Would you want 900p option on PS4?

+

• Yes. 900p option on PS4 sounds great.

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • No. Don't even put this idea in CDPR's head.

Votes: 47 56.0%

• Total voters
Yes, I would. Most definitely. If it helps with the framerate, yes. Die difference between 1080p and 900p is not as noticeable as the difference between 30fps and 20fps.

If this is the only way to resolve the fps-problems, yes, give us the choice.

Yes, I would. Most definitely. If it helps with the framerate, yes. Die difference between 1080p and 900p is not as noticeable as the difference between 30fps and 20fps.

If this is the only way to resolve the fps-problems, yes, give us the choice.

I have to agree as long as it's not forced on us an it's a choice.

It looks like the majority of gamers here don't want a 900p option even if it means they'll get smoother performance. I don't understand it, but oh well. Without gamer demand CDPR most likely won't attempt such an endeavor, knowing that they'd also anger Sony's marketing department. I guess I'll take a break from my dear Geralt for a few months and hope that they competently fix things in the meantime.

Thanks for taking part in this poll.

900p, 720p, 480p, it doesn't fucking matter what the resolution is the frames will still drop.

The game simply WAS NOT READY for launch on the PS4. They need to optimize, and that doesn't mean to DOWNGRADE, as this is NOT how you OPTIMIZE. So don't even try to justify SUB-HD as that won't fix anything.

Either software issue, the engine needs work, or they have serious issues with the PS4's API and needed more time.

You do NOT downgrade to optimize.

---------- Updated at 04:16 AM ----------

@slothentropy Obviously, as majority know the drop to 900p won't fix jack shit, so don;t even try to justify the downgrade. Learn what optimization means, the issues with RED Engine, the PS4's API, CDPR needs to optimize, and that doesn't include 900p so quit thinking it does.

Guest 3834709

I'd love the option! As long as the technical side is consistent, it doesn't really impact on me and currently the choppiness has been a real issue. Bring it on!

NEVER.

The performance issues aren't related to 1080p res, but the code optimization. Why some places even crowed and plenty of polygons are perfectly playable since other places where there are only particles the fps dropping is brutal? OPTIMIZATION. Lowering the res to 900p doesn't fix anything.

Guys, did you buy a PS4 to play at 900p?? Seriously?

Last edited:
[
Guys, did you buy a PS4 to play at 900p?? Seriously?

And did you bought a PS4 only for the 1080p ? Sell the PS4, buy a PC and play on 4k !
I just want to play games without worrying about performance.
Sure it's the optimizations the problem...but the game drop to 20 !! Not to 27/8 ! The problem it's bigger than you think !
I think they can't achieve 30 frames without downgrading ...and the FORCED 1080P sure don't help !
You think that games likes Bloodborne would not run better without 1080p ?!!
Sony is FORCING the resolution on PS4.
Cmon man...if you are a resolution fetishist buy a PC XD

That's my opinion.

Last edited:
And did you bought a PS4 only for the 1080p ? Sell the PS4, buy a PC and play on 4k !
Sure it's the optimizations the problem...but the game drop to 20 !! Not to 27/8 ! The problem it's bigger than you think !
I think they can't achieve 30 frames without downgrading ...and the FORCED 1080P sure don't help !

That's my opinion.

Resolution fetishist? You don't think 1080p should be a standard in 2015? 900p? Keep that shit on the laptop console xbox.

Seriously anything below 1080p shouldn't even exsists on a modern system. Hell in a few years 1440p will be a mainstream standard on PC. A 7850 OC (ps4) is more than capable of 1080p.

Nobody buys a pc for a resolution that have been a standard since 2004

EDIT: Oh and a 4K Capable PC is 4x a console in terms of money. Think you meant 1080p/1440p maxxed. Even 1440p maxxed requires a lot of horsepower.

@greenfish Yes, it should be the standard .
But if developers can't run a game at 30fps you don't think that is better a lower resolution ?! Not difficult to understand !

That's my opinion.

Each game I've played in my PS4 has 1080p native res and it works fine. Why do you think that 1080p res brings bad performance? It isn't that way at all.

