Xbox Series S graphics completely downgraded after 1.05 patch

+
After upgrading to 1.05 on the Series S, CP looks like a completely different game. In a bad way. It was actually running great on past versions and looked awesome until now. Why change something that wasn't broken?

It's definitely not a placebo effect either - I've compared screenshots to the same spot I took them in a few days ago and lighting, textures, and character models are all way worse. There also seems to be more pop-in and less NPCs/cars around the city.

It might have been a side effect of the patches to keep things stable until a further patch in the new year.

For me, the textures don't load in til the object is much closer, and the effect is distracting. I would overlook this if it meant the game ran better on various platforms, but now when I drive at high speed for more than 15 seconds, the screen flickers and then the console shuts down. I tried capturing it but the console crashes before the capture is saved, I'm guessing.

I agree with the OP, imgmatt.

Prior to the 1.05 patch the graphics on XBox One X were really not bad, relatively speaking.
After 1.05 that changed, but unfortunately not for the better.

The 1.05 Patch Notes state, under "Visual", line 6:
  • Added some warmth to HDR.
OK, sounds nice but: What appears to also have happened is when the HDR was "adjusted", the brightness / contrast levels were also "jacked-up" across the the entire visual spectrum.

The darker, black textures, and shadow areas, are now brighter than before, and by consequence, they project noticeably less contrast against the lighter, brighter texture areas. In other words many areas now have a flatter, more primitive gaming look.

I noticed this immediately when i rejoined "The Rescue". The mission was practically over and I decided to call it a night and save the game.
The next sign in was greeted with a new (1.05) update, When I rejoined the mission still in progress the lab area and out side terrace now looked VERY different.
It was like a mild fog had rolled in or I was in the smoking car of passenger train car.
Adjusting the gamma does not really help as both lights and dark's go up and down in unison.

Please look into this,

Regrads,

JMDFLA

Last edited:
For me, the textures don't load in til the object is much closer, and the effect is distracting. I would overlook this if it meant the game ran better on various platforms, but now when I drive at high speed for more than 15 seconds, the screen flickers and then the console shuts down. I tried capturing it but the console crashes before the capture is saved, I'm guessing.
I've noticed this as well - textures never used to have loading issues on the XSS but now take 1-2 seconds quite frequently.

I personally am not experiancing texture "pop-in" as of yet. My main issue is that with Patch 1.05 darker areas / shadows have be brightened along with the increased HDR, which in turn detracts from the over all 3D effect.

Best, JMD

I don't have any problems with textures either. I've made a habit out of emptying the console's cache after having downloaded the patches, but I too feel that the new patch messed with the graphic and especially the lighting. The colours now looks too red, too warm I suppose and the dark areas like shadows and when you're in a dark car and such are much too dark now. Like there are less nuances or something. I've tried to adjust it myself, changing the setting of the game and on my TV, turning up the brightness a bit since I had it pretty dark from the start. It's helped some but, yeah... I regret downloading this last hot fix actually.

Thanks! Reported.
If you are experiencing graphic issues with the game, you can report it here:

And yes, clearing console cache after patches is a good idea.
How does clearing cache work on the new Xboxes? Powering down puts the Xbox into standby, not actually powered off.

Top Bottom