Xarthisius/Treason Combo

+
Xarthisius/Treason Combo

At this point in the meta, this combo exists solely for the purpose of pulling a DBP or Spotter out of your opponents deck. It can't play golds, and it's useless in Round 1, because all your choices are the junk that people mulliganed (I literally played it last night and my opponents top 3 cards were all golems). If your opponent is playing SK, he usually uses Bran to shuffle his deck immediately after Xarthisius hits the board, and none of the Wild Hunt/Monster Consume creatures are overly helpful. I guess sometimes you get lucky, and can pull a Skellige Storm or some other useful silver, but it's rare.

So I guess my question is, at the cost of 1 Gold and 1 Silver, with not at all the benefits I was hoping for, can anyone give me a good reason why I should not pull these cards from my deck?

its bad mechanic that almost never pays off, youre wasting a gold and silver to deny your opponent a silver card.... yay, also dbp doesnt work everytime if your opponet has first light

I don't play Xarthisius, the competition for golds is too high although i play Treason, mostly for memes i guess but it makes for some memorable games.
For example i played against a dwarf yesterday and i wish i had recorded the game cause he played RNR against me and i had no clear skies in hand, initially wanted to pass but decided to treason and pulled out a clear skies, it was glorious.
It's not a strong card but can be really fun sometimes.

Treason makes you 'waste' a silver slot for a (most of the time) random Bronze or Silver card. That said, it is actually quite bad if not paired with Xarthisius (which is a 2-card combo that is difficult to execute). I might be wrong, but I believe the original design was to also pull Gold cards which would have been way more interesting and probably less broken than people thought (without actually testing it).

Yeah, I'm not complaining because NG is super good right now, but Treason is easily the worst silver in the faction. The Xarth combo is literally the only way to make it remotely viable and even then it's barely playable. A massive investment for minimal return and requiring two specific cards.

I guess it could be useful if you are going for a mill archetype, in which case you probably wouldn't even have Xarthusius in your deck.

I want to love the combo, but haven't been able to do great things with it, so far.

I feel like Assire var Anahid , Treason and Xarthisius keep missing the memo "You are supposed to work together.

In closed beta Assire ability was to shuffle opponents cards back into their deck. Just about every NG player laughed at this card and nobody played her. Now she shuffles cards from our graveyard back into our deck...hmmm.

So why not change Anahid back to closed beta status? While its combo heavy and wouldn't benefit round one, it could make for interesting round 2 and 3 play. Yes its still a gamble because xarth is top 3...but if the opponent managed to burn through their deck or we miled them down.

So it looks like they got the memo after all. According to the patch notes Anahid now has the option to reshuffle both ours and opponents :)

Sadly I don't think Xarthisius is where we want him to be at the moment. Treason however can be very good if you are going the mill route. I use it pretty successfully in my current mill deck.

If you'd like a deck list let me know. :)

Top Bottom