The fps dropping of TW3 is caused by bad optimization with PARTICLES. Only with PARTICLES. It's not related to PS4 performance or native 1080p.

I'm not "1080p fetishist. I have TV and monitor with 1080p native res, and I want to play by this res. PS4 runs its games at 1080p perfectly. TW3 looks pretty nice at 1080p but has issues with some punctual bad optimization places.

PS:
Why do people think that lowering resolution it has a direct and magical impact on fps? It's not this way at all most of times. TW3 runs smoothly almost all game but punctual places where it concerns some kind of particles. (fire, smoke, dust, rain, etc.) no matter how many polygons are shown on screen.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that's the 1080p brings this frame rate. But for sure with a lower resolution the game could run better . Maybe just a little ....but what i can't understand is why a game that run in this conditions you have to force the 1080p that make it even more heavier ?!!!! This is no sense !

I'm not saying that's the 1080p brings this frame rate. But for sure with a lower resolution the game could run better . Maybe just a little ....but what i can't understand is why a game that run in this conditions you have to force the 1080p that make it even more heavier ?!!!! This is no sense !

Mate, the fact is that lowering the res to 900p it wont has any impact on performance, since right now it runs smoothly even when the screen is crowed and plenty of polygons.

The problem is related to the optimization of particles like rain, fire, smoke, etc. Under these circumstances, no matter how many polygons are shown on screen (it can happen even with just a few of them), the fps dropping happens.

I mean, lowering the res to 900p, what for? The general performance runs well. The problem is related to only punctual places where some kind of particles are shown. If these places and their particles aren't programed properly, then no matter if you lower the res to 900p, the fps dropping will happen.

Do yourself the test:
1) Get to Novigrad at daytime, with no rain and torches/ pyres turned off (from 6:00 am). You will notice that everything run smoothly, even if the streets are crowed of people and the screen is plenty of polygons.
2) Get to Novigrad at nighttime, when all the pyres/ torches are on fire (the particles are shown). You will notice that everything run very unplayable, even if no people are near to you, or there are not much polygon charge at all.

So, with the empirical proof here, why do you want to lower the native res to 900p? The fps dropping is not related to the native 1080p res or even the general performance, but the bad system of particles. It hasn't been optimized as should be.

You can experience brutal fps dropping even in some places where there are no more than a few trees and a hill. But a lot of dust, rain, etc. That's the key.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

Dude, why do you think that lowering resolution wouldn't improve the situation on consoles? I mean, I have pc version so I don't have such problems with game but if I had I would lower the resolution. Let's say there is a problem with an X parameter of game. It is particles in this case. Most likely developers will not re-code them because:
a) It's too hard to do.
b) They don't care.
c) Particle system they made is already optimized, and the only way to improve fps is to reduce particles count which has nothing to do with optimization (and they are not allowed to do so because sony told them about "all versions should look similar or better on their console").
d) All of those cases.
So... If this is the case lowering the other Y parameter (let's say resolution) will compensate X parameter. That's simple. Although lowering resolution to 900p will improve the situation but not eliminate it since it will add only 5~ fps but it will eliminate lags and stutters only in cases where fps drops to 25 and not in cases where game runs at 18fps.
If I had ps4. I would definitely want options to lower the graphics even more to maintain solid 30 fps which is the absolute minimum to play game.

---------- Updated at 07:55 PM ----------

Uhm, I just ran witcher to test resolution impact on framerate and it's much bigger than I thought... The cost is the more blurry image in fullscreen (textures are not sharp anymore etc) but +11 by going to 900p from 1080p.
1080p:
http://postimg.org/image/bv0b4e91f/full/
900p:
http://postimg.org/image/ek3ibwkun/full/

But if you could get monitor/tv with 900p native resolution image wouldn't be blurry...

Dude, why do you think that lowering resolution wouldn't improve the situation on consoles? I mean, I have pc version so I don't have such problems with game but if I had I would lower the resolution. Let's say there is a problem with an X parameter of game. It is particles in this case. Most likely developers will not re-code them because:
a) It's too hard to do.
b) They don't care.
c) Particle system they made is already optimized, and the only way to improve fps is to reduce particles count which has nothing to do with optimization (and they are not allowed to do so because sony told them about "all versions should look similar or better on their console").
d) All of those cases.
So... If this is the case lowering the other Y parameter (let's say resolution) will compensate X parameter. That's simple. Although lowering resolution to 900p will improve the situation but not eliminate it since it will add only 5~ fps but it will eliminate lags and stutters only in cases where fps drops to 25 and not in cases where game runs at 18fps.
If I had ps4. I would definitely want options to lower the graphics even more to maintain solid 30 fps which is the absolute minimum to play game.

Getting better fps isn't so easy as saying "let's lower resolution". It's more complex than that. It's the only solution for lazy programers, bad programers, and only sometimes.

It's clear for me that the particle system works bad, I don't know why but it's what it's. The game always suffers brutal fps dropping at these conditions, but the other things in the game runs perfectly.

I'm sure about lowering the res to 900p isn't worth it because most of the time TW3 runs fine. The problem isn't in the polygon charge (the best reason for lowering res in many other cases, but not here), nor shadows, etc.

PC, XONE, PS4 have different architectures, and programers must adapt they work in order to do the best in terms of performance, optimization, etc. XONE can't run almost any game at 1080p, but PS4 do each of them. So the problem is other than simply saying "lower res to 900p because PS4 hasn't enough power". In the other hand, We're talking about very complex electronic components, graphic cards, processors, buffers, etc. plus the code which should be adapted to it by the best way to get the best performance.

I don't agree with "Particle system they made is already optimized". If it was optimized the game wouldn't suffer any fps dropping. I played this game with 1.00v, and all places where I could see any particle (mostly fog) the fps dropping appeared. It wasn't playable at all. But then 1.01v came and the same places (White Orchad), with the same particles, ran perfectly smooth and nice. What happened there? CDPR fixed what they had to fix.

With this proof of reliance (for me at least), I think CDPR can fix it without the need to lower res, that I'm not sure even it could be useful.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

Getting better fps isn't so easy as saying "let's lower resolution". It's more complex than that. It's the only solution for lazy programers, bad programers, and only sometimes.

It's clear for me that the particle system works bad, I don't know why but it's what it's. The game always suffers brutal fps dropping at these conditions, but the other things in the game runs perfectly.

I'm sure about lowering the res to 900p isn't worth it because most of the time TW3 runs fine. The problem isn't in the polygon charge (the best reason for lowering res in many other cases, but not here), nor shadows, etc.

PC, XONE, PS4 have different architectures, and programers must adapt they work in order to do the best in terms of performance, optimization, etc. XONE can't run almost any game at 1080p, but PS4 do each of them. So the problem is other than simply saying "lower res to 900p because PS4 hasn't enough power". In the other hand, We're talking about very complex electronic components, graphic cards, processors, buffers, etc. plus the code which should be adapted to it by the best way to get the best performance.

I don't agree with "Particle system they made is already optimized". If it was optimized the game wouldn't suffer any fps dropping. I played this game with 1.00v, and all places where I could see any particle (mostly fog) the fps dropping appeared. It wasn't playable at all. But then 1.01v came and the same places (White Orchad), with the same particles, ran perfectly smooth and nice. What happened there? CDPR fixed what they had to fix.

With this proof of reliance (for me at least), I think CDPR can fix it without the need to lower res, that I'm not sure even it could be useful.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely understand what you are saying.
Your comment seems absolutely reasonable but lets look a little deeper into this problem.
Drawing particles takes resources. It is impossible to draw something without hitting the hardware. I hope this is understandable statement.
To be able to run 30fps capped 30 fps should be maintained all the times. Let's say in those situations what you described game runs at 34fps without fog. When fog is on it drops to 27-28 fps. So you had fps related issues. You already mentioned that patch 1.01 fixed this issue for you so it seems that they already optimized particles in this patch up to the point when particles only take 4 fps insted of 6-7. So now fps drops to 30 during those scenes. It's critically low but it meets the requirement (30 fps minimum).
But let's say they would add rain to that scene which will again lower your fps by 4. It's now 26fps. You experience lags.
I can't think of any other way than turning the rain off or lowering other parameters (Or improving hardware). You see, the rain itself wouldn't be the problem if at that point the sum of other parameters (lower resolution/textures/foliage/etc) would give you 34fps.
And again, it's impossible to optimize something to the point which won't hit fps. Physically impossible.

