Would you live in Night City in real life?

+

Gangs

• Voodoo Boys

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Tyger Claws

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Maelstrom

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Valentinos

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • 6th Street

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Animals

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Moxes

Votes: 55 51.9%
  • Scavangers

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Well, Night City is in Southern California, a region not known for perpetual amounts of rain.

Maybe a game set in London might feel more cyberpunk to ya.
Doesn't matter where it's set. The nigh perpetual rain (and everything being eternally damp) is an element that contributes to the oppressive feeling of the environment. It's a core trope of cyberpunk world design.

In lore it's typically explained away as due to pollution.

I tend to be a bit small and fox like and furry suited... the dragon claws would eat me for the dishonor of having to see me depreciating their shrine Inaris... that be putting a stone in front of my dug out fox den no.

Hell no. Disgusting city with heaps of thrash around everywhere, even in downtown, gang wars at every corner and advertising billboards (with sound, too!) everywhere. It needs to be nuked into oblivion once and for all.

Saying "yes" would also mean living in the time and world. Do I honestly want it?

There's many very clear and subtle implications from the lore and game itself in what state the world is. Overcrowding, twisted power shift (to corporations), species being extinct. There's positive aspects like body modification, technological advancement, etc. Question is, if it outweighs the cons.

Even Night City itself (let's ignore the larger world for a moment) is somewhat horrible, but I guess that's the point of the cyberpunk genre. The poor are the most poor, the rich the most rich. I mean the gap is the biggest than ever. Police is understaffed and unresponsive. Corps can push you around, psychos or gangers screw you over.

The more I saw the world, the happier I was to live in this time. As a certain Net Watch agent watching a certain movie type says: Times were simpler back then. For me, that simpler "better" time is 2020 (in reality, I mean). You have relative order in comparable bigger cities. Well, okay, some are pretty dangerous in specific parts or in general, but I speak about the average big western (European) city at least. You usually don't have horrible gang hotspot all over the city or cyberpsychos running amok. You can usually call police and they respond in reasonable time depending on the type of emergency, and they do a relative nice job at coverage and being everywhere instead of plain out pulling out of areas altogether or being in corporate pockets, on average.

Speaking of corporations, we live in a time where corporations do have power and international influence. They like to dodge taxes and some do shady things, but nowhere close to the daily bread and butter of the cyberpunk world. Here, corporations can and often will be put in their place, ironically saw news today where Mark Zuckerberg's company might face hefty fines or something similar and losses due to authorities investigating potential crimes there. Unthinkable in the world of Cyberpunk, relatively at least. It's just not the environment.

Oh yeah, the environment, don't get me started.

Long story short: It's fun to explore this possible future from the safety of my home and time I live in, but I wouldn't necessarily want to live in the city and time for real - unless I was well off perhaps.

I would live in Night City if i could do more than killing, i want to play blackjack, poker, pachinko, arcade cabinets, checkers, darts, pool, bowling, karaoke.

I CANT DO ANYTHING JUST KILL KILL KILL

so i dont want to live in a city where i cant interact with it

Id only want to live in NC because the off chance you get to be Adam Smashers fuck meat. other than that it would be to join the !Maelstrom!
They seem like a real fun bunch.

I would live in Night City if i could do more than killing, i want to play blackjack, poker, pachinko, arcade cabinets, checkers, darts, pool, bowling, karaoke.

I CANT DO ANYTHING JUST KILL KILL KILL

so i dont want to live in a city where i cant interact with it

You can't even get a sitdown meal. You run up to a food stall and they're like "here's the same junk you get out of vending machines".

At least I got to watch Jackie eat.
Post automatically merged:

Doesn't matter where it's set. The nigh perpetual rain (and everything being eternally damp) is an element that contributes to the oppressive feeling of the environment. It's a core trope of cyberpunk world design.

In lore it's typically explained away as due to pollution.

Possibly that's more in your head than an actual requirement.

Gorgeous city. Love the art style and vibrant colors. But i'd rather not get my head blown off just going to the grocery store.

Let me put this in perspective. The most dangerous city in the United States today is Detroit, Michigan, which had 273 homicides in 2019. In-game news networks say there have been over 7000 murders in Night City in 2077. Hell, the intro when you boot up the game has Ziggy saying the previous day's body count was 30. 30 violent deaths in one day. So yeah, no thanks.

I'd love to live in the time but not the city unless I were super rich.Being poor, getting screwed over by mega corporations and then getting killed while trying to buy a can of soda from the vending machine, I think ill pass.

Yes. For their Net. Their software/hardware is far more advanced and accessible to the poorest of the poor (high tech/low life). In my mind, that's the equalizer. I'd pretty much give up the 9-5 of this life for NC as a netrunner. I'd love to reverse engineer some of their devices.

Implants, facilitating 3D perception of the Net as Cyberspace, are the norm. Anyone rich or poor has access to this and if you've got the talent, the netrunner lifestyle could allow you to make significant, though illicit, money to get out of the absolute gutter. If I'm not writing programs/nethacks to exfil data from a Corpo's firewalled databank for a fixer, I'd be researching/exploring the Black Wall or designing/making custom cyberdecks.

Voodoo Boys would be my choice gang. Their reputation of being the best netrunners of NC's underground - so good, that they're viewed as an urban legend, illusive, feared as ghosts in the net that can kill. Exploring the Black Wall and finding out what lies beyond would be on my bucket list.

With high risk, comes high reward - the freedom to do what you want/gain unprecedented knowledge, all the while with no safety net.

I could go on. That's how much I've enjoyed this game.

This kind of life would at least be worth a visit.

I'm anti unregulated capitalism, a pacifist, an environmentalist, a vegan, and loathe the 'always on' drive for technology in society.

Night City and the Cyberpunk universe is like my worst case scenario for the future of humanity.

It's a no from me.

I would rather live in a Nomad clan than in the city. But I could see myself fooled like V that the city could be the attractor for a 'better' life compared to Nomad life, but I don't like big cities such as that, too crowded, to loud.

"If it were real" That can only fly if the entire globe was destroyed in war upon war and there was nothing like compared to nowadays actual life (covid-life).

Some might say were halfway thete already, the gap between richer amd poorer ,the mega corps having power beyond goverments .
Personally im relatively happy as i am ratger than night city.
On gangs i think id join mox at least they seem to attempt to protect people instead just being thugs

Top Bottom