X1 performance on 1.12

+

iCake

Forum veteran
X1 performance on 1.12

Just fired up my game with 1.12 installed and made a quick run around Novigraad. What must I say... The performance is still as crappy as it's been since 1.10, if not worse...

To CDPR, this is the biggest let down I could have possibly gotten from you. I was patiently waiting 3 months for this patch to come out so that I could finally enjoy this game once more. I actually had my hopes up since you managed to fix the bad framerate on X1 caused by 1.07 with a follow-up patch. This is a different story now, unfortunately.

Very disappointed.

Last edited:
Hi,
I can't believe they didn't bother to fix xbox one performance.... It was near perfect with 1.08.... Why not just use 1.08 assets...
How a developer can think that downgrade framerate is an improvment??
Let me resume.... we had a nearly locked 30fps in all areas from 1.03 to 1.08 (minus 1.07 which ruined the game but has been fixed with 1.08, and now in Novigrad we are at 20/25fps....
CDPR let me ask you a question: Do you think it's better 30fps or 20/25fps?
So why did you downgrade the framerate??
Xbox one can handle the game, it was the case before 1.10 so WHY????

Just fired up my game with 1.12 installed and made a quick run around Novigraad. What must I say... The performance is still as crappy as it's been since 1.10, if not worse...

To CDPR, this is the biggest let down I could have possible gotten from you. I was patiently waiting 3 months for this patch to come out so that I could finally enjoy this game once more. I actually had my hopes up since you managed to fix the bad framerate on X1 caused by 1.07 with a follow-up patch. This is a different story now, unfortunately.

Very disappointed.

It is sad to hear they didn't optimize anything in 1.12. I really cannot understand why the performance degraded from 1.08 to 1.11/1.12. How come the developers/testers didn't notice this? They should have tested the performance after each patch. They must have at least one real Xbox One console for testing purposes.

The PS4 received its optimalisation so how come CDProjekt doesn't want to optimize the game for Xbox One? It feels like we are treated like low priority customers, but we payed the same price for the product!

Of course the moderators doesn't reply anything to the performance related topics, they just close them.

This is not the way to treat your customers!

The worst part is that the game was perfectly fine... Never seen such a case, where the game ran like a dream then with patches meant to improve it, it's much worse...
So, the game with 1.08 is simply better, smoother andmore beautiful than 1.12...
Shouldn't it be the contrary???
Really it baffles me, and yes as Xbox customers it seems that we are not really important, if it has been the case for ps4 version, every game media, forum, twitter etc would have shout it from rooftops, but Xbox? No one care, CDPR even less...
So you want to play TW3? buy a ps4 or pc... as simple as that!
And we know Xbox one can handle the game perfectly, because it was the case....
No GOTY deserved for xbox version and Cdpr as best dev?? Thx for the joke, the only dev who make its own game worse patch after patch is the dev of the year???
My god, i'm so disapointed, disgusted that i'll stop there, we'll never know, why, but in 30 years of gaming, it's my biggest disapointment...
It's like when you taste something you love, then you put some shit on it, in case it was too good...
What a clusterfuck, really...

Vinthir

CD PROJEKT RED
Do you mean that performance dropped in 1.12 as compared to 1.11? Would you be able to contact us and provide details?

Please include the following in the issue description in your support ticket if possible:

1. The exact place in game where the frame drop occurs and the exact circumstances (e.g. swamps + combat + when casting Igni)
2. Does it appear right away when you load a save game or does it get worse the more time you spend playing the game? If the latter is true what's the approximate time after which the blurs/drops appear.
3. Do frame drops seem to be related to being in a particular phase of a particular quest?
4. Do you use Xbox One's 'Instant on' feature? If yes, could you please turn it off and see if the frame rate is better after a restart of the game?
5. Could you record some video footage of the issue?

I'd like to reiterate that it is more helpful if you send your reports via support form and not paste them here, then we can follow up with each person more easily and additionally we can use the number of tickets for statistical purposes.

iCake

Forum veteran
@Vinthir

With all due respect, how come you need all this info when all you need do is run around Novigraad? Back then you started a thread titled "Xbox One performance research". People there rightfully, if too emotionally but I sure can understand them, pointed out that all of Novigrad is basically unplayable right now.

I just made my way to Novigraad with my current NG+ playthrough. You know what I just quit the game after having been there for about 5 minutes. It's bad all over. It never feels smooth as the countryside does and that's the best I can say about Novigraad now. Most of the time it virtually turns into a near slide show. The picture is choppy and is very hard on your eyes.

I don't think I can put up with it now. I thought I could. That was the reason for this NG+ playthrough. Now this game is in the late stages of support and it sure feels like there'll be no improvement on this issue.

As a customer... What can I say. I just took a few bad notes. The game is awesome, but this let down is disgustingly unfair.

Last edited:
I don't really think we need to get through this all over again. Simply put, the same problems with framerate drops that existed in Novigrad or in any crowded areas are still there. The long loading times, the blurry screen that appears after you are done talking to someone (like a merchant or a blacksmith, for example)...all these issues that appeared on the previous update are still here. I sent a form explaining all the issues that i experienced on the game with the 1.11 patch, about three months ago, i even sent a video to help you guys understand where exactly the framerate drops were happening, but it seems that i did all that in vain...Really disappointed with you CDPR. We waited 3 months for nothing...

Xbox owner here...
If you want to know where are the performances problem, just go to Novigrad or Oxenfurt with 1.08 it was a near locked 30fps, with 1.10, 1.11 and 1.12 in Novigrad and Oxenfurt it dips to 18Fps sometimes!
You want some infos, let's go, here is a video made by Digital Foundry, showed on EUROGAMER via an aricle which tell that on ps4 it's smooth but xbox one framerate took a big hit, and they link this video:
https://youtu.be/FgN859FrBrU
There were several articles which mention xbox one framerate downgrade (Eurogamer and a loooot more), tons of videos and you still ask for some infos? And then you don't understand why we are angry??????
So here is what stated DF in EUROGAMER'S article:

The only real surprise is in how Novigrad City performs with patch 1.10 installed on Xbox One. Much like PS4, there's a downgrade as we follow the same path through the city streets - but in Xbox One's case it's a more stark difference. The drop from patch 1.08 is noticeable; going from a locked 30fps with occasional stutters to sustained performance at 24-26fps. This bears out across multiple re-trials of the same area, using the same in-game time of day and weather state. We have been downgraded - and compared to a fully patched PS4 version, the gap is as wide as 5fps as we canter down the city streets.
It's been 3 months that i give proof of CDPR incompetence with patch, and now u ask again for infos???
It is starting to become a joke, CDPR don't give a fuck, i opened support ticket, i provided videos....
And you are asking for more infos.... it's a known fact that XBOX VERSION had been terrible since 1.10... Check video i provided, read Eurogamer article and you'll understand that TW3 ON XBOX WAS MUCH BETTER TECHNICALLY BEFORE 1.10. It's now unplayable in Novigrad, 18/25 fps is not an IMPROVMENT OVER 28/30FPS WE HAD BEFORE!!
HOW CDPR CAN'T UNDERSTAND THIS AND SEE THIS BY THEMSELVES...
i wonder why i still post here... Certainly i still have hope, but now it's thin like a paper...
And this situation make me so sad, even more when i see cdpr being the dev of the year... how a dev which has ruined its own game via patches can be considered the BEST?

---------- Updated at 08:17 AM ----------

So @Vinthir , I made what you ask (must be 15 times I do it....), I sent to support with videos, link to articles, all infos needed (area, weather etc...)
But, frankly, do you really think it will change anything?

Last edited:
Guys,

As much as I feel for all of you, I must say. Please, try to stay as cool-headed as you can ever be when describing your issues. Insults and offenses are not going to help us. If anything, it'll only cause a chain reaction with the devs and people who are supposed to monitor these forums and pass the issues on to the right people. Please, stay civil here. The last thing we want is getting this thread closed and forgotten.

CDPR and @Vinthir especially,

I think we have more than deserved a clear explanation of why the performance issues reported more than 3 months ago have not been addressed yet. Please, stop acting as if you don't acknowledge the issue, this is the main reason why posts here tend to get heated.

One can't possibly think you can't replicate this on your XBOX's. It's Novigrad wide-spread, it doesn't depend on being on a quest or being in a particular place in the city. It just happens whenever you're there. This is why all this asking where and when it happens sounds as if you're trying to play us for suckers. Really, this is how it looks like right now.

Thanks.

Thx Icake for your great posts and I apologize if i was too harsh... but my god, it drive me crazy...
I feel exactly the same way you feel and @Vinthir, really there are tons of youtube videos, game media article...
I think after 3 months waiting for a fix, we have more than deserved a clear explanation about it. To be honest I did what you ask (provide tickets, send video, etc...) and i'm under the impression that all responses I had where automatic response...
I provided a video in my last ticket and the answer was to ask me to make a video... lol
So, sorry but if people start to be angry, it's only CDPR fault and lack of communication.
Everybody is aware about the problem, but not the dev?? It's a bit hard to swallow...
I hope Vinthir and CDPR can understand.
Once again see the difference between 1.08 and 1.10-1.12 in Novigrad with this video, you even have a frame counter!!!! What more do you need or can we provide for god sake!
https://youtu.be/FgN859FrBrU

Last edited:
Performance issues on our end are done on a different scale. E.g. a dev is trying to address stuff like entity streaming taking 3 milliseconds somewhere etc. Final effects are a combination of many small changes. A game of Wild Hunt's size is a very complex system. There are also other considerations.

Also, while I believe forums' have the potential to provide me with data for testing and statistical analysis for my team, I'm responsible for technical support provided via our ticket system. Which is why I encourage contact via this system.

and i'm under the impression that all responses I had where automatic response...
I provided a video in my last ticket and the answer was to ask me to make a video... lol

Thank you for the info, I will investigate this issue.

So i made a quick video of me walking around Novigrad at night with my torch out.
I'm running the game from an external with a fresh install of the game.
I'm overencumbered, so the camera is closer to the character than it normally would be, which i guess could have an affect on the framerate.

https://youtu.be/AYhf3As0fRM

I didn't have much time, so i didn't do much testing, but i must confess i was pleasently suprised after hearing the game was a "slideshow".

I'll do more testing tonight and i'll post more vids if anyone is interested.
Maybe someone could suggest some stress test areas?

Last edited:
So i made a quick video of me walking around Novigrad at night with my torch out.
I'm running the game from an external with a fresh install of the game.
I'm overencumbered, so the camera is closer to the character than it normally would be, which i guess could have an affect on the framerate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYhfAs0fRM

I didn't have much time, so i didn't do much testing, but i must confess i was pleasently suprised after hearing the game was a "slideshow".

I'll do more testing tonight and i'll post more vids if anyone is interested.
Maybe someone could suggest some stress test areas?

Just walking does not put the image smoothness in perspective. Generally, the less quick, jerky, shaky etc. movements you see on the picture, the less it feels choppy to you. That's why, for example, movies with just 24 fps don't seem choppy. If you want to stress test SPRINT from the fish market to Hierach square and to that posh bordello.

Your link does not lead to any video btw.

Yes, just run inside Novigrad, and you'll realize that where we used to have a 30fps locked, framerate is now all over the place (in Novigrad and Oxenfurt, elsewhere it's fine).
If you're overencumbered, Geralt is so slow that you won't see the dips, lol, unfortunately, I don't want to have to make all the game overencumbered to have a smooth framerate...
Didn't you see all articles and videos which show how massive the downgrade had been framerate wise? from a locked 30fps to 20/25fps, is not a slideshow for some people, but it's worse than 30fps locked, that's a fact, so again, why had we 30fps locked before and now it's all over the place??
@Vinthir, one last question: the fact that CDPR remade assets streaming to have PS4 run correctly, certainly had an impact on xbox... the 1st iteration of the engine was fine for xbox, then they remade it for PS4 to run better, as there's a lot more customers, they prefered took care of them, but unfortunately, the changes they made was Ok for PS4 but a disaster for Xbox, is that possible?

Yeah, dodgy link, sorry about that, have updated my post, so video should work now.
https://youtu.be/AYhf3As0fRM

---------- Updated at 05:41 PM ----------

Okay, i'll run around Novigrad later and post my results.

Last edited:
@emcsq

Pretty much. Don't tell me you're fine with what you have experienced there.

P.S. Spinning the camera doesn't show much because the speed of camera stays the same. But when running...

Top Bottom