Xbox One Controller LT Button Not Working

+
I bought the Withcer 3 Game of the Year Edition on Steam last week. I am using the latest version of Windows 10 and an xbox one elite controller. I updated the firmware for the controller. Every button except for the LT button works. What makes it stranger is that it does occasionally work. Any suggestions.?

Sounds like it could be a physical problem with the gamepad. Does it function without issues in other games?

Also, try uninstalling the drivers for it. Most actual Xbox controllers work perfectly fine under UPnP.

hi i have the same problem with gamepad xbox elite, no problem with other games but with the witcher 3, LT button doesn't work. a idea ?

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the controller drivers?

But if the buttons still won't work even after experimenting with the trigger settings of the controller, then it sounds to me like it might be a hardware problem of the controller...

Not every game has the same sensitivity regarding buttons, so it can still be a controller issue. Anyhow, I‘ve seen that the Xbox Elite Controller lets you remap any button with the paddles in the back. So if you are using this controller, you could easily remap the LT button. There are several tutorials out there in the internet.

Hey.

I have the EXACT same problem.
I have looked online and we are not alone.

Ive been searching for solutions, and might be coming close to a solution but seems like if you guys dont release a patch my money will go to waste.

Its pretty silly actually. Im still in the tutorial and cannot advance without casting a Sign. That is LT button...that is not recognized by the game.

Please Help.
I paid for this game...it has won so many awards....and I want to play it.
Post automatically merged:

I bought the Controller TODAY.
Specifically for TW3.

:/

Last edited:
As mentioned before the Xbox Elite controller lets you remap any button with the paddles in the back. So technically, you could reassign the LT button.

This is not something that is caused by the game. I play on a PC with an Xbox controller myself, and have never had even the slightest issue in almost 6 playthroughs.

The most likely issues are:

1.) Windows, especially if using a version of Windows 10 that was upgraded from a prior installation of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1). Even if it's a clean installation of Windows, it doesn't mean that all the bits and bobs (Microsoft Redistributables, BIOS / UEFI, firmware, etc.) are fully up to date or compatible.

2.) Anti-virus or anti-malware that is being too aggressive. Especially things like Norton, McAffee, Comodo, etc. can be very unfriendly with games. They may do things like hook inputs (a button may not respond) or prevent games from saving properly.

3.) You have the game installed under a protected directory, like the default Program Files or Program Files(x86). If the Security settings are high enough on your system, this can wreak havoc with games. Installing to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation on the root alleviates a lot of potential issues.

4.) Physical quirks with your hardware. For example, many computers use "slave boards" to add things like USB ports and sound jacks to convenient spots in the case. Not all of these boards are necessarily of the same quality. Hooking the gamepad up to a jack on the back of the case (one that is built directly onto the motherboard) may fix the issue.

5.) Third-party driver software. A Microsoft Xbox controller runs in UPnP. Any additional drivers or software suites for features are not required and may be introducing issues.

6.) Mods. If you've altered the functionality of the game in any way, now or at any point in the past, it may have very weird effects. If so, ensure you have completely removed any mods and managers, then run a verify / repair through GOG / Steam / Origin. If the problem persists, completely remove and reinstall the game to a different installation path to ensure it's running under vanilla conditions.

However, regular Xbox Controller and Xbox Elite controller (which at least the first post of this thread is about) isn‘t necessarily the same. On the internet I‘ve seen quite a few problem reports with the Elite controller for all sorts of games. Seems like it doesn‘t always work like it would with the normal controller version.

Last edited:
However, regular Xbox Controller and Xbox Elite controller (which at least the first post of this thread is about) isn‘t necessarily the same. On the internet I‘ve seen quite a few problem reports with the Elite controller for all sorts of games. Seems like it doesn‘t always work like it would with the normal controller version.

Are the Elites wired, wireless, or both?

Thanks so much for replying guys.
Its a little late here and I had a few beers but Im definitely gonna try and solve this.
I just really want to play this awesome and award winning game.

SigilFey those points are great! I can work with them and If you guys stick around im sure we can solve this!

Thanks So Much! Be Blessed!

Thanks so much for replying guys.
Its a little late here and I had a few beers but Im definitely gonna try and solve this.
I just really want to play this awesome and award winning game.

SigilFey those points are great! I can work with them and If you guys stick around im sure we can solve this!

Thanks So Much! Be Blessed!

Maaayyybeee...!

It sounds like a pretty exclusive issue. Computers are as different as there are computers. It's nothing that the game is directly doing or not doing, though. My guess is that if you play enough games, you'll eventually hit a similar issue in the future.

The reason I was asking about wired / wireless is that wireless can often introduce another layer of facacta that confuses games. Simply playing with a wired, USB connection could solve it. "Magically." :rolleyes: (Stupid computers.)

Ok Guys. Iv`e Fixed the Bug.
-
1.) Windows, especially if using a version of Windows 10 that was upgraded from a prior installation of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1). Even if it's a clean installation of Windows, it doesn't mean that all the bits and bobs (Microsoft Redistributables, BIOS / UEFI, firmware, etc.) are fully up to date or compatible.

Removed all Redistributables. OS is up to date and Maintained.

2.) Anti-virus or anti-malware that is being too aggressive. Especially things like Norton, McAffee, Comodo, etc. can be very unfriendly with games. They may do things like hook inputs (a button may not respond) or prevent games from saving properly.

None Active Besides Windows Defender and Firewall. :/

3.) You have the game installed under a protected directory, like the default Program Files or Program Files(x86). If the Security settings are high enough on your system, this can wreak havoc with games. Installing to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation on the root alleviates a lot of potential issues.

I bought the game on Steam.
C:/ my SSD and only carries the OS.
D:/ is my 1TBHD. When I attempt to file a different Directory for Installation, it still needs to be under the Steam Library.

I have already seen and gone through various open complaints on Steam forums regarding this exact bug.
Checked "Controller" Settings on Steam, and everything seems to be completely compatible and functional.
Any other game works perfectly. By the same rhetoric of all other complaints and fails.

4.) Physical quirks with your hardware. For example, many computers use "slave boards" to add things like USB ports and sound jacks to convenient spots in the case. Not all of these boards are necessarily of the same quality. Hooking the gamepad up to a jack on the back of the case (one that is built directly onto the motherboard) may fix the issue.

Im Running an ASUS TUF FX504GM.
Nothing Besides that.

5.) Third-party driver software. A Microsoft Xbox controller runs in UPnP. Any additional drivers or software suites for features are not required and may be introducing issues.

This is the thing.
I was actually WARY to speak up and ask for technical support when im not actually using official Microsoft Gear.
When I bought the game, I installed it and had two XBOX for PC USB Receiver Controllers. "Old"? Im not sure.
But the LT Button didnt work. I said to myself "Ok Dude, You need to upgrade. These Controllers are Second Generation and you need to buy the New One's". I Uninstalled the Game.

2.7 Years later (Today) I buy -
Sparkfox Atlas USB\Wireless\Bluetooth Controller for PC / Android

Seems legit. I looked for some reviews online before buying. Cheaper by %20 than a New Microsoft Controller...and it has more options.

By looking online, I found a few people recommending the https://www.x360ce.com/ emulator to solve the LT Button Issue.
Allthough Windows automatically detected the Sparkfox as an X-Box Controller...the emulator is what allowed me to go into specifics and remap the buttons.
Took me a short time to understand what axis (half, Inverted etc...) to config...but figured it out.
LT is Haxis3 and RT is IHaxis 3.

6.) Mods. If you've altered the functionality of the game in any way, now or at any point in the past, it may have very weird effects. If so, ensure you have completely removed any mods and managers, then run a verify / repair through GOG / Steam / Origin. If the problem persists, completely remove and reinstall the game to a different installation path to ensure it's running under vanilla conditions.

No Mods Installed.

-
Thanks alot Guys. Let the Gaming Begin!

Top Bottom