Writing a fantasy book series

+
I agree with you, of course, but i have something to add: good writing skills does not only mean the way the writer express something. It's the plot too, the way he builds up the story. And this can't be ruined by the translation.

I can't express myself well in English, but i 'll try:

You make me see every image while i read this, which is what counts in such a small piece. At the first paragraph though, i think you were a bit hasty. Too many images in a few seconds. The mind doesn't have the time to adjust, your text does not have the space to breath.
Here "She knew where she was now and she walked for a long time within those corridors until she found the creature." you gave us your best card too soon, too easy. Let us walk a bit longer in the labyrinth, let us feel her fear or amazement. Not in too many words, just a line or two

The next paragraph is way better. You 're not hasty there, you *are* in the scene. I, as a reader, am too. I see his eyes, his axe, i can hear the sound his hooves make... Her feelings are strange, i thought "she is calm?", which is a good thing for what you were doing there. Well done

Don't stop writing. I once read a full-time writer's article (some can be very helpful). She was saying "write; write for your life". I understand that. If i stop writing for very long (a month is very long time) i start feeling worse and worse. When i write i am well. It's so simple.

Thank you for your remarks, Cassandra. I agree with the "too many images in a few seconds".
And you're right about this need to write. It actually exists. Well, it's not very good when it's not accompanied by a great literary talent, which is my case, but it's ok. I'm enjoying this little world I'm creating. Somehow I just need it to be created and that's ok I think.

@tiadelamare
Good start :)

I'll take the liberty of pulling apart one of your sentences, just to show what Volsung meant about saying more with fewer words.

"An eagle seemed to be cutting the gray sky, in which there were red fissures that sometimes would hid behind dark and heavy clouds."

Great image. Now see what it looks like, if we cut the count in half or so. I'm going to think out loud for a while. Skip ahead to the end if you want to see what came of doing so.

"Seemed to" is good if you are in the way of setting up something that could be an illusion, and the question "is it an illusion?" is an important one. But I don't think that's what you're after. You're after an image that is as real as can be, at the time your character sees it. If you cut the "seemed to", you get a twofer: you can get rid of the progressive verb "be cutting". Maybe some writers can use progressive verbs with power. I can't, I hate them, I avoid them at all costs. (You notice, I also don't give a damn for the rule that says "no comma splices".)

Change that first phrase to "An eagle cut the gray sky", then see what that's done for us. Read it out loud. Good writing sounds good when you speak it and hear it. "An EA-gle CUT/the GRAY SKY". It's a start, anyway. It flows, the accents fall on the power words, but you can tell there's a hard break with spit coming out at "cut the". Maybe we want that; it makes "cut" strong. Or maybe we can do something different.

This is what a "thesaurus" is for. English is a hybrid tongue, and it has many words that mean almost the same thing. Shakespeare exploited the hell out of this. There's a good thesaurus for American online at http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/ Look up "cut", and select "cut (verb)". The first definition is the sense we want.

Seeing these, I realize that I'd better look closely at just how that eagle is flying. Gash, incise, rip? I don't think so. Shear? Maybe. Let's hold on to "sheared". Slash? No, the way a falcon flies would slash the sky. But not an eagle. Slice? That's what I was thinking when I started, but "sliced", which ends in a hard "d", almost a "t", scans more poorly than "cut": too long, same break, but the stretched-out word before the break is now weaker. Slit, saw, cleave, rive, now we're getting silly. But "sheared" is not a bad start. Now we have "An eagle cut the sky" and "an eagle sheared the sky". Keep them both; see how they fit with the rest of the sentence.

"In which there were red fissures". Six words, four of them are glue. The "red fissures" are important. The rest of them make the sentence well constructed -- if you're writing a business letter or a technical brief -- but you're not. Let's see if we can glue the red fissures to the eagle's sky with one word. English does this with relative pronouns: who, that, which, when, where (there are others; don't ask me if I care, because I don't). So "where red fissures". Not bad; the word count is down to three, and it has two more "r" sounds echoing the crucial "r" of "red".

