Yen Or Triss?

+
See, that is strange to me. Sword & sorcery heroes aren't known for abandoning the woods, ever. I doubt people would have thought much of Conan the Cimmerian settling down with one of his sweethearts at the end of his life.

I agree, a relationship can't change a lone wolf archetype like Geralt. It's obvious CDPR was either cut for time or just wanted to make the ending as casual as possible, last act being the huge mess it was even with Toussaint's lore-breaking ribbon wrapped around it.

He almost did, then Rivia happened.

And thank god for that, a pitchfork in the gut beats killing a character through marriage.

Talking of Belleteyn... people sometimes accuse Triss of taking advantage of Geralt for her own pleasure during his memory loss. I didn't play W1 or W2 so missed that bit... but I was a bit shocked that in the books, Yennefer actually puts a spell on a local lad so she can use him for sex, then immediately drops him (leaving him dazed) when she meets Geralt. Rape or what?

What on earth are you talking about? Belletyn is a festival of basically rebirth,renewal. The fact that Yennefer and Geralt is there is a complete contradiction because they are infertile. Yennefer was simply going to fuck a nice-looking guy but then saw Geralt and dropped him, to which the guy was gutted because well... Yennefer is damn beautiful and he won't be getting any of her. All for Geralt tonight :>

In this case it feels pretty artificial to me

Well i only played the game this year, so i witnessed that scene first time, so to me it was just perfectly apart of the game. I liked it anyway. It didn't feel overdone, it's barely 40 seconds long. A shame about Ciri not getting involved but ohh well.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

IF the players were supposed to have enough time to get to know both romance options before making their choice, then why in all heavens does the game force the player to make their choice about Merigold before the player ever traveled to Skellige? It is not uncommon to feel that one should "clean up all lose quests of one area before traveling to the next area", after all. So a lot of people fell in the Merigold trap before ever actually meeting Yen, except those weird short meetings in White Orchard and Vizima - and those weird short meetings were clearly not enough time to get to know the Yen option at all.

Now or Never is triggered by the ending of Get Junior, in the middle of the Novigrad mainquests. That is very much prematurely, if the player was supposed to get to know both options before committing to one. That quest should have been delayed until the end of the Skelllige mainquest line, if Karolina and CDPR really wanted to achieve what she claims.

Both A Matter of Life and Death and Now or Never, along with the sidequests related to Keira, Roche, Dandelion, Zoltan, etc... were originally planned to trigger only in Act 2, when Geralt is gathering allies for the upcoming battle. A Matter of Life and Death would've started only once Geralt ask Triss for help (Brothers in Arms: Novigrad), for example. Maybe Karolina wasn't even aware of this change. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Both A Matter of Life and Death and Now or Never, along with the sidequests related to Keira, Roche, Dandelion, Zoltan, etc... were originally planned to trigger only in Act 2, when Geralt is gathering allies for the upcoming battle. A Matter of Life and Death would've started only once Geralt ask Triss for help (Brothers in Arms: Novigrad), for example. Maybe Karolina wasn't even aware of this change. :unsure:
That wouldn't have been very well done either, because the Brothers in Arms quests start after Last Wish was finished or failed (Yen can't be in 2 places at once). That is, in that case the Yen decision would then have happened before romantically relevant Merigold material happened. That is unfair as well.

Cleanest solution would have been to leave Matter of Life and Death wherever it is. And trigger both Last Wish and Now or Never as soon as Ugly Baby becomes available. With letters and messengers.

In that scenario, all the romance relevant stuff for both of them would be done and just the decision quests remain. And none of the two would appear to have the bias of the developer team by being the first available one - Merigold having just that absolutely unfair advantage by being the first is yet another of the millions of reasons why I am so angry about her. :p In my first playthrough, I would have almost walked right into that Merigold trap, but then went prematurely to Skellige and really actually had the opportunity to get to know both.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

That wouldn't have been very well done either, because the Brothers in Arms quests start after Last Wish was finished or failed (Yen can't be in 2 places at once). That is, in that case the Yen decision would then have happened before romantically relevant Merigold material happened. That is unfair as well.

Cleanest solution would have been to leave Matter of Life and Death wherever it is. And trigger both Last Wish and Now or Never as soon as Ugly Baby becomes available. With letters and messengers.

In that scenario, all the romance relevant stuff for both of them would be done and just the decision quests remain. And none of the two would appear to have the bias of the developer team by being the first available one - Merigold having just that absolutely unfair advantage by being the first is yet another of the millions of reasons why I am so angry about her. :p In my first playthrough, I would have almost walked right into that Merigold trap, but then went prematurely to Skellige and really actually had the opportunity to get to know both.

I don't believe they were being intentionally biased toward any option (the developers are not children, after all). I think the decision was simply made in order to both Yen and Triss have their character arcs uninterrupted, for the story to flow more naturally and that's a very good thing, imo.
Many players may face the choice of romancing Triss or not before even getting to know Yennefer properly and thus end up making a decision they are not satisfied with, but that's still a part of the experience - sometimes often you'll regret the consequences of your actions in your 1st playthrough and it's too late by then to reload. Anyhow, I agree it was weird for Yen to be the one who gets introduced second since she's a new character in the game series. ;)
BTW, you really can't stand Triss, do you?
:sadtriss:

And none of the two would appear to have the bias of the developer team by being the first available one - Merigold having just that absolutely unfair advantage by being the first is yet another of the millions of reasons why I am so angry about her. :p
Anger leads to hate, hate leads to...

You get the gist of it :p

#team4everalone? Yeah, I always knew you guys exist, IIRC Dragonbird was very proud of that choice.

I speak up for that choice when I can. I like both Sorceresses well enough, but I generally dislike both women as permanent mates, for the reasons often given by both "sides" in the debate.

It's not as if not being tied to someone as a life-mate is being alone. I like the idea of Geralt continuing his life after the games, meeting new people and new women, and not, well ending it as it feels when you settle down with a Sorceress.

Ill have to say, im doing my 4th, and probably final W3 run, at least for a few years, ill have to say, it IS a hard choice, im trying to decide it from the begining of my game, and im now getting close to the moment that i will need to decide and i still dont know what to do.

While Triss feels a little better, she definatelly treats Geralt better, and Yen seems to be the forced cannon choice, but as i played both W1 and W2, i cant help but to think Triss is not telling Geralt something, this goes all the way back to W1 that she seems to be using Geralt, and in W2, not only Triss lied to Geralt, his actions and explanations still does not fit to me completely, for example, Triss is not surprised or even ask follow up questions when Geralt reveals to her that Saskia is the dragon, she seems to know it already.

And the final facts that Triss will work as a advisor in Kovir.... mmmm Yen does drop everything to be with Geralt at the end, she even agreed to live in Corvo Vianco.

Last edited:
I speak up for that choice when I can. I like both Sorceresses well enough, but I generally dislike both women as permanent mates, for the reasons often given by both "sides" in the debate.

It's not as if not being tied to someone as a life-mate is being alone. I like the idea of Geralt continuing his life after the games, meeting new people and new women, and not, well ending it as it feels when you settle down with a Sorceress.

Here is something to think about: Geralt is a hundred years old or so. We don't know for sure how long witchers live, but let's take Vesemir as a rough guide and say four to five hundred years. Assuming he doesn't experience a premature death (and if he leads a peaceful life that is not a far-fetched assumption) that means Geralt's going to retire at only 20/25% of his life. For the next 300-400 years, he will be a glorified househusband with no personal occupation, or anything to identify himself by besides his significant other.

EDIT: I would also like to stress that the same is the case for Yennefer. For both characters, it would feel like a very long life very thoroughly wasted.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Here is something to think about: Geralt is a hundred years old or so. We don't know for sure how long witchers live, but let's take Vesemir as a rough guide and say four to five hundred years. Assuming he doesn't experience a premature death (and if he leads a peaceful life that is not a far-fetched assumption) that means Geralt's going to retire at only 20/25% of his life. For the next 300-400 years, he will be a glorified househusband with no personal occupation, or anything to identify himself by besides his significant other.

EDIT: I would also like to stress that the same is the case for Yennefer. For both characters, it would feel like a very long life very thoroughly wasted.

Not necessarily, Geralt owns a vineyard in Toussaint now, which means he can probably earn much more money by producing and selling his wine than doing the witcher's work. The need for a witcher as well as the payment is inflated in the games purely for gameplay purpose, anyway.
So, maybe this occupation is not as thrilling as tracking and hunting monsters, but Geralt in the books really did plan to retire after he rescued Ciri and Yennefer from Vilgefortz and live a peaceful life (which, more or less, is a situation he's in at the end of TW3).

Not necessarily, Geralt owns a vineyard in Toussaint now, which means he can probably earn much more money by producing and selling his wine than doing the witcher's work. The need for a witcher as well as the payment is inflated in the games purely for gameplay purpose, anyway.
So, maybe this occupation is not as thrilling as tracking and hunting monsters, but Geralt in the books really did plan to retire after he rescued Ciri and Yennefer from Vilgefortz and live a peaceful life (which, more or less, is a situation he's in at the end of TW3).

"‘A house?’ Yennefer asked suddenly. ‘What house? Do you have a house?
Do you wish to
build a house? Ah... sorry. I should not...’
He was silent. He was angry with himself.

Thinking about her had inadvertently allowed
her to read the thoughts he harboured about it.
‘A beautiful dream.’ Yennefer lightly stroked his arm. ‘A house. A house built with your own hands and in the house you and me. You would raise horses and sheep, I would take care of the garden, food and Cardaria would weigh the wool that we would take to the market.

From the orens that we would be given from the sale of the wool and various fruits of the
earth we would by everything we need, say a little copper kettle and an iron rake.
Every so often we would visit Ciri with her husband and their three children, sometimes Triss Merigold would come and to be with us for a few days. We could grow old with dignity.

And if I get bored at night you would play the bagpipes made with your own hands. Playing the

bagpipes, as everyone knows is the best remedy for the blues.’
The witcher was silent. The sorceress coughed softly."

:wub: It was even in the Time of Contempt novel, that Geralt dreamed/longed to have his own place, and not be a witcher anymore.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

"‘A house?’ Yennefer asked suddenly. ‘What house? Do you have a house? Do you wish to

build a house? Ah... sorry. I should not...’
He was silent. He was angry with himself. Thinking about her had inadvertently allowed

her to read the thoughts he harboured about it.
‘A beautiful dream.’ Yennefer lightly stroked his arm. ‘A house. A house built with your

own hands and in the house you and me. You would raise horses and sheep, I would take care of the garden, food and Cardaria would weigh the wool that we would take to the market.

From the orens that we would be given from the sale of the wool and various fruits of the
earth we would by everything we need, say a little copper kettle and an iron rake.
Every so often we would visit Ciri with her husband and their three children, sometimes Triss Merigold would come and to be with us for a few days. We could grow old with dignity.

And if I get bored at night you would play the bagpipes made with your own hands. Playing the

:wub: It was even in the Time of Contempt novel, that Geralt dreamed/longed to have his own place, and not be a witcher anymore.

Precisely.
:smiling2:

"‘A beautiful dream.’ Yennefer lightly stroked his arm. ‘A house. A house built with your own hands and in the house you and me. You would raise horses and sheep, I would take care of the garden, food and Cardaria would weigh the wool that we would take to the market....

Poor Geralt. After sleeping rough so long, with his old injuries aching, no wonder he longed for domestic contentment. But don't you think the reality might have palled after a few decades? And don't you think Yennefer is clever enough to know that, so she pours gentle sarcasm over the picture she paints? Really longevity isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am currently at the bit of Tower of the Swallow where Geralt meets Avallac'h. SPOILER if you have not read the book....

'Do you know, Witcher, what the greatest snag of longevity is?'
'No.'
'Sex.'
'What?'
'You heard right. Sex. After almost a hundred years it becomes boring.'

Then he describes humans (but not Witchers nor Sorceresses):
'Your life expectancy is ridiculously low, so your survival depends on the rate of reproduction.
'

Just saying.

Poor Geralt. After sleeping rough so long, with his old injuries aching, no wonder he longed for domestic contentment. But don't you think the reality might have palled after a few decades? And don't you think Yennefer is clever enough to know that, so she pours gentle sarcasm over the picture she paints? Really longevity isn't all it's cracked up to be. I am currently at the bit of Tower of the Swallow where Geralt meets Avallac'h. SPOILER if you have not read the book....

'Do you know, Witcher, what the greatest snag of longevity is?'
'No.'
'Sex.'
'What?'

Then he describes humans (but not Witchers nor Sorceresses):
'Your life expectancy is ridiculously low, so your survival depends on the rate of reproduction.
'

Just saying.

Geralt seems to be doing sex JUST fine after almost 100 years of life. He seems to be fucking very, many women. Yennefer the most. So no need to worry about his sexual... strength? lmao. Yennefer on the other hand has her kinky fetishes, she is good aswell. I think G/Y will be very energetic for the centuries to come.

'Sex.'
'What?'
Yet another reason to stick to the romance option who's of a similar age and thus might at an approximately similar time feel that it's time to turn the relationship into a more or less asexual one - rather than to the immature little girl who still has half a century of need for experimentation ahead of herself.

Poor Geralt. After sleeping rough so long, with his old injuries aching, no wonder he longed for domestic contentment. But don't you think the reality might have palled after a few decades? And don't you think Yennefer is clever enough to know that, so she pours gentle sarcasm over the picture she paints?.

It certainly feels like she does. And it almost reads more like melancholy than sarcasm. I believe it is a case where both people, while longing for normalcy, realize deep down that it is unattainable for them. Because of their lifestyles, personalities, and the reality of the world they live in, they are simply not in line for a "happily ever after" scenario. There is a reason why the books end the way they do, and that is why I would have preferred a less fairytale-like ending in the games, especially if you choose to romance Yennefer.

It didn't feel like sarcasm to me (I mean if you listen to the Polish audiobook sample that is), she added her own views/longins into it and shared them with Geralt.
It is how one person can look at the ending, in my view it did have a happy ending, they both died but now they live on in Avalon aka some kind of paradise and are away from that shitty world, same goes for Ciri. xD

No worries hehe I did read them (Currently in the middle of the lady of the lake ;)

But I feel like we are going a bit off topic atm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom