would you want each lifepath having a unique passive or unique attributes?

+

Guest 4375874

completely agree with you, i do think sadly it is too late to change now but look at no man's sky they improved a lot with that game which wasnt expected so you never know
Not feasible. And it comes back to the suggestions that fall short of understanding how development works. No Man's Sky essentially takes place in open fields, different but much like Witcher 3 where you don't notice the emptiness... not a condensed city and isn't on the same level as Cyberpunk 2077 that's very dialogue heavy. I will point out Skyrim doesn't even give you a voice in the first place because it's a daunting process in an open world game. CP2077 has done far better than other open world games in that respect. You'd need to pay voice actors to basically do 3 times what you did before to do what your asking, that's just not realistic for a game of this scope. It's doable but not worth the resources. Time is better spent scripting expansions

Last edited by a moderator:
Not feasible. And it comes back to the suggestions that fall short of understanding how development works. No Man's Sky essentially takes place in open fields, different but much like Witcher 3 where you don't notice the emptiness... not a condensed city and isn't on the same level as Cyberpunk 2077 that's very dialogue heavy. I will point out Skyrim doesn't even give you a voice in the first place because it's a daunting process in an open world game. CP2077 has done far better than other open world games in that respect. You'd need to pay voice actors to basically do 3 times what you did before to do what your asking, that's just not realistic for a game of this scope. It's doable but not worth the resources. Time is better spent scripting expansions
Disagree, I mean I agree with some of it but no man's sky had like 20 people working on it while cyberpunk has many more, personally I do think they should work on other things but it is doable just not where I think They should spend their time and resources right now

Guest 4375874

Disagree, I mean I agree with some of it but no man's sky had like 20 people working on it while cyberpunk has many more, personally I do think they should work on other things but it is doable just not where I think They should spend their time and resources right now
These two aren't remotely close to being the same game in terms of the time and talent required so the comparison alone is just way off. No Man's sky isn't anywhere near Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of size and scope. I'd encourage you to take these things into consideration when drawing comparison between different games.

These two aren't remotely close to being the same game in terms of the time and talent required so the comparison alone is just way off. No Man's sky isn't anywhere near Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of size and scope. I'd encourage you to take these things into consideration when drawing comparison between different games.
jesus christ it was just a suggestion you need to calm down a bit and relax, was comparing the 2 because no man's sky was considered disappointing on release and quite frankly as good as cyberpunk is it is considered a disappointment by how many missing features that were promised are not there, how many basic features are missing, so it was more about me hoping for a no man's sky styled redemption story but you took everything way too seriously(for some random reason)

anyways moving on from this ridiculous exchange, i really wish as a nomad you could do more with cars, yes you can get your old car back, yes you can get a modified version of a specific bike but i was hoping for more when it comes to cars in general but especially being a nomad, especially your first car i love that car would have loved a few options which changed its performance

Corpo: Everything is less expensive, you can sell at higher prices; buy low sell high. Maybe chance to bribe certain people.

Streetkid: Chance too find extra loot/chance to intimidate gangoons or something. Like, just really go for the alley rat vibe.

Nomad: Chance to pass Tech skill-checks even without the proper level/better driving. Maybe some sort of cowboy ability?

Corpo: Everything is less expensive, you can sell at higher prices; buy low sell high. Maybe chance to bribe certain people.

Streetkid: Chance too find extra loot/chance to intimidate gangoons or something. Like, just really go for the alley rat vibe.

Nomad: Chance to pass Tech skill-checks even without the proper level/better driving. Maybe some sort of cowboy ability?
i personally do think Nomad being able to find extra loot to fit better but that could work, not sure about a cowboy ability i would prefer something you would find in mad max tbh, i still see the nomad's as more mad max than anything else would love to see something similar to that

Nomads already got Panam, we're good
And the potential for Judy for the femV's ;)

On topic: sure why not.
Different perks of such thing based on background is always good in a game like this.

Here my small suggestion possibilities.
Corp
Ability: chance to subdue enemy police as authority figure
Perk: better bartering

Streetkid
Ability: call in temporary help from nearby gangers, if allied.
Perk: better scrounging/looting

Nomad
Ability: scrap and forge some unique weapon variants
Perk: better driving and tech skill.

Probably much more options that can be names. Butnits a start.

Last edited:
I still see the nomad's as more mad max than anything else would love to see something similar to that

Yeah, perhaps my perspective is different since I never got to play 2020 and let's be honest in 2077 the Aldecaldos are pretty redneck-y. Maybe instead of more loot the Streetkid gets to steal shit? Like maybe they're the only ones who can pickpocket, or maybe they get a modifier to the non-lethal grapple takedown that immediately loots the enemy? Idk man, I kinda want the Streetkid to behave like a Mexico City low-life since they gew up in Heywood lmao. I picture them pulling up like "Camara raza pongase la del puebla o lo rajo a la vergaaa" hahaha

Yes...no????

I considered the idea of life paths acting like racial bonuses in other games, such as elves are more agile, or dwarves are strong or something, that could then be rolled into unique build creations based on life path selections.

Corpos' could be better at netrunning and covert ops, while streetpunks are good at guns and melee weapons as well as nomads are good at engineering and resourcefulness.

But at the same time, limiting player choice and forcing them down builds is probably a bad idea, and often by adding starting bonuses you create a "correct" way to play.

or would you prefer each lifepath just being different story wise? i am thinking if each lifepath had a small passive such as nomad getting 10% more chance at higher level loot(just an example) or each lifepath has different stats but very small differences(like nomad would have 1 extra point in technical ability and 1 extra point in body but maybe 1 less point in cool or something) just something small so they feel different

This would be a very cool idea I think. Shame it wasn't implemented

And the potential for Judy for the femV's ;)

On topic: sure why not.
Different perks of such thing based on background is always good in a game like this.

Here my small suggestion possibilities.
Corp
Ability: chance to subdue enemy police as authority figure
Perk: better bartering

Streetkid
Ability: call in temporary help from nearby gangers, if allied.
Perk: better scrounging/looting

Nomad
Ability: scrap and forge some unique weapon variants
Perk: better driving and tech skill.

Probably much more options that can be names. Butnits a start.
i actually like these very much, yes i thought Nomads should get more/better loot however them being able to do more with loot actually sounds like a very good passive which suits them perfectly.

Yeah, perhaps my perspective is different since I never got to play 2020 and let's be honest in 2077 the Aldecaldos are pretty redneck-y. Maybe instead of more loot the Streetkid gets to steal shit? Like maybe they're the only ones who can pickpocket, or maybe they get a modifier to the non-lethal grapple takedown that immediately loots the enemy? Idk man, I kinda want the Streetkid to behave like a Mexico City low-life since they gew up in Heywood lmao. I picture them pulling up like "Camara raza pongase la del puebla o lo rajo a la vergaaa" hahaha
that is true, honestly as much as i want the nomad's to be like mad max.......they really are not like mad max and Maelstrom actually seem to have more in common with a lot of elements from mad max than the nomads do tbh(that said we dont actually get to explore many Nomad groups so maybe there are more mad maxish nomads we have not met yet)

Yes...no????

I considered the idea of life paths acting like racial bonuses in other games, such as elves are more agile, or dwarves are strong or something, that could then be rolled into unique build creations based on life path selections.

Corpos' could be better at netrunning and covert ops, while streetpunks are good at guns and melee weapons as well as nomads are good at engineering and resourcefulness.

But at the same time, limiting player choice and forcing them down builds is probably a bad idea, and often by adding starting bonuses you create a "correct" way to play.
that is a good point, maybe give us the ability to turn those bonuses off if they were in the game, but the main reason why i said the bonuses should be minor is so it doesnt push you in a specific direction however even if its a very small bonus it will push most players into a specific path so i do understand your point completely

This would be a very cool idea I think. Shame it wasn't implemented
thank you, still could be implemented one day, we will see what happens with future DLC

I think that the passive abilities should be "class" neutral, something that can work with all builds but, tbh, I am not sure what to suggest as what is listed as lifepaths in the game is 2 "roles" and 1 life path end result or game style depending on the person running the game in the PnP game.

The life path section in CP2020 is more of a story hook generator for the game master presented in such a way to create a background for the player, which is what the current (poorly implemented imho) system provides in CP2077 and I would have liked an expanded version of the one presented in one of the earlier videos (not sure which one)

Yeah - even smaller things - like Corpo getting more money from selling, street kid finding more loot, Nomad getting....something else.

Nomad's should get a skill where they can call in a temporary NPC to assist them. Nomads are all about the Family and being able to call on them for anything (5min/15m/30m) or (1/2/3 NPCs).

Street has that Solo feel. They get Combat Sense in the TTRPG which makes them more aware of their surroundings and act faster than other characters. You could translate that into a slight bump in damage (5%/10%/20%) and a reduction in damage (5%/10%/20%).

Corpo's get Resources. Start them out with some more cash and give them discounts at all vendors (10/20/30%)

Kind of unrelated, but I was curious how Cyberpunk 2020 as the pen and paper game was supposed to play to better understand the hacking system in 2077 and maybe the missing/cut content in this game. Originally 2077 had a feature where you had to physically hack into the network by jacking into a person's neck or into the physical system prior to using "quick" hacks, but now we can just use our eyeballs and wifi quick hack anything (this is more in line with 1980s-1990s knowledge of sneaker/hacker infiltration and I like the retro-ness of it....but besides the point).

So as I was reading the player handbook I noticed the class-based system of netrunners, rockerboys, medias, corpos, trauma team...and what have you.

I would consider Jackie to be a street punk and a brawler/tank in some sense. All muscle melee

T-bug is a netrunner which is more akin to a caster/support in a traditional rpg sense, so hacking is like casting spells to nuke people.

Johnny is a rocker boy (not really sure what that was in cyberpunk 2020 as far as a class based system..a bard?)

Trauma team was "tech" based and pretty much a healer/cleric/alchemist so making stimpacks/potions and doing first aid or tech repair to cybernetic implants

That leaves V to be "any role".

In a heist type situation you have a point man, a support/look out, the muscle, get away. You can see that with how the groups are setup with V, T-bug, Jackie and such....which is how it would be configured in pen and paper gaming.

So back to the OPs original idea, starting bonuses based on life paths, should be in line with those roles, but again avoiding heavy handing the players into doing things "the meta" way.

Corpo seems to be about stealth/infiltration/subterfuge/sabotage/deception. That bonus should reflect that idea, so maybe improved exp gain while doing stealth actions, more dialog choices involving trickery, being able to pay off the police if breaking the law, better prices when selling items.

Street Punk is about strength and respect. Improved street cred exp gain, less chance to be attacked by gang members while walking by them, ability to intimidate during dialog choices, discounts at vendors.

Nomads are about survival and ingenuity. Improved chance to find items when looting, faster tech exp, more dialog choices involving alternative solutions (macgyvering things), ability to repair vehicles?

Those are all random, but I found it interesting to try to correlate the pen and paper game to this iteration of cyberpunk. A lot of room to grow and adapt the game still based on that source material.

xlawx

Forum regular
Nomad
- Technical Ability +25% exp, 10% discount for weapon, mods and upgrade components
Street Kid
- Body +25% exp, 5% discount for cyberware
Corpo
- Intelligence +25% exp, 10% discount for quickhacks

I got to thinking about this more and realized that we are approaching this the wrong way.

In the pen and paper edition of CP2020, Lifepath was a way to individualize your character and provide some jumping off points for the GM. CDPR condensing these into three options was kind of heavy handed but it was a design choice.

What I think was the wrong path was wrapping the Roles (Solo, Netrunner, Rocker, etc) into these life paths. They should have made them a separate choice that would allow the player to use the Roles to customize their character to the playstyle they wish to use.

Solo: Combat
Techie: Crafting
Netrunner: Hacking

An opportunity missed...

or would you prefer each lifepath just being different story wise? i am thinking if each lifepath had a small passive such as nomad getting 10% more chance at higher level loot(just an example) or each lifepath has different stats but very small differences(like nomad would have 1 extra point in technical ability and 1 extra point in body but maybe 1 less point in cool or something) just something small so they feel different

My first thought about lifepaths was:
- Every path gets its unique vehicle, outfit and whole prolog (start game to relic mission). Also unique skills and more dialogues... that changes how you play.

Last edited:
I think that the passive abilities should be "class" neutral, something that can work with all builds but, tbh, I am not sure what to suggest as what is listed as lifepaths in the game is 2 "roles" and 1 life path end result or game style depending on the person running the game in the PnP game.

The life path section in CP2020 is more of a story hook generator for the game master presented in such a way to create a background for the player, which is what the current (poorly implemented imho) system provides in CP2077 and I would have liked an expanded version of the one presented in one of the earlier videos (not sure which one)
i agree that is why i would prefer the bonuses to be pretty small so it doesnt force you to play a lifepath in a specific way, i completely agree with you though i understand its a story hook but that didnt end up going as well as we hoped so if they put a gameplay difference it would be better imo

Nomad's should get a skill where they can call in a temporary NPC to assist them. Nomads are all about the Family and being able to call on them for anything (5min/15m/30m) or (1/2/3 NPCs).

Street has that Solo feel. They get Combat Sense in the TTRPG which makes them more aware of their surroundings and act faster than other characters. You could translate that into a slight bump in damage (5%/10%/20%) and a reduction in damage (5%/10%/20%).

Corpo's get Resources. Start them out with some more cash and give them discounts at all vendors (10/20/30%)
i like the idea of the nomad i just worry that the AI might not be amazing, i mean you have AI fighting for you sometimes but i am not sure how strong they are, i agree with the rest but i would only give street kid a 5% increase because anything else might be too strong imo

Kind of unrelated, but I was curious how Cyberpunk 2020 as the pen and paper game was supposed to play to better understand the hacking system in 2077 and maybe the missing/cut content in this game. Originally 2077 had a feature where you had to physically hack into the network by jacking into a person's neck or into the physical system prior to using "quick" hacks, but now we can just use our eyeballs and wifi quick hack anything (this is more in line with 1980s-1990s knowledge of sneaker/hacker infiltration and I like the retro-ness of it....but besides the point).

So as I was reading the player handbook I noticed the class-based system of netrunners, rockerboys, medias, corpos, trauma team...and what have you.

I would consider Jackie to be a street punk and a brawler/tank in some sense. All muscle melee

T-bug is a netrunner which is more akin to a caster/support in a traditional rpg sense, so hacking is like casting spells to nuke people.

Johnny is a rocker boy (not really sure what that was in cyberpunk 2020 as far as a class based system..a bard?)

Trauma team was "tech" based and pretty much a healer/cleric/alchemist so making stimpacks/potions and doing first aid or tech repair to cybernetic implants

That leaves V to be "any role".

In a heist type situation you have a point man, a support/look out, the muscle, get away. You can see that with how the groups are setup with V, T-bug, Jackie and such....which is how it would be configured in pen and paper gaming.

So back to the OPs original idea, starting bonuses based on life paths, should be in line with those roles, but again avoiding heavy handing the players into doing things "the meta" way.

Corpo seems to be about stealth/infiltration/subterfuge/sabotage/deception. That bonus should reflect that idea, so maybe improved exp gain while doing stealth actions, more dialog choices involving trickery, being able to pay off the police if breaking the law, better prices when selling items.

Street Punk is about strength and respect. Improved street cred exp gain, less chance to be attacked by gang members while walking by them, ability to intimidate during dialog choices, discounts at vendors.

Nomads are about survival and ingenuity. Improved chance to find items when looting, faster tech exp, more dialog choices involving alternative solutions (macgyvering things), ability to repair vehicles?

Those are all random, but I found it interesting to try to correlate the pen and paper game to this iteration of cyberpunk. A lot of room to grow and adapt the game still based on that source material.
honestly i should learn about the pen and paper game but all that sounds very interesting

Nomad
- Technical Ability +25% exp, 10% discount for weapon, mods and upgrade components
Street Kid
- Body +25% exp, 5% discount for cyberware
Corpo
- Intelligence +25% exp, 10% discount for quickhacks
i like this suggestion very much

I got to thinking about this more and realized that we are approaching this the wrong way.

In the pen and paper edition of CP2020, Lifepath was a way to individualize your character and provide some jumping off points for the GM. CDPR condensing these into three options was kind of heavy handed but it was a design choice.

What I think was the wrong path was wrapping the Roles (Solo, Netrunner, Rocker, etc) into these life paths. They should have made them a separate choice that would allow the player to use the Roles to customize their character to the playstyle they wish to use.

Solo: Combat
Techie: Crafting
Netrunner: Hacking

An opportunity missed...
that does sound interesting, personally i like the lifepath system i just wish there was more to it but a class system could work in this very well there is so much potential

My first thought about lifepaths was:
- Every path gets its unique vehicle, outfit and whole prolog (start game to relic mission). Also unique skills and more dialogues... that changes how you play.
i love this idea, we already get a unique car as a nomad(i mean its not the fastest car but its good in every other way) maybe this kinda thing will be added soon, i am disappointed that Nomad is the only lifepath with actual gameplay invovled(sure you walk around in the other 2 but with the Nomad's you drive and shoot)

Bruh I just want the unique life paths to feel unique through out the whole game, not just for the first 30 minutes.
i agree, honestly the unique nomad car does make nomads feel more unique if you actually use the car but meh it should have so much more unique than just a car

Top Bottom