Would you live in Night City in real life?

+

Gangs

• Voodoo Boys

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Tyger Claws

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Maelstrom

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Valentinos

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • 6th Street

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Animals

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Moxes

Votes: 55 51.9%
  • Scavangers

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Cyberpunk's world is just too messed up. I don't think I'd enjoy living anywhere within it. On that note, I can't think of any RPG worlds I'd actually enjoy or want to live in. In most your life would mainly consist of running away from evil things.

Nope. Have people forgotten that cyberpunk societies are meant to be dystopias? Cyberpunk grew out of the social-political anxiety of the 80s and was meant as a warning.

Now if I was the protagonist it might negate the downsides somewhat thanks to plot armor but life as a random person on the street would kind of suck. Even then, I don't think I want as eventful a life as a cyberpunk novel protagonist.

That said, today I think people like cyberpunk more for its aesthetic[1] than what it represents.

[1] An aesthetic - pioneered by Ridley Scott's Blade Runner - that Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't quick nail to be frank based on trailers I have seen. Too bright, not enough smog and overcast. No nigh perpetual rain - which results in a dark atmosphere with reflective wet surfaces everywhere that really brings out the neonlights - something games like Cloudpunk really nail despite it's low fi graphics.

I've been in a couple war zones, and Night City basically is one.
I'll be more then happy to visit via a video game, but actually live there IRL?
NOT A CHANCE !

Corporations are more powerful than governments. Take a any unscrupulous corporation from the real world...like Electronics Arts, now take that unscrupulous corporate culture and crank it up to eleven, while giving them a private army and actual control over your life. Does that sound like a fun future?

The gulf between rich and poor is wider than it has ever been in what used to be the United States, and while a small minority are swimming in wealth and living decadent lives full of excess, the majority of the population is living in crushing proverty.

The average person isn't even eating "real" food regularly. They're eating kibble, a mass produced nutrient mix. It is said to smell and taste like dog food.

Then there is the fact that many neighborhoods are outright warzones that make the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the real world seem safe by comparison.

Or that there is little to no social safety net. Caught a stray bullet while crossing the street, but don't have many eddies and no private insurance? Good luck.

Last edited:
If it wasn't a game but real,i would be a Nomad hermit in a Badlands bunker (i live in the countryside irl) but as it is a game,i'm going to be Corpo city-slicker and be into everything i dislike about human 'society' i.e. wealth,power & selfishness! 😁👌

No.

Forest land, with clear tinkling streams, plenty of veggies, bugs, fruits to eat, and a warm burrow at night for me! ;)

I already live in soCal so I'm used to the crowds, but I'd rather not live in a dystopia with large irradiated wastelands and corporation so much in charge that they wage open war with one another like countries.

Also, the billboards/media would make me sick. 90% of them look like they were done by same person and "grossness" seems to be the unifying idea. It makes sense for ads like this to be in a game like GTA because it's entire premise is that it's a low brow parody of our reality, but if you're trying to create a believable world, you can take a more subtly humorous tone that's just as funny and a lot more insightful. Nobody's going to see a fat sweaty guy with no shirt and dirty shorts with farts emanating from his fingers and want to buy a taco flavored snack let alone plaster that on a 50 foot billboard. You can create a more biting critique of capitalism run amok by recreating actual advertisements we have today but turning the messaging up to extreme (downright absurd) levels, like in Robocop. In that regard one of the best ads in the game is the attorney ad with futuristic grounds for cases but most of the ads in the game are utter garbage (and there's nothing like seeing the same one 2 or 3 times in a row when you're trying to watch the in game lore on the news).

Also, the billboards/media would make me sick. 90% of them look like they were done by same person and "grossness" seems to be the unifying idea. It makes sense for ads like this to be in a game like GTA because it's entire premise is that it's a low brow parody of our reality, but if you're trying to create a believable world, you can take a more subtly humorous tone that's just as funny and a lot more insightful. Nobody's going to see a fat sweaty guy with no shirt and dirty shorts with farts emanating from his fingers and want to buy a taco flavored snack let alone plaster that on a 50 foot billboard. You can create a more biting critique of capitalism run amok by recreating actual advertisements we have today but turning the messaging up to extreme (downright absurd) levels, like in Robocop. In that regard one of the best ads in the game is the attorney ad with futuristic grounds for cases but most of the ads in the game are utter garbage (and there's nothing like seeing the same one 2 or 3 times in a row when you're trying to watch the in game lore on the news).
Frankly, Night City doesn't feel all that cyberpunk ... It's too bright and too clean. Too much open space. Also where's the perpetual rain? Cyberpunk cities are supposed to feel oppressive. Night City feels too nice, almost like a vacation spot.

In general, the game is too bright outside and too dark inside. Every stream I watch it looks like they fighting in the dark when indoors.

Frankly, Night City doesn't feel all that cyberpunk ... It's too bright and too clean. Too much open space. Also where's the perpetual rain? Cyberpunk cities are supposed to feel oppressive. Night City feels too nice, almost like a vacation spot.

In general, the game is too bright outside and too dark inside. Every stream I watch it looks like they fighting in the dark when indoors.

Well, Night City is in Southern California, a region not known for perpetual amounts of rain.

Maybe a game set in London might feel more cyberpunk to ya.

Top Bottom