WTF? Since When Removing Upgrades DESTROYS Runes and Glyphs?

+
WTF? Since When Removing Upgrades DESTROYS Runes and Glyphs?

I've been removing upgrades and placing them on new items since V1.0, so to speak. (I can't remember what version was installed when I first installed TW3 from my physical DVD copy of the game, but I still needed a patch to "authenticate" it, in May last year)

Who was the bright mind behind having them destroyed in B&W? They were automatically transferred when upgrading Witcher Gear and now Grandmaster is not an upgrade but a whole new set and I cannot use the Greater Runes and Glyphs I worked so hard to craft through over 400 hours in this latest NG->NG+ playthrough? Am I mistaken? Were they always destroyed when removed from items at a Blacksmith? I probably have lots of Greater ones in my chest, being a manic OCD loot grabber, so I can place new ones on the Grandmaster set after reloading and not removing the ones from my Legendary Set but honestly, for all I can remember I have been removing them and upgrading them and placing them in new items before I crafted my first set in this combo playthrough and having them destroyed... it should not be named "remove upgrades" but "destroy upgrades" instead! Bah!

/Rage mode off
=))

Not sure 'cause I can't remember anymore and I haven't been paying that much attention, but I think it has always been that if you dismantle item, you can get runes back. If you remove runes, they are destroyed. I'm sure about that removing part. Not sure though when I tried it, but it was maybe two or three patches ago.

And yeah, if you upgraded Witcher gear, runes were transferred to new ones. I mostly used previously unused gears in BAW, so I don't know how runes and upgrades work there.

It gets worse... I have 4 slots in my Mastercrafted Legendary Trousers and only two in the Grandmaster Legendary, for a small armor bonus. The rest of the set has the same slot numbers. 2 in Gloves/Boots and 3 in the Armor. And I have 23 Greater Igni in my stash but no Greater Quen. I use 5 Igni and 6 Quen in my Wolven set. AND @Dragonbird black wolven set mod doesn't work on the Grandmaster, of course, since it is not an upgrade of the Legendary Mastercrafted.

Why could they make Legendary Set up to Mastercrafted as an UPGRADE of the Wolven set (and all witcher school sets) from NG when introducing NG+ but couldn't do it as upgrade in B&W? Different Lead Project Director? Even so, there should have been some common sense in using the same design structure for the expansion. Plus, Grandmaster should require Legendary Mastercrafted as a crafting component like before.

I didn't want to leave Toussaint area before exploring it all, specially not to buy and craft runes or enchant new items with the guy from HoS but that's the only way to get it, IF I decide to use the set. Which I'm really uninterested in using now. The runes for the swords I have in piles but would need to go back to HoS area to enchant one of the swords, which should transfer to the Grandmaster too, if the Set Swords were an upgrade of the Legendary Mastercrafted.

Perhaps you're right, @Sunsibar and the upgrades are returned only if the items are salvaged. I really don't want to salvage my Legendary Mastercrafted Set to get the Glyphs from it though. I worked hard for it and destroying the set which has better slots than the allegedly improved one, would make me regret it and feel silly.

It clearly says "Item must be UPGRADED to Grandmaster level to unlock Bonuses". But there is no upgrade. Grandmaster is crafted without any part of the previous Set items! I spend some 50k gold to craft it. I'll have it placed in the display case at Corvo Bianco. That's the only use for them! I'm a filthy rich witcher which had over 240k gold before starting B&W. I'll recover it fast enough, no doubt. =))

Attachments

• TW3 BAW Inventory.jpg
    TW3 BAW Inventory.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 958
Last edited:
yeah.. it doesn't make sense removing upgrades destroys the runes and glyphs.. but dismantling the saves the runes and glyphs.. :eredinfacepalm:

Removing upgrades, you can either save your armor, or save the runes/glyphs. You can't save both. Always been like that.

Yep. It's a system that forces you to choose between what you keep and what you lose -- pretty standard system ever since the gems / sockets in Diablo.

Yep. It's a system that forces you to choose between what you keep and what you lose -- pretty standard system ever since the gems / sockets in Diablo.

You can't really compare TW3 with Diablo 3 - Especially with all the improvements in the set , gems, sockets, upgrades system they have. And a stash with 6 Tabs! The gems are not destroyed since D2, long ago. We just remove them at the Jewelry table. Plus, we can change one property of any item at the Enchant table! And the bonuses are awesome. Hardcore rulez forever! TW3 is a better game tho, totally different genre. RPG to the core. Emulating Diablo set bonus and very poorly at that does not add anything to my favorite game ever (TW3 just to make it clear). And I love Diablo since the pre-release Demo of Dec/1996! (screenshot from 1 min ago) I quit the season to play BAW! After 1550 hrs with TW3 and 7 months waiting for it, I didn't even blinked before leaving D3, even having an awesome hardcore character, only one I created for the season while lots of friends died and had to recreate all the time... lol.. err.. I mean, that's sad)

Attachments

• Screenshot005.jpg
    Screenshot005.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

The system itself is okay, but just do not call it "Remove" then, but rather "Destroy".

The grandmaster wolven set is the only one that doesn't require the master crafted variant to craft. Maybe this was done so players who chose to start a new game in Blood and Wine could use some grandmaster gear. Feline, Griffin, and Ursine grand master sets all require the master crafted sets to craft.

And the remove upgrade/dismantle weapon has always been a trade off system between saving your weapons and saving your runes.

As far as your issue with the legendary variant, it sounds like a bug or oversight. I've never played NG+ so I can't really comment on it.

The grandmaster wolven set is the only one that doesn't require the master crafted variant to craft. Maybe this was done so players who chose to start a new game in Blood and Wine could use some grandmaster gear. Feline, Griffin, and Ursine grand master sets all require the master crafted sets to craft.

And the remove upgrade/dismantle weapon has always been a trade off system between saving your weapons and saving your runes.

As far as your issue with the legendary variant, it sounds like a bug or oversight. I've never played NG+ so I can't really comment on it.

Since always actually..

That is just plain cheating, in a way and a real screw up for a Legendary Mastercrafted Wolven Set user. Grandmaster Legendary should be an UPGRADE not an independent set and with fewer slots than the Legendary Mastercrafted.

@CapitanDave yes, you're right. I remember now. I just salvaged the items to recover the runes and glyphs before I could craft the first set in NG, which then transfer the runes and glyphs to every upgrade. An honest mistake considering I started my current NG/NG+ over 400 hours and 7 months ago. Which does not justify that Grandmaster Legendary not requiring Legendary Mastercrafted Wolven set to be crafted and therefore, does not transfer the runes and glyphs to the new crafted set.

The exception of Grandmaster Wolven gear being a standalone set might be due to that basic gears are from dlc(though admittedly a free one) so not everybody would have the master level set for upgrading.

Top Bottom