Would you play a Witcher MMORPG?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you play a Witcher MMORPG?

Now before everyone chimes in with a resounding, shallow answer of "NO!" stop and think it over for a second and weigh the pros and cons and decide if you think it would have potential. You don't have to agree, just don't say "no" without even thinking about it.

I'm certain it won't happen and I can't say that I particularly want one, but it has all the right stuff that would fit an MMO.

MMORPG…………
LAN maybe better
if witcher became mmorpg,the timeline will………………

Forum veteran
Would it really work? In no time there'd be more Witchers running around the world than ordinary people. Besides, the Witcher is interesting because the characters are interesting; having a bunch of random people who aren't remotely interesting littering the online world would be a huge negative not only to the game, but to the Witcher world in general. "LOL im witcher lets kill monstrs guyz." I suppose if you weren't allowed to speak with other online characters and were forced into a more linear sequence of events it could technically work, but then again, that would really just be a single-player game.

It'd be funny if six out of ten people who paid to play the game died during the trial of grasses and weren't allowed to log in anymore, though.

Or if you weren't allowed to play as a Witcher, just in that world, but I don't know how well that would go over. XD Like you could play as Human, Elf, or Dwarf.

does a cat need a bra?

Forum veteran
Not only do I now know what a cat looks like in a bra, but I also have a pretty good idea what hitler would look like in a bra.

Oh hitlerstachekitty, you're genocidadorable.

Depends is it a sandbox or themebox MMO?

If it's a themepark then screw it. WoW is the king of themepark MMO's and a sandbox MMO seems more like the niche market CDPR would go for.

I love a good MMO unlike Slimgrin who well hates them (why?!) but I'm not sure a Witcher MMO would be the best IP unless if Witcher's were a class that took a lot of work to unlock like Jedi's in Star Wars Galaxies before Sony decided to fuck it up.

I don't care for MMO's in the first place, so making a Witcher themed MMO wouldn't have my interest.

I agree with 227 as well. The Witcher world might be an interesting setting for an MMO, but Witcher's are a rarity, so who gets to choose what players get that vaunted title? Also, I don't think MP in any form is something every game needs or should have. FWIW, YMMV.

First post on these forums, so here goes...

I've only recently dived into the Witcher series, and I've loved the campaigns for both games. The branching story lines are one of it's greatest strengths, and I really don't think an MMO would serve to highlight that. As Omega12596 stated as well, Witcher's aren't commonplace in the Northern Kingdoms, so heaps of people running around as one would be jarring.

I have played both World of War Craft and The Old Republic. And while the Old Republic is a big step as far as a story based MMO goes, you just cannot get passed the static worlds. I have no idea how to fix it either, I am just the guy who no longer plays them because of it. I believe the Witcher could be a successful MMO. But I would hate to see it become one. I could explain in depth what I despise about the static worlds. Suffice to say. nothing in the world changes evil is never truly vanquished even after defeating said menace. and if you hang around an area long enough. you may be forced to face said vanquished foe again as another person enters the area to complete their quest.

The entire MMO scene is mainly quest based as opposed to story driven. Though I applaud Bioware for attempting to make an interesting story. But still aside from the dialogue and cut scenes you just cannot seem to get away from the MMO feel. it's almost like you are waiting in line fro the person ahead of you to finish their quest. so you can begin yours. you kind of stand around let them finish the quest as an actual spectator. then the next person in line goes.. IF people are acting courteously. You never feel immersed or really connected. It's like one BIG dungeon crawl. For me personally it was hard to keep the story in perspective. and the storyline threads don't always seem to connect many times it feels random. like seeing enemies standing around all over the place. just standing.. not in a tactical position. not to ambush ect.. just standing waiting for the next player to wander close to them which initiates combat. I would hope they would keep the Witcher a true role playing game. the story... the charactors. the struggle. your choices as well as the gameplay make it a great game. Sadly I am afraid an mmo would diminish the things everyone loves about the game. JMO.. I personally am done with the MMO scene. So I would hope they choose not to go that route.

this really is a double edged sword since there are so many things to consider and its possibility's. for one, factions. maybe you could be scoi'a'tel or temarian or nilfgaard empire and so on. classes and races to choose from, swordsman, archer, mage for classes and human, dwarf, elf or something else perhaps? combat mechanics would have to be changed or we would have a party of people just wildly swinging their swords around trying to kill things. enough people spam weak attack and you could probably kill anything. as for story, i have no idea. im sure there are many possibility's for something good, perhaps something before the first two games to do with the war with nilfgaard? as for the point made about witchers being rare, i agree that a game filled with them would decrease the significance of witchers and would ultimately take away from the game, but on the same token i want to hunt monsters and such and do witchers work like we all love so much. that being said, some group monster hunting and contracts and quests i think would be amazing if done right. all in all i think its a sound concept but it would have to be executed with alot of care, time and fan based input.

From the lore point of view, allowing everyone to be a Witcher is technically doable IF the servers are kept small and the thing is set WELL before the events of TW1. Before the sacking of Kaer Morhen, to be precise. That wild time would allow for scores of witcher PCs. Add to that sorcerers of minor power (and make it clear they're just errand boys for their masters THE WHOLE GAME to stay true to the lore) and perhaps real knights, and we've got the basic 3 classes to work with.

HOWEVER I am unsure whether the dreadful, immutable nature of MMO's would do justice to the source material. Unless a serious mechanism for C&C is somehow introduced to MMO's, such a game won't have the most appealing element of The Witcher series.

If it stayed true to the lore, maybe even had Sapkowski help write the background for it, fuck yes I would. I don't just love the game. I love the whole world it's set in. The best part of these games is the backstory and the depth.
If they could propperly convey that in an MMO while still making it interesting to play and not just WoW copy-paste bullshit, then yes. Abso-fucking-lutely I would play the shit out of it.

I would play hell ya. possible characters (human as warrior,sorcerers),(Dwarfs as warrior only),(Elf as hunter only) and (Witcher can use magic and warrior skills but not as skilled as a sorcerer or warrior) can play like guild wars 2 healing your self spells. would be fun with all that lore dragon dungeons shit.

No tittle needs a classic mmorpg atm, and until blizzard "raises" the standards to a whole new level, assuming they do with titans, or someone else ( say... guildwars )manages to establish a new "formula" the idea of an mmorpg based on anything is pointless, since most developers have to clue where to go.

There are literally no "serious" mmorpgs launched since wow, the only one i can think of its SWOTOR which almost everyone agrees should have been KOTOR 3 and bioware would have gotten more money and not look like an ass for trying to milk customers again.

The developing of an mmorpg is expensive and the market it full with a lot of new mediocre tittle right now, it would be CPR first try at an mmo ( they might partner with someone but that doesn't changes a lot of things ), it would mean delaying TW3 and duming down the story...the idea of a witcher mmorpg is stupid and insensible you got to have a serious lack of information on the history of mmorpgs and where the market is now to even think of that.

Even if a company that has experience in mmorpg and the founds to create one would take upon themselves to make it, the witcher world isn't that special... why make an mmo there ? the fan love the game due to decision making and how it impacts story... that is gone 99% in an mmorpg.

No! Its way to early. Maybe after Witcher 3 if it becomes a success like current game. There are to many proper MMO on the market atm. I wouldnt waste money on it.. yet but maybe in 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom