rain shaders in Batman Arkham Knight totally outclass the one in the Witcher 3 and makes the rain in the Witcher 3 look like something from last gen. I wouldn't mind one bit if CDPR decided to implement NVidia's rain effects in the Witcher 3..

No, thanks. Although I love HBAO+ and have it turned on in most of the games, I hate to sacrifice FPS in favour of good for nothing visual enhancements. Witcher 3 has rather much better optimization though. With even Hairworks turned on I get around 35-40 FPS with my GTX 750 Ti GS. But I don't see much of a difference. It seems kind of artificial, while with Hairworks off it seems more natural.

Last edited:
if they look good, yes, the hairworks look really bad, i prefer the default hair texture
phisyx looks really good, but it's not in tw3

No, thanks. Although I love HBAO+ and have it turned on in most of the games, I hate to sacrifice FPS in favour of good for nothing visual enhancements. Witcher 3 has rather much better optimization though. With even Hairworks turned on I get around 35-40 FPS with my GTX 750 Ti GS. But I don't see much of a difference. It seems kind of artificial, while with Hairworks off it seems more natural.

These features are usually optional so you can turn them off if the performance hit is too great. Also, they are highly optimized. The waveworks uses the CPU and is also in the console version of Just Cause 3, whilst the rain effects from Batman Arkham Knight runs equally well on AMD and NVidia hardware.

if they look good, yes, the hairworks look really bad, i prefer the default hair texture
phisyx looks really good, but it's not in tw3

Have you seen the HW effects for monsters and animals? Those look great! Geralt's hair with HW is kind of passable though I agree.. Also the game does use PhysX 3.3, which runs on the CPU..

if they could start to re introduce their own effects that would be cool

Yeah that would really be nice. So many cool effects that were axed from the final version makes me sad.. Perhaps one day we'll see their resurrection when CDPR inevitably do a DX12 respin after they upgrade Red Engine 3 to DX12 capability..

---------- Updated at 02:20 AM ----------

More proprietary tech? No thanks.

What's wrong with proprietary tech? If it wasn't for proprietary technology, gaming (and especially PC gaming) would be nowhere near where it is today..

Open standards are nice and all, but open source development tends to be chaotic and lacking focus due to conflicting paradigms and lack of accountability. Just look at AMD's failures over the years in open source development....

The rain should look like Batman Arkham Knight and much more wet and immersive :)
I mean just the raindrops itself, all of the mods for "Better Rain" just delivered pure white raindrops in all sizes and variations but rain is not white - it is almost invisible and greyish-transparent.

And Geralts Hairworks could be more dense and with longer hair, because hairworks off looks way better and natural and realistic than hairworks on.
Without mods HW on on Geralt always looks like if half of his hair is gone missing suddenly and the rest had been replaced by grandpa-grey spaghetti. :D

What's wrong with proprietary tech? If it wasn't for proprietary technology, gaming (and especially PC gaming) would be nowhere near where it is today..

Open standards are nice and all, but open source development tends to be chaotic and lacking focus due to conflicting paradigms and lack of accountability. Just look at AMD's failures over the years in open source development....

This is partially true but what you also need to consider is how the companies behind commercial and proprietary tools, squeezed out competing open source standards, by essentially paying people off to use their products.

Bottom line is, they have more money and weight to throw around. Open source is often a victim to those sort of practices.

Top Bottom