Wrong build, too bad apparently

+
So I decided to do the second boxing match at level 48.
Well even though hard is somewhat challenging it is a near impossibility in this mission.
because I didn't spec into strength I am basically locked out of this quest.
talk about terrible quest design.
I cannot think of single other quest this poorly implemented.
What is the point of making a quest that only caters to one type of build?

Honsetly, as soon as you get the chat with the trainer right at the games beginning you can think of the skills you may need if you wanna follow that questline - what did you expect to happen fight after fight? That itll turn out to a shooting duel?

Im not sure if they help you since I never used em, but what about gorilla arms, are they a help here? Plus knowing each enemies routine when they strike how and when you have to land a series or a hook to get em iced is essential.

Im not sure if they help you since I never used em, but what about gorilla arms, are they a help here? Plus knowing each enemies routine when they strike how and when you have to land a series or a hook to get em iced is essential.

gorilla arms are disabled for these fist fights... but mastering the movement is vital, as well as picking up the reflex boosting cyberware.

gorilla arms are disabled for these fist fights... but mastering the movement is vital, as well as picking up the reflex boosting cyberware.

no theyre not, and they actually make these quests trivial even on very hard. i had no idea during the first playthrough tho, and it was a chore, it was like progressing Dark souls bosses, hahaha. i managed to beat all the boxing quests without them in the end tho, except for the finals, i dont think it can even be done (or maybe it can, but fuck it xD), since the fight takes place in classic boxing ring with no room to maneuver. anyway the gorilla arms make it really easy, you have really good damage even without single point/perk in Body and you can actually block and parry for a change.

No they don't. I'm fighting the second guy and he's one shoting me even when I'm blocking. I have a 3 in body.
Each attack does like maybe 2% of his total life bar. I basically have to win this fight not getting hit even once with gorilla arms. Oh and I have legendary. But I don't have legendary mods. I don't even know where to find them.

Played on very hard with 7 points in body and no gorilla arms, had legendary quick hack short circuit, and double jump cyberware (which trivializes most fights when you just jump over the enemy attacks). Last fight was also doable but you had to keep close to him and dodge his attacks while allways hitting him with strong atack. So no youre not locked in anyway.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure they are not. I did the first two fights on VH with a 6 body/6 reflex character and almost no perks in either (couple in handguns) without using them and it took forever for each. Under these conditions the fighters will 1-2 shot you with a hit, blocking is unreliable because it doesn't stop damage getting through (even on a perfect block), and hitting them does almost no damage. For the others I specifically equipped Gorilla arms and the special damage appears to add oomph to your hits. Perhaps this is tied to modifying the damage type.

Yes, I spent an hour and a half beating on the Twins/Buck over and over without getting hit more than once while relying entirely on dodges to avoid damage :).

All fist fighters cycle static scripted sequences. A dodge sequence, a couple different 4x attack sequences, and at least one 1x attack sequence. Which one they use at any given time depends on a couple variables (not completely sure what they are). It's easy to see this when they enter their dodge sequence. It's slightly amusing.

I found Cesar and Razor to be the easiest fights (and the clown). The reason is based on your positioning you can largely force them to use a single attack sequence. By getting in and beating their ass after they miss then backing out to recover stamina. Cesar does his warpy thing but as long as you get the timing on dodges down it's relatively consistent. Razor is quite fast for such a big boy but it's the same deal. You also have to get used to the limited space available in the ring there.

For the other fights I switched my game to easy mode because the mechanics/behavior all fights reach new heights of jankyness. The hitboxes are dumb, the way perfect blocks don't stop damage is questionable and the fighters "fight" like morons. It just didn't seem worth it to spend more time than necessary.

Sadly, I don't believe you can murder the fist fighters after beating them because they have plot armor. I admit I dumped half a dozen clips into the body of Buck after beating him. He's immortal. The Twins and Cesar are the only fighters I didn't want to murder after beating them :). The rest are assholes and can go drown in a bucket of bleach.

Sometimes the fighters will magically heal to ~60% health from 10%. They can do it several times in one fight too. I don't know what triggers this but it didn't feel intended. There are random boxes/debris/the ladder vs Rhino thrown around where you can get stuck. I have no idea why. It's also interesting how you can kind of map out their behavior and "solve" them. You could do the same thing for various creatures in TW3 (Drowners are one of the best examples).

Oh, and prepare yourself for disappointment for completing all the fights. The end of that whole line of quests it's just... bleh. It's a bit of a spectacle and there are a couple conversations but otherwise it was a huge let down.

Apologies for the wall of text. I figured I'd be thorough (suffer the might of my text wall, forums).

