Xbox One performance research

+

Vinthir

CD PROJEKT RED
Xbox One performance research

Some of you have reported performance issues on Xbox. To be able to improve performance from the game architecture perspective we need very specific information about when and in what contexts issues occur.

Please send reports about the performance issues you experience via our support form. Please start your messages with tags [performance], provide videos or screenshots if possible (they help a lot) and provide the following information:

1. What are the symptoms? FPS drops? Stutter? Blurs? Textures not loading/not appearing?
  2. What is the exact context? (e.g. using a sign, a bomb, a potion - which one? night? fire-based effects nearby? rain or other weather effects? a particular cutscene? a boss fight?)
  3. Where exactly the issue occurs (e.g. Novigrad, swamps, Oxenfurt? Which quest? Near which landmark?)
  4. Is performance poor a) from the moment you load a save or b) gets worse with time played? If b) then how long does it take for issues to start?
  5. Drops occur when on a quest in a given location or when just wandering around?
  6. Do you use Xbox One's 'Instant on' feature? If yes, does turning it off and restarting the game help?

Last edited:
Thanks for noticing us!

1. Mostly fps drops. Also wandering about Novigrad and Oxenfurt there'll be a loading screen once in a while. Those weren't there before 1.10.
2. It only was clear weather when I was playing in these places.
3. Novigrad and Oxenfurt.
4. As soon as I drop into one of the above places, the framerate drops. This can be after a loading a save or travelling there via a signpost.
5. Just wandering around.
6. I use both. It actually seems better when using the instant on feature.

If I can any more specific information, I'll drop it here.

Thanks for hearing our voices!

1 Mainly the symptoms in regard to performance are FPS drops. Especially an FPS drop isappearing in Novigrad or Oxenfurt. The more crowded areas, the more people you go (e.g. market places) the more FPS drop is seems is appearing stronger. FPS drop means for me a noticeable difference to 1.08.
2 Just walking around, noticed at day time, weather effect if clear it seems more smooth. Rain generally makes FPS worse
3 Novigard, Oxenfurt, the crowded areas the worse FPS drop gets
4 all the time from the start
5 does not matter
6 no, always turn X1 completely off

1 Another performance problem is textures taking longer to load as before (comparing to 1.08).
2 This is appearing at interactions/cutscene with NPC’s. The textures of the clothes, skin take sometimes longer to load until completely sharp.
3 This happened during quest row of Triss and Lambert to NPC (e.g. owners of Triss hideout)
4 all the time, also when reload the quest

BR

Thank you @Vinthir and CD Projekt Red to show some concern about us, Xbox One players. If everyone here actually take the time to send a form reporting this problem like Vinthir said, all these issues will be fixed soon. And like bullmsa said, it would be better to write a form like Vinthir recommended instead of posting only here, in that way the CPR team will work faster to solve these issues.

Some of you have reported performance issues on Xbox. To be able to improve performance from the game architecture perspective we need very specific information about when and in what contexts issues occur.

It would helps us greatly if you sent us reports about the performance issues you experience via our support form. Please start your messages with tags [performance], provide videos or screenshots if possible (they help a lot) and provide the following information:

1. What are the symptoms? FPS drops? Stutter? Blurs? Textures not loading/not appearing?
  2. What is the exact context? (e.g. using a sign, a bomb, a potion - which one? night? fire-based effects nearby? rain or other weather effects? a particular cutscene? a boss fight?)
  3. Where exactly the issue occurs (e.g. Novigrad, swamps, Oxenfurt? Which quest? Near which landmark?)
  4. Is performance poor a) from the moment you load a save or b) gets worse with time played? If b) then how long does it take for issues to start?
  5. Drops occur when on a quest in a given location or when just wandering around?
  6. Do you use Xbox One's 'Instant on' feature? If yes, does turning it off and restarting the game help?

I'm getting a lot of loading screens. Loading screens everywhere. Places I never got them before. The most noticeable is during conversations, where I am often confronted with a loading screen with every dialogue choice.

There is also a lot of texture pop, especially on faces. Walking into towns never used to cause very much texture pop, if any at all. Now it's more or less every time I enter a city or town.

People seem to like to glide now. During conversations, whereas people used to walk like normal human beings, now they glide as if propelled by a magical force. It's not regular, but it does come up a handful of times in every 4-5 hour play session.

I'm also getting significant amounts of lag when in combat. It's mostly just when facing quick enemies, but it is deadly. It makes dodging and rolling at the appropriate time nearly impossible when facing speedy foes. Lag outside of combat is far less regular, but still occasional.

I'm missing animations on occasion as well. The Igni sign seems to be the primary offender, with a clear lack of flames shooting from my hands while enemies are nonetheless ignited.

Performance seems to decrease the longer I play before restarting the game, but the issues are still present right from the boot. It seems to get worse after roughly the 2 hour mark. Problems are not contained to one geographical location- they seem to occur anywhere. Skellige appears to be slightly less bugged than the mainland, with conversations running smoothly and without load times. I did not have my console on instant on and I was experiencing all of these issues.

I've noticed some other stuff as well, and I'll update this post when I can document it a bit better.

It would helps us greatly if you sent us reports about the performance issues you experience via our support form. Please start your messages with tags [performance], provide videos or screenshots if possible (they help a lot) and provide the following information:

Thanks for looking into this.
1. FPS drops, stutters, blurs and slow texture loads - I noticed these issues when I would start any of HoS missions around Oxenfurt. Screen would blur every 10 or so seconds. Entering conversations would have a slow texture load, also audio was unsynced.
2. Starting a mission (I was playing expansion missions only)
3. First time I noticed issues was in Oxenfurt while approaching the toad well in Evils First Soft Touches Quest
I use the instant-on feature, I found the only way to fix issues was a hard reset of Xbox One
Also load times seem significantly slower when using fast travel.
Inventory menu opens and navigates slowly, switching between tabs (example between materials and junk) can take up to 3 seconds. This issue remained even after hard reset.

Thanks for looking into this! I took a week away from the game and came back to performance issues :(

1) FPS drops, stutters, lots of load screens, texture pop. Also sound issues - mostly crackling audio. All these problems are for short periods only - i.e. if the audio crackles, it will be for 3-4 seconds and then its back to normal
2) I've seen this just walking around, riding around, or on a mission - but most often when in a fight with some mobs.
3) I am in Velen - No Mans Land. THe quest doesnt seem to matter. The first time it happened, I loaded a game where i was underground with Keria Metz, about to fight a Golem for the first time.
4) Problems start a few moments after loading a game, and don't seem to noticeably get any better/worse when playing
5) Both wandering around and on quests
6) Yes I use instant-on, and a full quit/restart/reboot does seem to fix it temporarily. it will re-occurr though in the near future.

Annoyingly (sort off!) i've loaded up a game to try and record a video tonight and its running perfectly...this was from a cold start (no instant-on), and loading to a game where I was by the grindstone in Midcopse. I'll update this post with a video when it re-ocurrs.

vladgiurgiubv

It's exactly the same problem with PS4...every detail that was given here about Xbox One is also relevant for the PS4

Thanks!

The two biggest problems i have had are the frame rate in novigrad and allot of the time just exploring or doing anything really, every 15 seconds the game will freeze and go blurry, then unfreeze. Every 15 seconds. It happens pretty much anywere i go except for wide open fields with nothing around.

thank you for listening :)

@Forsythia @EclecticMIND @RagnarNidhogg
I think you should use their support form to report these things. At least I understood @Vinthir so.

Reports sent via our form are preferred, as tickets in the support mailboxes are my team's primary domain. We provide help via support boxes and use tickets and their fluctuations to analyse issues and help set priorities. We cannot add the replies here to the number of occurrences in our spreadsheets measuring traffic in support boxes.

And thank you all for the info you provide!

Last edited:
1) All of them! I've also had geometry disappearing and NPCs clipping through each other:
2) Doesn't seem to be any specific trigger; it just happens at random.
3) See 2.
4) It can happen right from the start. Heck, even the title screen has issues -- it takes a few seconds for the animation to kick in, then it runs at double speed for a second or two until it "catches up".
5) This is pretty much the same question as 2 and 3?
6) No; the fan on the PSU drives me crazy so I power down completely.

Short video clip of the "loading blur" happening during dialog; note that after the blurs the lipsynch is all screwed up: https://youtu.be/DIS4Si_DWLs
Short compliation of assorted glitches (not necessarily performance-based, although the vanishing geometry may be): https://youtu.be/RWl4O2qVlcU
Screenshot of hideous texture:

Attachments

• Tue_Oct_27_11-20-09_UTC_2015.jpg
    Tue_Oct_27_11-20-09_UTC_2015.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 242
1) pop in texture in Novigrad
2) frame rate issue Novigrad
3) Swamp frame rate issue
4) pop in Skelige
5) frame rate issue Skelige
6) stuttering some times
7) Alfter a few hour xbox one cache need to be clean, issue pop in texture
8) DlC most wanted of skelige ( lycan doesn't die
9) texture filtering sometimes
10) sometimes frame rate / poi in (in all place of the map... is randomic)

A porting on DX 11.3 or 11.4 is possible?

Last edited:
5) This is pretty much the same question as 2 and 3?

It's similar but I wanted to additionally differentiate between being somewhere on a quest including having quest NPCs and events nearby and being there simply to explore.

Reports sent via our form are preferred, as tickets in the support mailboxes are my team's primary domain.

Sorry for slightly tangential question, but it's related to your approach to handling bug reports. Do you think using a bug tracker could be a more effective way for this? I know it's common to report bugs on forums (for many gaming studios), as well as through direct support e-mails, but it lacks integration that bug trackers provide. I.e. users there can see easily already existing reports (and can spot duplicates instead of reporting the same thing again and again), and as well can track progress of those bugs and workarounds found in the interim. For instance VirtualProgramming started using Github for tracking issues in their release of TW2 and it works very effectively. Do you think it can be good for CDPR to use something like that as well?

Sorry for popping in with a seemingly unrelated issue, but seeing @Vinthir actively participate in this thread I really want to ask everyone this:

Do you guys agree that the two additional quick slots are not implemented the best way they could have been? Do you guys think that:

Just a tap on the D-pad to always use food/potions put in the primarary slots
Hold down to always consume food/potions put in the secondary slots

would be a better/ideal solution for that?

P.S. I've already sent my report on the xbox one performance issues.

I know you're researching slowdown etc, but I do need to note that (besides vanilla), 1.11 is the most smoothrunning version of any versions I've played to date at any location in the gameworld.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I found problems in:

- in l'oro degli sciocchi, there were immortal enemy,
- in sulle traccie di junior, there were drops in fps, during the fight,
- in novigrad, something, the texture is slow to load,
- on one occasion, the key to plunge did not work, and i was in a lot of water based
- hair geralt always moved by the wind in the dialogue even if it is inside
- in novigrad, icon blacksmith and gunsmith there are not always on the map
- some loading screen during dialogues

sorry for my english, but i do not know very well

Top Bottom