Also why would you be against OPTIONAL resolution option? I mean, if you think the game runs fine then you could leave everything as it is, but if you notice fps drops you could just lower some options...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong I absolutely understand what you are saying.
Your comment seems absolutely reasonable but lets look a little deeper into this problem.
Drawing particles takes resources. It is impossible to draw something without hitting the hardware. I hope this is understandable statement.
To be able to run 30fps capped 30 fps should be maintained all the times. Let's say in those situations what you described game runs at 34fps without fog. When fog is on it drops to 27-28 fps. So you had fps related issues. You already mentioned that patch 1.01 fixed this issue for you so it seems that they already optimized particles in this patch up to the point when particles only take 4 fps insted of 6-7. So now fps drops to 30 during those scenes. It's critically low but it meets the requirement (30 fps minimum).
But let's say they would add rain to that scene which will again lower your fps by 4. It's now 26fps. You experience lags.
I can't think of any other way than turning the rain off or lowering other parameters (Or improving hardware). You see, the rain itself wouldn't be the problem if at that point the sum of other parameters (lower resolution/textures/foliage/etc) would give you 34fps.
And again, it's impossible to optimize something to the point which won't hit fps. Physically impossible.

Also why would you be against OPTIONAL resolution option? I mean, if you think the game runs fine then you could leave everything as it is, but if you notice fps drops you could just lower some options...

I'm not against any kind of option in order to configure the game. But I doubt that CDPR would bring us an option, but a change with no election. That's the problem. Besides, most of people who want to get 900p neither claim for "an option", but the imposition (I know that you don't) to change resolution as the only solution.

We're talking in hypothetical terms, we aren't programers in CDPR, we don't have the enough information that is necessary to make affirmations like "just lower the res to 900p and everybody will be happy because all problems run away". I think that all this is very very very more complex than that. The architecture of PS4 (it's not PC nor XONE), the code, the performance tricks, the graphic engine, etc.

The most important thing, what we really can "take with our hands": why CDPR fixed areas of White Orchad that was unplayable (fog places) from 1.00v to 1.01, and they can't do the same for Velen and the other maps? They can do the same now, they are working on it with no need to lower res like bad and lazy programers do.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

I'm not against any kind of option in order to configure the game. But I doubt that CDPR would bring us an option, but a change with no election. That's the problem. Besides, most of people who want to get 900p neither claim for "an option", but the imposition as the only solution. (I know that you don't)

We're talking in hypothetical words, we aren't programers in CDPR, we don't have the enough information that is necessary to make affirmations like "just lower the res to 900p and everybody will be happy because all problems run away". I think that all this is very very very more complex than that.

Yeah sadly it's true. :( They won't add such options to game. That was the reason I hated my PS3.

Well, speaking of complexity. It's not so MUCH more comlex. When I was in university I did little game on directx 9 as my project. You see, all this thing works like this: You create game window with nothing inside it. Launch the game. You measure the fps. It is let's say 10000 frames per second. You add a few triangles and you get minus few fps. That's how it works... But yeah, we are not programmers from CDRP, so we don't know how they wrote the game.

And the most important thing: why CDPR fixed areas of White Orchad that was unplayable (fog places) from 1.00v to 1.01, and they can't do the same for Velen and the other maps? They can do the same now.

This is a legit question, but I would like to know why all developers want to create graphically demanding games on such weak hardware so desperately. I mean... I personally wouldn't mind if the game looked worse but ran at 60fps and 1080p. Or at least if it looked not much worse but had some fps reserve and could provide 30fps but 100% of the time. Damn... If games ran like this on ps4 I would definitely buy it for 400 bucks...

Top Bottom