No they don't. I'm fighting the second guy and he's one shoting me even when I'm blocking. I have a 3 in body.
Each attack does like maybe 2% of his total life bar. I basically have to win this fight not getting hit even once with gorilla arms. Oh and I have legendary. But I don't have legendary mods. I don't even know where to find them.
well, theres something wrong on your end then, because you're not supposed to take any damage while blocking or parrying with gorilla arms. anyway, you can do it without blocking too, the guy is predictable and you can stagger him when hes charging, using strong attack
Post automatically merged:

Last fight was also doable but you had to keep close to him and dodge his attacks while allways hitting him with strong atack. So no youre not locked in anyway.
yea i realize you can stagger him when he charges at you, but i found it too unconsistent, it happened to me several times, that it didnt cancel the animation despite hiting him, frustrating as fuck, since one shot is all he needs. i believe it doable this way, i just dont have the patience to do it.
Post automatically merged:

Sometimes the fighters will magically heal to ~60% health from 10%.
i believe thats because of Biomonitor.

Last edited:
Well even though hard is somewhat challenging it is a near impossibility in this mission.
The boxing quests are stronger than all the boss fights in the game. That's why they are dumb.

So basically what you're saying is you actually have to invest in being a 'fighter' in order to beat the best 'fighters'.
sounds like one of them actual rare RPG moments this game has.

Topics like these become funnier every time. On one end we complain about it not being an RPG (in that sense) but at the other end we want to beat everything regardless of what we build ourselves to be...

So basically what you're saying is you actually have to invest in being a 'fighter' in order to beat the best 'fighters'.
sounds like one of them actual rare RPG moments this game has.

Topics like these become funnier every time. On one end we complain about it not being an RPG (in that sense) but at the other end we want to beat everything regardless of what we build ourselves to be...
I think the problem is the inconsistancy with the game that pisses people off. Because if you could reroll your characters stat at any time. They could make X require build. But you can't. So you end up getting this problem. They are harder than the bosses in the whole game. They should be the bosses.

I personally never blocked or dodged in this mini game...In fact, that's kind of the problem with it.
The way CDPR designed it, V has zero HP, going down in 2 swings while her opponents has a million. For this reason, you don't really want to block, let alone parry because the risk reward is way too detrimental on your side.

As a result, the best way to handle those fight is to...Well, take the boring route and just dodge constantly while squeezing attacks here and there. Just make sure you manage your stamina properly, that's all there is here.

Also, as mentioned, Gorilla arms can and should be used (I mean, you can prevail even without them but it's gonna take forever and become even more boring).

i believe thats because of Biomonitor.
Which is ironic considering this Cyberware doesn't work properly for the player (if at all).
Just like second heart, I took it and tested it for a very long time but it never trigger a single time.

Game developers love to lead you astray and attempt to make the game harder for you, or preferably to lengthen the game even further knowing you'd probably do another play-through if you made a bad decision.

thats weird, second heart works normally for me. biomonitor doesnt tho :p
Oh, hold on.
I think I'm realizing something.

Let's ask a question and spoiler for the final boss of the game, so, hopefully, you got that far.

Are you supposed to be invincible and "resurrect" while fighting Adam smasher?

Because now I think of it, I'm not even sure I ever got to 0 HP since I replaced Biomonitor for second heart but the final boss was so tanky that I kinda rushed it at one point and got killed...but then I came back to life and though it was a mechanic (so, essentially you would be invincible during this fight, specifically) but could it be second heart? I even forgot it was a thing until I saw this topic, to be honest.

If so, then it works for me too but for my defense, it's been so long since I equipped it that I kinda subconsciently assumed that it didn't work (that belief was kinda backed up by the fact that, Biomonitor, as you confirmed, doesn't work, and that part, I'm 100% sure)...Therefore, I would be an idiot but an idiot who didn't die since forever so...I don't know what to make of that lol

Installing Arm cyberware breaks a lot of other cyberware (almost all the regen and resuscitation cyberware as well as the thermoptic camo)

As for gorilla arms, the one build I actually used em on, they never worked on the fisticuffs missions.
Might be an issue on my end, might be a bug in the boxing bit (like you're not actually supposed to be able to use em, and I'm just unlucky enough for that to be working on my rig)

In case you can't use gorilla arms, you can still drop a blunt weapon in the ring before the fight, and pick it up (use equip, since you can't rotate equipment) as soon as the fight starts.

I beat the fights because of AI. First fight, I found out they turn significantly more passive if you stand with your back to the crowd in the entrance corner. In a later fight, the AI stopped attacking entirely. Just took forever to bring him down.

Potential is there mechanically to vastly surpass Witcher 3, but as is, yeah... I have to agree the implementation here is stupid.

I think the problem is the inconsistancy with the game that pisses people off. Because if you could reroll your characters stat at any time. They could make X require build. But you can't. So you end up getting this problem. They are harder than the bosses in the whole game. They should be the bosses.
The only real issue I see in it is that the actual story bosses are ants compared to these fights.
If rerolling was a thing in this game though, I think thats far worse.
Becasue whats the point inmaking any choice if you can just delete and restart on the fly.

Top Bottom