Would you want to live in Geralt's world?

+
Would you want to live in Geralt's world?

Suppose one day you wake up and find three portals in your room.One leads to a typical "Forgotten Realms" universe.One leads to a significantly divergent universe, like, for example, the Elder Scrolls or Planescape.One leads to a gritty, dirty and realistic universe of the Witcher books and game.You can walk through any one of the three and become someone fairly capable, but not godly, on the other side. Perhaps a Skilled Witcher, or a decent (and quick-to-learn) fighter, an up-and-coming talented mage, a well-off merchant, etc.. In other words, you won't be starving in a ditch or getting beaten and pissed upon by everyone who walks by - you'll be someone who can be "destined for great things" or at least can survive comfortably.Which do you choose? Or do you just stay put?

Tough call, between Geralt's world or Forgotten Realms type world....I would say, if I was able to walk through that portal as my usual swordsman or witcher class with a little magic (but not really a magic user, just enough to get by, like a witcher or a swordsman with a "heal thyself" spell), then I'd probably go through pretty quickly.But it would more depend on who I was and what I was... Being a successsful merchant: bleh!!! Staying put in this world..... sometimes I think its harder to succeed here than it is, fighting kikimores, but on the other hand, we have nicities like MODERN DENTISTRY.

Tough choice. I like the northen kingdoms, but i like also Tamriel (the place where the elder scrolls games are being played) and the shivering isles (realm of sheogorath, the daedric prince of madness in the elder scrolls games) The description of the elder scrolls isn't right. Tamriel is just as realistic as the northen kingdoms in the witcher and i think same goes for the forgotten realms.The world of the witcher isn't superior to the others. It's all a fantasy world.

I'd probably go back in time to the witcher's universe I would love to wield a sword I've held a real sword in my hands before and I just felt like cutting off someone's head... Haven't ever held a sword since and I miss the feeling back in ye olde times maybe I could've made a good knight it just felt natural holding a sword.

I think I'd pick the Witcher world portal, being given those particular choices. But are you sure there was no portal to ancient Japan with a possibility of being a samurai? ;D

I'd choose Tamriel, probably. I just love the races there and the different environments. Also, the racism there doesn't seem quite as bad...Of course, I wouldn't like to turn up in the middle of the Oblivion crisis with daedra pouring out all over the place :-/

I think in terms of modern relevance the witcher world is the most prepared. Like the book reviewers say, "Sapkowski tackles modern day issues in his stories." I'd pick that world because it's closest to home, besides where can you find an epic adventure with a dose of comedy? Other settings are always serious.

As I am right now: no, I wouldn't want to live in the Witcherworld. I'm not a very experienced fighter, I remember wielding a real sword [size=7pt]replica[/size] once or twice and I suppose I can't do much beyond waving it like a machete and shouting some rather unconvincing battlecries. I don't seem to have any magical skills as well. If you can't use your blade properly or throw an impressive fireball there isn't much for you to do in Witcherworld, is there?Well, yes, there is...
...but I wouldn't enjoy doing it. Or maye I would, but that's even more frightening.IF, however, I were a muscular individual trained in the fine art of gutting stuff open with a longsword Witcherworld would be my 2nd choice. I'd rather end up there than in any other fantasy world I know (I'm quite fed up with high fantasy). If you're good at what you're doing you can live quite a happy and eventful life in Witcherwolrd. And a very, very long one if you're a mage (old age just doesn't happen to those guys).My 1st choice would be the Galaxy from the Hitchhiker's Guide. I always know where my towel is.

Hmm...not too tough a choice on my end.I'd definitely avoid the worlds with high levels of magic in it (i.e., Forgotten Realms and even Tamriel), as that'd be relatively scary, even if I'd be 'destined for greatness' (come on, one failed save, and poof, you're ash).The Witcher's setting is just right. A bit dark, but still ok. I wouldn't mind the Warhammer Fantasy setting, though. Thing is, I'd rather go into such settings w/ at least an engineer and a chemist. *proceeds to dream of Panzer IVs, Vs, and VIs rolling over cavalry units...*

gotthammer said:
I'd definitely avoid the worlds with high levels of magic in it
Hmmm. I think I'd actively choose one WITH magic in it. I think it's the one thing that would really attract me away from this world!In the Witcher world (what is it called, by the way?) there IS magic but it's feared by most people and only wielded by a few. To me this seems more dangerous/worrying than no magic at all or it being held my many people.In somewhere like Tamriel or the Forgotten Realms magic is a lot more commonplace. I don't think I'd be any good as a full mage, but a couple of spells here and there, some innate ability or even the presence of magic in the world would be fantastic :)

I don't mind magic, per se. It's settings with High levels of magic (namely the Forgotten Realms, where +1 items seem commonplace, archmagi are seemingly about all the time, and either beholders, drow, illithid or other nasties are lurking beneath your city's streets).The Witcher's level of magic is just about ok, IMHO. Warhammer is kinda pushing it (Chaos comes for you! eek!). The setting of A Song of Ice and Fire is also just right, magic-wise (no fireball throwing magi about...just beware of the witch that does that weird stuff with the shadows).How about the steampunk + magic elements of the Iron Kingdoms? That's nice, too.Still, knowing what we know, I guess most of us would like magic, in one form or another, just to break with the pattern of 'normal' life. Then again, thrust into such a world, knowing what we know, wouldn't we bring something from our own knowledge/experience into that setting? Hygiene, for example... ;D

Being an avid LARPer, who goes out and actually fights all weekend a couple times a month, I would love it if I had the opportunity to step through a portal to another world. Given a choice of portals it would be difficult to decide, but I think I would go to Forgotten Realms simply due to the huge variety of races, monster, and options available.

I loved playing The Witcher, but I would not want to live in that dark and dangerous world. Sign me up for the bright and dangerous Forgotten Realms. :)

what is the forgotten realms? lol um either the 2nd or 3rd choice. Witcher world sounds cool cause u can bang lots of chicks lol but the plague sucks hahaha Pokemon world is cool...LOL omg don't mob me plz better than this world at least.but yea witchers ftw

Might read the Guardians of the Flame for a group's experience at being thrust into such a world. [size=6pt]One of them dies very quickly and nastily. [/size]Games are fun, but if it were to become your reality? Bbeing placed in such a world filled with things that can slice, bit, and render you into chunky kibbles is something else entirely. Not to mention the existence of things that can devour your soul, like demons and undead. I think the majority of us finding themselves in such a predicament would become farmers, shopkeepers, and tavern owners. Or be looking like hell for the portal back. Me? I'd take the portal to Forgotten Realms. I know what our world has to offer and am daily getting more fed up with it :p And I'd like to see magic . . . .

When choosing a world to live in, don't ask yourself in which world you would like living as a mighty hero, but rather ask yourself in which world you wouldn't mind living as a lowly peasant. =)And Geralt's world is definitely not on top of my list. =)Of all the fantasy universes - Star Wars, Starcraft or Star Trek ones are the most appealing. Cause you always have the quiet corner of the Galaxy where ya can hide with all the rest of civilian cowards and keep yourself alive =). And have a certain level of comfort. You all really forget that medieval worlds would be hard to live in for a modern man... just cause taking a hot bath wouldn't be something you can do very often. Not even every month. Mass Effect universe would be nice too... but then again... those Reavers thingies bent on destroying EVERY organic being... nah.

DamarStiehl said:
Suppose one day you wake up and find three portals in your room.One leads to a typical "Forgotten Realms" universe.One leads to a significantly divergent universe, like, for example, the Elder Scrolls or Planescape.One leads to a gritty, dirty and realistic universe of the Witcher books and game.You can walk through any one of the three and become someone fairly capable, but not godly, on the other side. Perhaps a Skilled Witcher, or a decent (and quick-to-learn) fighter, an up-and-coming talented mage, a well-off merchant, etc.. In other words, you won't be starving in a ditch or getting beaten and pissed upon by everyone who walks by - you'll be someone who can be "destined for great things" or at least can survive comfortably.Which do you choose? Or do you just stay put?
One thing is certain:I would choose one of the portals. The portal which lead to some kind of 'fantasy' world, where I would be able to have the following description:Title: Baron/Count/Duke/Earl, Gender: Male, Race: Vampire, Reputation: , Class: Illusionist/Mentalist, Weapons of choice: Axe* and shield, Estate: a manor of proper size.... and at the same time not being persecuted, punished or hunted down in any way for being a vampire or for using mental or illusionary magic for my clandestine purposes.*the axe would look something like this:

Top Bottom