Yen Or Triss?

+
Yen Or Triss?

Just curious, what does the populace normally choose for Geralts's mate? I am wondering if I am the only one who always picks Yen cuz I have seen a lot of Triss posts on here. Or do u rather prefer Shani or some other female for Geralt? I think Yennefer is beautiful and although she may seem rather demanding and cruel at times, she is the perfect one for Geralt (and me lol) nothing against Triss but Yen is always my pick. My 1st playthrough I slept with them both and ended up getting busted and wound up all alone!!! Never again!!

Yennefer usually, as thousands of existing posts and threads on here bear out. Fans of either usually don't so much support their own choice but rather deride the other one into the ground. You don't have to choose either one, just sayin'. I think they're both a bad fit as a permanent mate for Geralt. He's better as a lone wolf. I prefer a Geralt who has pleasant encounters (Shani, Keira, etc.) and moves on. Luckily the game supports that option.

Last edited:
You must be new here....I wouldn't start this thread. It's like leaving a bleeding cadaver in swamp inhabited by ghouls. We have been there it's not nice I can assure you. So let's be smart and discuss this kind of things in the relevant Triss/Yennefer threads.

Last edited:
It's been a while since one of these threads has been up, but they do have a tendency to become war zones before they inevitably get locked (i.e. The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3 andTriss vs Yen and Triss vs Yennefer [NOW WITH SPOILERS. Oh, well.].) So please keep in mind that it is completely reasonable for others to have differing opinions from you. Keep your posts respectful and do not continue spamming the same things over and over without anything to add to the conversation. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, moving to character discussion spoilers sub-forum.

Last edited:
I personally prefer Yennefer. I love strong, fierce woman in the books and games. Her sarcasm is actually what I love not hate maybe becouse I like to use a sarcasm myself. Of course some people not take it right way but I don't really care to be honest. Triss I don't like too much becouse of what happen in the books and in games and also becouse I had a friend like her in the past and she too much remind me of her not in a good way (long story).

are you asking what do the people choose? they choose both, you could try both too, but only one at a time,
anyway, it seems that the game wants you to be with yen, for you already start with her, and it's easier to continue with her, and there is more content about yen, more interactions, you encounter triss way later on and there is less content about her, i'm trying to be neutral here
i think you should go with both in different playthroughs of course, and the endings with geralt with a partner are happier than if he is all alone

I couldn't choose Triss. I liked her in Blood of Elves, but since Tower of Swallow I was really close to hate her (if "hate" is a word that can be used when talking about fictional characters). Speaking about games: in W1 she was almost like Yennefer, in W2 she was basically herself, and in W3 she was pretending to be a cute next door 16 years old girl. I can't chose her. I wouldn't do that to Geralt - Triss has too many personalities - it's like living with schizophrenic. With Yen - he knows, at least, what to expect. Besides that - #TeamZoltan, #RIPEssi :D

Last edited:

View attachment 64921

Edit: I am apparently experiencing technical difficulties.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited by a moderator:
The game favors Yennefer. I imported my Triss-loving Geralt savegames from TW1 and TW2 and even I ended up romancing Yen in my first "gut-feeling" playthrough. Everything about it just makes sense, from the final breakup with Triss, to Yennefer breaking the spell that "bound" her and Geralt, to the two finally just acting on their feelings knowing there's no magic destiny at play, it just all fit together.

I've romanced Triss in my latest playthrough and it hits a lot of wrong notes. I guess I know how Shani fans felt after she was pushed aside in TW2. I doubt I will romance Triss again if I replay TW3. I'll go for Yennefer or lone wolf (Shani, Keira, Iron Maiden).

I'd rather pick Keira tbh. Since I can't, I usually end up with Triss or Yen... or both of them, but that doesn't go very well after a while. I don't have a preference between the two.

I do not think the game really "favors" either in a major way. While Yennefer does have more screen time when it comes to the main story, it is more or less understandable given her role as Ciri's adoptive mother. And NPCs talk more about her in dialogues with Geralt because they know more about her relationship with Geralt from the time of the books. On the other hand, NPCs talking negatively about Yennefer is also just them not liking her character, not necessarily the game "pushing" the player towards anyone. In any case, I prefer Triss. Also, for someone choosing Triss, it may make sense to do her personal quest(s) only after completing the main quests in Skellige (maybe ignore The Last Wish), or even after Ugly Baby.

Actually it's more or less the opposite. The Game is pushing the player a bit more in Triss direction.
Feeled 90% of the game comments are bad about Yen, also Dijkstra's comment how Geralt dared to let Triss go

Just had to say that :p

For me my Geralt , there is only one choice..The Unicorn Lady :D

Dijkstra's comments have very little to do with him caring about Geralt's love life, and he states so himself. His "advice" is political and based on incomplete information on his part, which the player is well aware of.

Actually it's more or less the opposite. The Game is pushing the player a bit more in Triss direction.

Really? You seriously feel like The Witcher 3 presents Triss as a more favorable choice for a partner than Yennefer? It feels all kinds of wrong to me. I feel like no one within the game, Triss included, can really fathom how Geralt could make such a choice.

No one in-game likes Yennefer, of course, but that's beside the point. Everyone accepts that Geralt is her bitch, and in fact this is the source of most of the derogatory comments about her. On the other hand, people, Triss included, often seem genuinely flabbergasted that Geralt is romancing Triss.

Most of Triss's plotline is her trying to get away from Geralt, trying to push him away and keep her distance despite needing him for her plans. You have to hit a number of specific triggers to get her romance. More than once she tries to bow out in the face of Geralt's history with Yennefer. On the other hand, Yennefer's romance is quite straightforward. It happens very naturally, and feels smooth and even in terms of story telling.

Actually it's more or less the opposite.

No it isn't. Yen is the star of the show, it's obvious - that's why she's more prevalent. Triss was an afterthought. Don't even fucking pretend Yen wasn't meant to be the main queen. She's there from beginning to end. She's treated more like a waifu than Triss ever was. And moreover, every player gets railroaded with the cantankerous bitch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom