Writing a fantasy book series

+
I thought we we're talking about education. I know I was. But it seems that you're not only a poet, you're a good friend as well @Blothulfur. :laughing:

Yes, yes, I'll stop now.

On topic. I have this short story in my head and...well...it's fan fiction. What about IP and all that jazz? I literally know nothing about what I may and may not write as a fan, hence I've refrained from writing it. But would it be okay for me to write such a story or would I need consent? Even if it's for experience and feedback, completely nonprofit? I would also recognise and credit the original creator, obviously, credit where credit is due. What do you say my fellow witchers?

It depends, I suppose. On the publisher mostly. I would say it's a completely legal and long established tradition, but there is always a chance to stumble upon an overzealous publisher that will threaten the shit out of you. Whether he'd have a legal right is another matter entirely. Haven't heard of any such situation, though.

Thanks, I guess I'll leave it alone. The idea was but a nod to a character, nothing else. Maybe I'll use the story in my own universe instead. Without the nod.

By the way, fan fiction is a good way to start adventure with writing. The setting is ready, the world is built and rules are set, so one only has to focus on the story. Just saying :)

Pretty well maintained list of authors who encourage, tolerate, dislike, or sue fan-fiction writers:

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Professional_Author_Fanfic_Policies

Anne Rice is probably the best-known and most vocal opponent of fan fiction. Orson Scott Card has sued fan fiction writers in the past, but seems to have mellowed.

Jasper Fforde, a writer's writer if the cliche has any meaning at all, has this to say about fan fiction: "The bottom line is that all creative writing is good, wherever it is, whoever does it, and whatever the subject, and nobody should attempt either consciously or unconsciously to discourage those who wish to express themselves."

Sigged for truth.

Last edited:
Last edited:
@Gilrond Good resources, though I agree the Pixar guide is too rigid. It sounds like a recipe for writing Disney stories, not the kind grownups take their kids to see because they enjoy them themselves, more like the cute insipid baby-behavior releasers that show up on Disney TV.

#3: Trying for theme is important, but you won’t see what the story is actually about til you’re at the end of it. Now rewrite.

#5: Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.

#10: Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.

#11: Putting it on paper lets you start fixing it. If it stays in your head, a perfect idea, you’ll never share it with anyone.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. And learn to kill your darlings. You can fall in love with a part of your story that doesn't belong. When you recognize this, kill it. Without mercy.

#1: You admire a character for trying more than for their successes.

#2: You gotta keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be v. different.

#4: Once upon a time there was ___. Every day, ___. One day ___. Because of that, ___. Because of that, ___. Until finally ___.

No, no, no, a thousand times no. It's the stuff bad fairy tales are made from.

Last edited:
Yes, some of the points in Pixar's list actually contradict the idea from the second link. I.e. shaping the character after oneself, which can result in "marysueness" (if anyone missed that see "What is a Mary Sue?").

Last edited:
I wouldn't call them rules, but guidelines. They aren't to limit and constrain, they can simply help to minimize the risk of creating something that no one would like to read. Writing is not a science, after all. What matters is the final result, and it you've reached it via other means than commonly used - kudos to you.

@Guy N'wah : I was not aware there was such a strong opposition to fanfics on the English-speaking market. I stand corrected.

Last edited:
I love how they shred Twilight in that website @Gilrond. My opinion of current teenage urban fantasy couldn't be any lower: they are all "special", snotty little brats and the world bends over to serve them. Not very different from some game companies we know...

Pretty well maintained list of authors who encourage, tolerate, dislike, or sue fan-fiction writers:

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Professional_Author_Fanfic_Policies

Anne Rice is probably the best-known and most vocal opponent of fan fiction. Orson Scott Card has sued fan fiction writers in the past, but seems to have mellowed.

Jasper Fforde, a writer's writer if the cliche has any meaning at all, has this to say about fan fiction: "The bottom line is that all creative writing is good, wherever it is, whoever does it, and whatever the subject, and nobody should attempt either consciously or unconsciously to discourage those who wish to express themselves."

Sigged for truth.

Great list, I really had no idea. :laughing: I don't know to which camp I would rally if(when? ::)) something I've written is published. I think I see fair points of both sides. Interesting though that so many successful authors promote fan fiction. My favourites on the pro side:

"Gaiman, Neil. The Sandman, Good Omens, Neverwhere, American Gods and many other books. Openly allows fanfiction "because fan fiction is fan fiction. I don't believe I'll lose my rights to my characters and books if I allow/fail to prevent/turn a blind eye to people writing say Neverwhere fiction, as long as those people aren't, say, trying to sell books with my characters in."[SUP][40][/SUP] And, "As long as people aren't commercially exploiting characters I've created, and are doing it for each other, I don't see that there's any harm in [fan fiction], and given how much people enjoy it, it's obviously doing some good. It doesn't bother me." [SUP][41][/SUP]

Pratchett, Terry. Good Omens, Discworld books. "I don't actually object to fan fiction, which by its very nature uses copyrighted and trademarked material, provided that it's put somewhere where I don't trip over it, ... isn't done for money, and isn't passed off as 'official' in any way. I can't really object to people writing their own DW scenarios, etc, for other gamers -- the problems would only begin if they got too proprietorial about them."[SUP][85][/SUP]

Lewis, C. S. The Chronicles of Narnia, The Space Trilogy. Wrote in a letter to a young fan, "I am delighted to hear that you liked the Narnian books. There is a map at the end of some of them in some editions. But why not do one yourself! And why not write stories for yourself to fill up the gaps in Narnian history? I’ve left you plenty of hints – especially where Lucy and the Unicorn are talking...I feel I have done all I can!" [SUP][69[/SUP]

That last one you just have to love. ^_^

Last edited:
I love how they shred Twilight in that website @Gilrond. My opinion of current teenage urban fantasy couldn't be any lower: they are all "special", snotty little brats and the world bends over to serve them. Not very different from some game companies we know...

Yes, quality of many of these recent urban fantasy works is quite low. I'm not sure whether it's because people don't want anything better and authors just write such "pulp fiction" to oblige (to sell more), or because those authors can't write better. What personally surprises me though, is not the big amount of poor works, but their often high popularity.

Last edited:
At the risk of splitting hairs too finely, there is a genre often confused with "urban fantasy", called by some "paranormal romance". I think it's actually the latter that enjoys success without the accompanying literary merit. This is consistent with, and prolongs, the longstanding success of bodice-rippers and similar romantic fantasies.

"If the romance... were removed, would the plot still stand as a viable storyline?" [Jeannie Holmes (Blood Law, Blood Secrets)]

I'm fascinated with the concept of urban fantasy - bringing folklore and magic to modern times, but I don't like the mainstream examples, such as Twilight, Harry Potter, True Blood, Underworld, etc. At best it seems all style and no substance or just plain smarmy. If anyone can recommend something in the genre worth reading I'd love to hear it.

OK, hesitant here because I don't know if you'd like them or not, but the two modern-setting Tanya Huff series - The "Keeper" one starting with Summon the Keeper, and the "Blood" one starting with Blood Price. The former is standard fantasy, the latter is vampire.

What comes first to mind are both "Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption" and "Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines" games. Their core quality is of course in elaborate settings of the the World of Darkness they are based on. There are other (non gaming) works based on the WoD. A while ago there were film series called "Kindred - the Embraced" which partially adopted the settings (but not fully). They were a decent attempt. There are also various fiction books based on the same, but I actually didn't read any so far.

Nothing of the type of Twilight / True Blood and Co. comes even close to WoD. I think Underworld can be considered to be inspired by WoD but it doesn't live up to it.

Last edited:
So, I'm not sure if anyone is still writing or thinking about writing a book after THAT trailer (right now I'm listening to the main theme non stop). :)

But I've found a series of videos about writing on youtube and they're probably the best among some cr*** videos discussing the subject.

Here's the first one, so to speak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkGdgZkSVhA

Mr. Gébler gives some great advice. Also Declan and the blonde lady (who speaks ultra fast, but gives really nice tips).
I got to know what I was doing wrong (writing only when I'm "inspired") and what I'm doing right.

I'm trying to write everyday after work and before I take my son at school. I didn't think a routine was necessary but it is. I guess even Bukowski or Fante had some sort of routine to write. Hope it helps anyone here, it helped me a lot.

I'm back :)

Ok sorry for not replaying at all on that subject, I was on vacation.
For some reason i wasn't receiving any emails telling me that someone replaying to this subject, so i assumed this subject died, therefore today i had to read around 3 pages of what i have missed from this thread...
Anyway, back to the subject, i don't remember who suggested me that (inside this thread) after a while i decided to change perspective to the book, i'm kinda changing it to "gods' " perspective, and no not the god in the religions.
Today i finally wrote a prologue to the book to begin with, i will share this in few days from now, because i need to read it all over and realize some dumb moments.
I don't know why, but seeing from the human perspective seems to be generic, weak, I decided to go on the judgmental way, to show the weakness of humans, psychologically speaking, how they are controlled, and how to bring someone to the correct path.
Anyway, will post the prologue soon, which is funny for 8 paged (if considering 300 words on each page- some research), 4 pages on word.
Even though many of you probably hyped about the E3 trailer of the witcher (so do I), but it's good to be back. :victory:

Ok sorry for not replaying at all on that subject, I was on vacation.
For some reason i wasn't receiving any emails telling me that someone replaying to this subject, so i assumed this subject died, therefore today i had to read around 3 pages of what i have missed from this thread...
Anyway, back to the subject, i don't remember who suggested me that (inside this thread) after a while i decided to change perspective to the book, i'm kinda changing it to "gods' " perspective, and no not the god in the religions.
Today i finally wrote a prologue to the book to begin with, i will share this in few days from now, because i need to read it all over and realize some dumb moments.
I don't know why, but seeing from the human perspective seems to be generic, weak, I decided to go on the judgmental way, to show the weakness of humans, psychologically speaking, how they are controlled, and how to bring someone to the correct path.
Anyway, will post the prologue soon, which is funny for 8 paged (if considering 300 words on each page- some research), 4 pages on word.
Even though many of you probably hyped about the E3 trailer of the witcher (so do I), but it's good to be back. :victory:

Actually going to post the two perspectives, chapter 1 of the human perspective and the prologue of the gods' perspective, and you if you can tell me which one is better, and i shall use the perspective that you chose for the rest of the chapters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom