Xbox Series X has worse shadow and foliage draw distance compared to PS5

+
Not sure if this is a bug or intentional but the Series X version of the next gen patch has noticeably worse shadow and foliage draw distance when compared to the PS5 version. You can see a comparison here in this Digital Foundry video:

I'd like to know if this is intentional or not. Normally third party games on both consoles use the same graphical settings with the only difference being a resolution target or framerate dip.

I have a suspicion that this is actually a bug and the Series X version is unintentionally inheriting settings from the Series S version because it's happened in the past with other games.

I highly advise you to report this to Cdproject technical support website. That is where they see issues mostly and forums not so much. So to get the best results with the upcoming hotfixes/patch for Xbox series X, this is the best way to go about it.

I found a video explaining how the bug happens. Basically the Series S settings are used if you play a save on Series S and continue on Series X.

I also confirmed that the draw distance is fine in my game on Series X and made this comparison with my screenshot on the far right
Post automatically merged:

I highly advise you to report this to Cdproject technical support website. That is where they see issues mostly and forums not so much. So to get the best results with the upcoming hotfixes/patch for Xbox series X, this is the best way to go about it.
I sent an email to their technical support the same time I made this forum post. Still haven't heard back from them.

Same, draw distance is fine for me on Series X, nothing like we have seen on some videos. At least for foliage, etc. But I have seen some fences popping two meters in front of me in some villages on a few occasions. Rather annoying, especially when you’re on horseback.

I also have a problem with the new fog textures appearing absolutely everywhere (and it looks bad, clipping into the ground, what a terrible idea) in the countryside and which seem to never go away, no matter the time of day or the weather. And cherry on the top, there are also transparency issues that make the straight sharp edges / borders of these textures often very visible. And the same with the lightning strokes in the sky. And it is the same on PC. With no RT. How could have such things been validated!? Don’t they see?

Last edited:
Tested both. Foliage appears to look better on XBOX Series X against the Playstation 5.

I've done a lot of testing on Series X lately and I must say the system is not bad. Infact for the price I can get one used it's an outstanding deal.

I found a video explaining how the bug happens. Basically the Series S settings are used if you play a save on Series S and continue on Series X.

I also confirmed that the draw distance is fine in my game on Series X and made this comparison with my screenshot on the far right
Post automatically merged:

I sent an email to their technical support the same time I made this forum post. Still haven't heard back from them.
Did they reply? It has been a while since you asked. Im currently facing the same issue but have no Idea how to solve IT.

They fixed it in one of their later patches. It was caused by playing on Series S and having the Series S graphical settings saved to the save file. If it isn't fixed for you now, try switching to Series S and back to Series X.

Top Bottom