Year is 2077 and elevators are slow AF?

+
People complain that the game isnt immersive enough, and then you see topics like this, where they're being criticized for doing something immersive.

This is game, and it is game designer job to make immersion won't conflict with convenient and vice versa.

I'd say elevators are quite fine, they take the amount of time an elevator usually takes to cover all those floors, also.. really? I like the fact you take an elevator and it behaves and looks like an elevator and I don't end up just like loaded on the floor.

Also, use that time to reload weapons and get ready, I mean, sometimes those elevators take you into scary places.

Also, use that time to reload weapons and get ready, I mean, sometimes those elevators take you into scary places.
Nah, I'm fine with transport being instantaneous. Besides, I use Comrade's Hammer; that bad boy reloads automatically.

You are right in saying 1.5 m/s^2 is the maximum acceptable acceleration of an elevator however there are many other factors taken into account in the real world which you omitted. I don't want to get started rn but there is mass of the elevator, the shape, the cable structure, the payload capacity, etc. Its not very fair to compare a game with real world that easily, elevator engineering is a whole another profession in real life. I am a final year engineering student with experience in elevator design as an intern.

The 1.5 m/s^2 "limit" doesn't have much to do with those factors which is why it's pretty much universal for all human rated commercial lifts regardless of their design, this is because it has to do with the comfort of the passengers in the lift, deceleration in lifts is also about half of that and that is usually the biggest limiting factor to lifts actual speed because the lift needs also quite a bit of time to slow down, beyond that there is a hard limit to the lifts velocity because it needs to be able to withstand an emergency stop, you can't be traveling at 50mph+ and then come to a stop in 2 seconds without people inside being tossed like like french-fries.
This is why the top speed of most residential lifts is limited to about 3m/s, even the Burj Khalifa with it's super hightech lifts operates only at around 10m/s maximum speed.

So I don't know which lifts you've worked on but please tell us so we could avoid them.

Last edited:
Member the elevator from The fifth element, that rushed past Leeloo. Would have been cool to live in the highest appartment in a megabuilding and have an elevator like that. Or a platform from where you can look at the city.

If the elevators aren't being used to hide load screens, then there's no excuse to having them be slow. I bought the game so I could play it, not wait to play it.

It's called immersion. It's why your guns don't shoot dildos and your car doesn't break the sound barrier.

It's called immersion. It's why your guns don't shoot dildos and your car doesn't break the sound barrier.
It's called a video game; there's no reason why they can't. Besides, the I-Word is getting in the way of playing the game.

They had to lockdown the elevators after AI's killed tens of thousands of people by shaking them up and down really fast back in 2044

The 1.5 m/s^2 "limit" doesn't have much to do with those factors which is why it's pretty much universal for all human rated commercial lifts regardless of their design, this is because it has to do with the comfort of the passengers in the lift, deceleration in lifts is also about half of that and that is usually the biggest limiting factor to lifts actual speed because the lift needs also quite a bit of time to slow down, beyond that there is a hard limit to the lifts velocity because it needs to be able to withstand an emergency stop, you can't be traveling at 50mph+ and then come to a stop in 2 seconds without people inside being tossed like like french-fries.
This is why the top speed of most residential lifts is limited to about 3m/s, even the Burj Khalifa with it's super hightech lifts operates only at around 10m/s maximum speed.

So I don't know which lifts you've worked on but please tell us so we could avoid them.

right. its clear you are pulling stuff from somewhere which you have no idea about, so imma stop and be the mature one.

Top Bottom