Xbox One DRM scheme detailed - will CDPR support it?

+
So, devs will have to pay a fee to opt out of the DRM I bet and CDPR will pay it to get their game on there no question.

No dev in their right mind would not put their game on the XBoxone, most of the time the publishers have the say anyway, so the devs don't have a choice, publisher gives them the cash.

MisterMida said:
CDP Red will make an XB1 version no question. This is not a matter of their stance on DRM, or else they wouldn't their games on Steam either. I think it would make more sense that CDP Red just wants the consumer to have options.
This exactly. Plenty of companies only have their game on Steam or their own DRM-bloated clients, but CDPR offers it DRM free on GoG aswell. It's all about choice. CDPR is great because they offer the choice, not because they're "going after" other companies using DRM.

As one or two mods have pointed out: CDPR's stance on DRM doesn't directly relate to their stance on used game. As I said in my earlier post, I'm pretty sure there's no "online pass" or "used game fee" for The Witcher 2:EE on the Xbox 360.

Time will tell if there'll be that on the Xbone. Just remember that it might not be CDPR's decision.

Personally I can't imagine why you'd wanna sell a Witcher game in the first place, but different strokes I guess.

Thanks for the link Slimgrin. The key point there:

Having said that, we strongly believe in the freedom of choice and voting with your wallet

I don't agree about current availability of 100% DRM free "freedom of choice" point he makes there, but I agree with the above.

IsengrimR

DRM is an annoyance, a thing that only irritates people who bought the game... Pirates do not have that issue. Copy-paste crack, done. No DRM, no "insert *sth* disk into drive x* BS.

Which is the very reason why I do not buy EA games anymore, that's why I laugh when I see Sony slapping Microsoft in the face over and over again.
I will not support anything that treats me as a thief even though I legally bought their damn game.

Steam is an exception, while it DRMs it's DRM - it's less visible as Steam serves overall as more a convenience than annoyance, at least for me.

As, said in the interview CDPR has no influence on what console developers do. CDPR is keeping up the good fight, not wasting time and money on a "safeguard" that can be broken by an 9 year old with an internet connection.

In xbone as i understand it Mircosoft's DRM will sit over the non DRM game , what's the problem with that? people who will buy xbone will also accept the terms of service, good for them , the rest of us will enjoy the non DRM game in our favourite platforms , win for everyone and CDP .

small note: the whole concept about piracy is vastly false , developers only see peers downloading but this means nothing , i got the pirate version of Skyrim Legendary moments after i received my receipt from paypal (bought from gamersgate and i can link to screenshot if requested) , why? NO FUCKING STEAM.

GuyN said:
Excusing piracy, patronizing pirates, and winking at others who do just convinces the suits that they must have more and ever more invasive DRM.
Right, because DRM is and always has been about the prevention of filesharing and not about preventing second-hand sales and such

Chew on this for a while:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

"Xbox One-Supported Xbox Live Countries

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States"

How nice of you, Microsoft, to show The Witcher 3 on E3 and then excluding Poland from the 'Xbox One-Supported Xbox Live Countries'...

MisterMida said:
CDP Red will make an XB1 version no question. This is not a matter of their stance on DRM, or else they wouldn't their games on Steam either. I think it would make more sense that CDP Red just wants the consumer to have options.

Yeah but I can not believe that CDRED is now basically totally selling out all their believes they had with DRM. This is not just some harmless steam DRM. This stuff is IP locked. People in Poland will not be able to buy a XBox One at launch or maybe not even when the Witcher 3 will be released. They can not just order this machine in Germany or elsewhere because it will not work in their country.

I think it is really a shame not only to make this game but more to advertise this game on their press conference no matter how much money they got for this stage show. So why should I take gog or CD red in this regard still seriously? There is no reason for it anymore.

darji said:
Yeah but I can not believe that CDRED is now basically totally selling out all their believes they had with DRM. This is not just some harmless steam DRM. This stuff is IP locked. People in Poland will not be able to buy a XBox One at launch or maybe not even when the Witcher 3 will be released. They can not just order this machine in Germany or elsewhere because it will not work in their country.

I think it is really a shame not only to make this game but more to advertise this game on their press conference no matter how much money they got for this stage show. So why should I take gog or CD red in this regard still seriously? There is no reason for it anymore.

No, they are not selling out. They are working hard on their game and don't want to exclude a large part of the gaming community from enjoying it just because the PLATFORM HOLDER made some wrong business decisions. They also don't want to deny themselves of additional revenue stream, the latter I find so obvious that it's not even worth discussing.

If you read articles commenting on the whole situation, like this one you will find out that they are as surprised as everyone else by the news of Xbox being region locked.

Show me another dev that gives players these options:

1)Xbox One
2)PS4
3)PC Steam
4)PC retail
5)PC GOG(DRM-free)

Or just show me another AAA game developer/publisher that allowed their brand new blockbuster AAA game being sold DRM-free from GOG.COM.

From what I understand Xbox live is the service network for Xbox and it offers localized content for the officially supported countries. If Poland or any other country is not in that list, shouldn't they still be able to use the Xbox without Xbox live? Authentication and whatever other DRM should be an independent "service".

But whatever. It does look bad that CDPR was included in M$ E3 conference but the X1 does not feature Poland officially.

Why so much talk about Xbox anyway? Let's instead focus on the great features of PC gaming :) And console users, look forward the PS4 I suppose.

Volsung said:
From what I understand Xbox live is the service network for Xbox and it offers localized content for the officially supported countries. If Poland or any other country is not in that list, shouldn't they still be able to use the Xbox without Xbox live? Authentication and whatever other DRM should be an independent "service".

With Xbox One you need to be always online to play your games, so the system will probably also recognize that you're not in the supported region. You can't play your games offline, like with 360.

gregski said:
No, they are not selling out. They are working hard on their game and don't want to exclude a large part of the gaming community from enjoying it just because the PLATFORM HOLDER made some wrong business decisions. They also don't want to deny themselves of additional revenue stream, the latter I find so obvious that it's not even worth discussing.

If you read articles commenting on the whole situation, like this one you will find out that they are as surprised as everyone else by the news of Xbox being region locked.

Show me another dev that gives players these options:

1)Xbox One
2)PS4
3)PC Steam
4)PC retail
5)PC GOG(DRM-free)

Or just show me another AAA game developer/publisher that allowed their brand new blockbuster AAA game being sold DRM-free from GOG.COM.

This is not about offer options. This is about setting a statement against the whole stuff that is going on right now. In all honestly I do not mind normal DRM I do think that used games are bad for this industry that why I will never do that. But the whole stuff MS is doing is far beyond this. Do you really think all these people who gather together on the internet right now are doing this because they are bored or just want to hate on things?

Also why should I believe that they did not know this? Why should I be so naive? We (people on the internet) knew about their plans and strategy way before E3. Right now they are treating costumers like shit and the drm stuff is not the only thing they are doing. I always believed GOG or CDRED at some sort of philosophy and not only doing this to offer some options. But I guess I was wrong.

That said If this game does not suck I will still buy it on either steam or for my PS4 but I will not really support them anymore because they lost my trust even if it matters nothing to them.

Besides I doubt these guys will make much money from their Xbox one version except MS is paying them for doing it because right now Microsoft and the Xbox one are the most hated company and it is the most hated device out there and this will not change. Especially for the people who can be interested in this game.

Well, region locked thing is bad. I remember even on xbox 360 I wanted to buy D2 DKS, but first it was available on Xbox Live only in Europe. I went on-line from my PC, found British XBL and wanted to buy. They did not sell it to me. Even for a demo I had to create another, fake, account, with British address. It was stupid beyond belief. Now, it seems, it might be even worse, until MS don't change their stupid not-so-user-friendly policy.

Whether Microsoft is hated or not really has not much to do with whether they can use their near-monopoly position to sell shiploads of product.

CDPR is in business to sell games and make money, not satisfy the animosities of people who rightly and righteously detest Microsoft's business practices.

Unless CDPR were giving Microsoft exclusive or priority rights in content or schedule, nobody who doesn't want their Witcher games on Microsoft consoles is injured in any way by CDPR's dealing with Microsoft.

GuyN said:
Whether Microsoft is hated or not really has not much to do with whether they can use their near-monopoly position to sell shiploads of product.

CDPR is in business to sell games and make money, not satisfy the animosities of people who rightly and righteously detest Microsoft's business practices.

Unless CDPR were giving Microsoft exclusive or priority rights in content or schedule, nobody who doesn't want their Witcher games on Microsoft consoles is injured in any way by CDPR's dealing with Microsoft.

There are various business approaches for example costumer friendly or not costumer friendly It is also about losing image and trust of the costumer through various actions of their business. For example EA deeply regrets to have used onlinepasses because the damage they have gotten image-wise was much higher than the money they earned in the end. Losing the trust of costumers is not a good thing no matter how much you try to defend this.

But yeah look like you are not willingly to anything so I think this discussion is pointless. Good luck with your game and if it does not suck and I hope it does not I will buy it somewhere but not on gog that is for sure.

Top Bottom