Here's a point where you have to observe grammar, or you'll confuse your reader. A relative pronoun like "where" introduces a dependent clause, and dependent clauses can be "restrictive" or not. This is not restrictive: we're describing a sky that is all red fissures hiding behind clouds, that an eagle shears with its wings. A comma indicates that the dependent clause is not restrictive. "An eagle sheared the sky, where red fissures..." As a bonus, we can now make a decision between "cut" and "sheared". "Where red fissures" has many "r" and "sh" sounds, as does "sheared". So we'll go with "sheared", unless something else tells us not to.

The red fissures are hidden behind clouds. "Sometimes would hide" is awkward, though. It's a verb phrase in the conditional tense: while not so helplessly weak as the progressive, it still expresses no immediacy. This is a vivid scene that impresses itself immediately on the reader's eye; there's no room for a conditional, or a word "sometimes" that's as long as any two other words in the sentence. Here we are going to have to look further for a different way to convey that image. But in so doing, we don't want to lose "sheared the sky, where red fissures".

A simple answer is, go back to the "cut" metaphor from the start of the sentence. The eagle's wings "cut" the sky; the red fissures "cut" the clouds, and if you look ahead toward the end of the narrative, there's a "cut" coming up. And we have a supply of synonyms for "cut" on hand. How about "slashed"? Maybe we're about to overdo the alliteration, but we have another "sh", and an "sl" to go with the "cl" of "clouds". "Where red fissures slashed (the something) clouds".

How shall we describe the clouds? "Dark" and "gray" are very descriptive of clouds. But unless they're fluffy My Little Pony cumulus clouds or wispy up where the spy planes fly cirrus clouds, clouds are mostly dark and gray already. If this is an "apocalyptic" sky, it's going to be around sunset or sunrise, and it's going to look something like this:

Those clouds are, well, black, and they're also (big word ahead) portentous. Your description should create an image that stays with the reader all the way to your climax. I've got patience for just one stab at this, so I'm going to say night is coming, and when night comes poetically, it "falls". "Black clouds of night". "Black clouds of falling night." "Black clouds of fast-falling night", if we want to go full Homeric mode. "Black clouds of the night to come". Too many words, my dear Guy, too many words. If it's night, of course they're black.

Now put the whole thing together, run it up the flagpole, and see if anybody salutes.

"An eagle sheared the sky, where red fissures slashed the clouds of falling night."

Cut the word count from 24 to 14, cut the syllable count from 30 to 17, cut the glue words from at least 11 to 5. Almost every word is alliterative and at least somewhat suitable, and it reads without bouncing like a Jeep on a washed-out road. It should at least win a Bulwer-Lytton prize for worst opening sentence of a novel :)

Keep writing. Don't let my nitpicking or bad example discourage you.

Well... what can I possibly answer? Thank you. Your comment was an English and a Literature lesson.

Portuguese is not far behind, but English is really a rich Language.
Regards!

Ok, I'm doing this again, sorry.

Thank you very much for your remarks, Darcler. I'll keep this in mind:

The rhythm is very important when telling a story, and a thing that's often omitted, But it's one of main reasons why in some books you read and re-read whole sections just to understand what the author has written.

I liked it, I know that's not very helpful but I think it conjures a nice dramatic dreamscape. I'm constantly trying to improve me English myself as I had no real formal education, too much time wagging or working instead of learning, but i'm getting better gradually. It does get easier.

Last edited:
Portuguese is not far behind, but English is really a rich Language.
I relate to the appreciation of English. Hebrew sucks for modern fantasy writing. It just turns out far too poetic, and it's jarring when the story is about a gritty world like ASoIAF, or The Witcher. It makes it all seem stiff.

I relate to the appreciation of English. Hebrew sucks for modern fantasy writing. It just turns out far too poetic, and it's jarring when the story is about a gritty world like ASoIAF, or The Witcher. It makes it all seem stiff.

That's the language i was talking about...that's why i decided to write in English in the first place, someone from the same county as i am understands me.

Well, each language has its mannerisms, that's unavoidable. It's apparent not only in words used, but also in how the sentences are constructed. When reading translated text it's often easy to tell from which language it has been translated - assuming the reader is familiar enough with the language.

Fantasy genre as we know it has been effectively created mostly by English writers: Tolkien, Howard, Lewis - to name a few. So English language, as well as English-like imagined, idealized quasi-Medieval reality has become commonly associated with the genre, along with its ideas, names, sounds and images. That does not make other cultures and other languages less fitting for the genre.

Well, each language has its mannerisms, that's unavoidable. It's apparent not only in words used, but also in how the sentences are constructed. When reading translated text it's often easy to tell from which language it has been translated - assuming the reader is familiar enough with the language.

Fantasy genre as we know it has been effectively created mostly by English writers: Tolkien, Howard, Lewis - to name a few. So English language, as well as English-like imagined, idealized quasi-Medieval reality has become commonly associated with the genre, along with its ideas, names, sounds and images. That does not make other cultures and other languages less fitting for the genre.

Yet for some reason I think on English while writing.
I'm narrating myself every word, every sentence, every image, i just can't see anything with my native language, i don't know why.
It doesn't make it wrong, willing to write in English, it's a choice, i chose this way, and by that i'm also improving the language itself, because every language known is a great addition later on, that's my way of practicing, learning and evolving.

I'm not saying your approach is bad, there are writers who had done just that and were just fine (*cough* Joseph Conrad *cough*). But I admit that I'm interested in fantasy that takes from different cultures wherever it can. The genre has the problem of being generally stagnate, reusing the same settings and tropes. Take my nagging as encouragement to experiment with bringing your own culture to your writing :)

I'm not saying your approach is bad, there are writers who had done just that and were just fine (*cough* Joseph Conrad *cough*). But I admit that I'm interested in fantasy that takes from different cultures wherever it can. The genre has the problem of being generally stagnate, reusing the same settings and tropes. Take my nagging as encouragement to experiment with bringing your own culture to your writing :)

Correct me if i'm wrong on that part, can a cultural approach be used on a different language? i know language is one of the keys in it, but culture holds within itself many keys, like symbols, holidays etc...

Guy N'wah:

I just want to stress I'm grateful for your comment. I think my last message wasn't very well written. Yesterday I was half awake. :)
So thank you again for taking the time to actually teach us all I think. :)

Actually I rewrote that part (and other paragraphs) keeping in mind yours and some other good advices I've read here (Volsang, Cassandra, Darcler...). Honestly, there are a lot of good advices here for anyone who wants to write. And it applies to any language, of course.

I liked it, I know that's not very helpful but I think it conjures a nice dramatic dreamscape. I'm constantly trying to improve me English myself as I had no real formal education, too much time wagging or working instead of learning, but i'm getting better gradually. It does get easier.

Hmmm... improving your English? Is it English sarcasm? Because I think your English is just perfect and I have a feeling you're a writer (or should be one). Anyway, thank you for your remark. "It conjures a nice dramatic dreamscape" is a good compliment and means a lot to me. Thank you.
I'm trying to get rid of the clichés and make the text more simple, the scenes less fast, etc. Let's see. :)

Last edited:
@tiadelamare I appreciate your thoughtfulness in answering. I was thinking out loud and just threw everything that came through my mind at you; it turned out to be a lot more detail than I started out to write.

The only person I knew who was anything like Bloth was Utah Phillips. Old railroad man and gifted storyteller. Best known for his monologue Moose Turd Pie. "It is better to be likeable than talented," he said.

Last edited:
Not being sarcastic at all Tia, I didn't have much formal education and I struggle with basic grammar and punctuation, i've just tried to educate myself since then. Thanks for the compliment on me own prose though, but I can see it's fairly clumsy and unwieldy, then again personally I find it nice to write just for the experience.

Correct me if i'm wrong on that part, can a cultural approach be used on a different language? i know language is one of the keys in it, but culture holds within itself many keys, like symbols, holidays etc...
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you asking if you could transplant some aspects of, for instance, Hebrew into an English text? Or any other, for that matter?

I just stumbled upon this thread. I suspected, but had no idea, I had fellow writers on this forum. It's very nice to have this confirmed. Thank you all, for in helping OP, you have helped me as well. Let's see if I dare to post anything here. Maybe I will, as good advice is beyond priceless. :happy:

Ugh, why does all come down to money? Short stories are way better place to start as a writer that a big novel. Craftsmanship first, and perhaps a hobby can someday become a profession.

Admittedly there are lots of writers that earn shitload of money despite the fact they don't know a thing about writing...

Every art form has its share of successful hacks.

OT: Starting out with the short story format is deceiving as every word and thought count for much more than in a novel, and plots are surprisingly difficult to craft. You have almost no wiggle room, so to speak. But it's also a less daunting task. I've done a bit of short story writing myself. Here's how I went about it: Got drunk. Started writing. When that didn't work, I joined a local writing group of just 3 people ( small groups are better). We met once every two weeks to share and critique our efforts, keeping the content to a minimum - a few pages at most. As for personal tips, I can't stress two things enough: free form writing and finishing. The former entails letting your mind go blank and then following wherever it takes you, even if it results in gibberish at times. Finishing is more difficult. It requires accepting the faults your story may have and moving on. Simply arriving at the end of a project as many times as you can bolsters a person's confidence.

Last edited:
OT: Starting out with the short story format is deceiving as every word and thought count for much more than in a novel, and plots are surprisingly difficult to craft. You have almost no wiggle room, so to speak.
That is indeed true, but still maintaining control over short story is much easier than in case of a novel. Sheer scope and scale make it more manageable, which is exactly why I recommend starting from short stories, and then, after gaining some experience, moving to larger forms.

Still, both short stories and novels follow the same creative process. With short stories, because of their relatively small size, it's that much harder to explain things, especially when setting the story in an imagined reality with its own rules and quirks. But it also teaches the sort of minimalism required by any competent writer, to respect each word and assess things on the merit of their value to the story. It forces the writer to deal without pointless dialogues, overly abundant descriptions, or even whole scenes that bring too little to justify keeping them in the story.

In some ways writing a short story can indeed look to be harder than writing a novel, but a well-written novel has to abide by the same standards as a short story. There is no room for waffling in neither of the formats.

Last edited:
Not being sarcastic at all Tia, I didn't have much formal education and I struggle with basic grammar and punctuation, i've just tried to educate myself since then. Thanks for the compliment on me own prose though, but I can see it's fairly clumsy and unwieldy, then again personally I find it nice to write just for the experience.

The fact that you didn't have much formal education surprises me. You're great. :)

Now stop right there! I'm a horrible ugly bastard with a bad attitude and a loose affiliation with morality, i'm not great at anything except trying to kill my liver! So there.

Now stop right there! I'm a horrible ugly bastard with a bad attitude and a loose affiliation with morality, i'm not great at anything except trying to kill my liver! So there.

"I'm not great at anything except trying to kill my liver" is a good line..

And maybe you have all these flaws. But somehow they make you so cool. Sorry, Bloth, they do. :)

But forgive me if I'm being too "lightly" (I'm not sure if that's the better word).
Well, if I am being too frivolous... here, a hug.

I'd write a few more things but I better stop right now. I've written enough weird things in this Forum.
I'll only say you're as great as anyone, just like you wrote me in that threat, when I was down.
Yes, I'll leave it like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom