Yen Or Triss?

+
Yet another reason to stick to the romance option who's of a similar age and thus might at an approximately similar time feel that it's time to turn the relationship into a more or less asexual one - rather than to the immature little girl who still has half a century of need for experimentation ahead of herself.
Well, the way I see it, Triss is pretty much done with experimenting, she had more then enough of that and one of the things that drove her to Geralt was her disillusionment with purely sex based relationships. I feel like what she really wants is a serious commitment and if Geralt chooses her in the game, she pretty much gets that. From BoE:

As far as her erotic life was concerned, Triss Merigold had the right to consider herself a
typical enchantress. It had began with the sour taste of forbidden fruit, made all the more
exciting by the strict rules of the academy and the prohibitions of the mistress under whom
she practised. Then came her independence, freedom and a crazy promiscuity which ended, as
it usually does, in bitterness, disillusionment and resignation. Then followed a long period of
loneliness and the discovery that if she wanted to release her tension and stress then someone
who wanted to consider himself her lord and master - as soon as he had turned on his back
and wiped the sweat from his brow - was entirely superfluous. There were far less
troublesome ways of calming her nerves - ones with the additional advantages of not staining
her towels with blood, not passing wind under the quilt and not demanding breakfast. That
was followed by a short-lived and entertaining fascination with the same sex, which ended in
the conclusion that soiling towels, passing wind and greediness were by no means exclusively
male attributes. Finally, like all but a few magicians, Triss moved to affairs with other
wizards, which proved sporadic and frustrating in their cold, technical and almost ritual
course.
Then Geralt of Rivia appeared. A witcher leading a stormy life, and tied to her good friend
Yennefer in a strange, turbulent and almost violent relationship.

Geralt retiring with Yennefer is not "out of character". It's not a matter of whether he would truly want that or not (because he DID want that). The problem always lied elsewhere - the world and reality surrounding them. This cruel reality (aka Sapkowski hehe) would never let them have this kind of peace. Because "death" would always follow, no matter what. And that is the tragedy of their story. That it's only after their death that they finally get to be together,in serenity and calmness.

So why are there those "happy endings" in the game? The answer is simple - people LIKE happy endings. Those people who claim that they're too "sappy" are in minority. You don't spend 200 hours playing a game, choosing the girl that you like only to get informed that Geralt and said girl have split up after a while.

That it's only after their death that they finally get to be together,in serenity and calmness.

Just want to drop this in here. There is no proof if they died or if they survived, that, like half the other shit in the books, is open to interpretation. However Sapkowski did say in 2007 that they survived so CDPR could make the games.

Just want to drop this in here. There is no proof if they died or if they survived, that, like half the other shit in the books, is open to interpretation. However Sapkowski did say in 2007 that they survived so CDPR could make the games.

Maybe I should put the word "died" in quotation marks ;) They died in "this" world and lived in the other one, that's how I see it. And I'd take what Sapkowski said with a grain of salt as I don't see him revealing such a huge plot thing to anyone. If that's even true, that he said such a thing to cdpr.

It didn't feel like sarcasm to me (I mean if you listen to the Polish audiobook sample that is), she added her own views/longins into it and shared them with Geralt.

So you think Yennefer was serious when she mentioned home-made bagpipes enlivening the evenings? This is Sapkowski's humour - and Yennefer making a point. BTW going back to Triss/Yennefer I don't think Triss would've been any better - probably more boring more quickly, as there would be less conflict to resolve.

So you think Yennefer was serious when she mentioned home-made bagpipes enlivening the evenings? This is Sapkowski's humour - and Yennefer making a point. BTW going back to Triss/Yennefer I don't think Triss would've been any better - probably more boring more quickly, as there would be less conflict to resolve.

Yennefer agree's with Geralt. So she is talking about the stuff they could do together, the bagpipes might not of been serious but the meaning behind it (to live together in happiness) is.

When it comes to the long term prognosis of either girl's ending, I don't really see it lasting "forever". Their long life spans make those kind of predictions complicated. If we assume they'll live a peaceful life, devoid of most dangers, we're talking about centuries. A lot can change during that time, both in the world and inter personal relationships.

With Triss, Tancred will eventually die and who know how the political situation can change in that case. Maybe Kovir gets invaded, maybe it doesn't always remain that mage friendly, a lot can happen that could force them to leave.

With Yen, similar thing, but more importantly, I don't see Geralt and Yen just sitting in the vineyard doing nothing but making vine, making love and bantering for hundreds of years. They both wanted that peace, but 50 years in the future things might get stale and they may want a change.

I'm not saying Geralt would necessarily brake it off with either of the girls, just that their lives are too long for things not to change eventually and that the current version of the happy endings might not last forever.

So you think Yennefer was serious when she mentioned home-made bagpipes enlivening the evenings?

Like @toudis815 said, that is my point.

And here a link to the Polish audio sample (this gives it more depth in my opinion)

[video]https://youtu.be/j0RW1lIeXWM?t=3m49s[/video]

Switch subtitles on, if they don't show up automatically.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any clear mention of a spell, but the man does act as if completely enchanted with her. I suppose you can put it down to anything, perhaps she used a glamour on herself or he simply liked her that much and couldn't figure out why she suddenly threw him aside, but I wouldn't be shocked if a sorceress decided to save herself the trouble of ordinary seduction and just snapped her fingers and got it on. She also tells Geralt that she could snatch another man quite easily if she wanted, which again could mean anything in terms of actual methods.
I've read that part again and I agree with you, also because "snatch" can be intended both for magic and simply flirting.

Attachments

• 20160921221241_1.jpg
    20160921221241_1.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I think that should Geralt and Yen retire it would be unlikely theyd stay out for witcher and politics ( respectively) completly. I have no doubt that anarietta ( assuming that ending would) certainly use the fact that theres a witcher and a sorceress who was emplyed by her cousin the emperor at times.

I think that should Geralt and Yen retire it would be unlikely theyd stay out for witcher and politics ( respectively) completly. I have no doubt that anarietta ( assuming that ending would) certainly use the fact that theres a witcher and a sorceress who was emplyed by her cousin the emperor at times.

Your making an error of judgement. How the fuck is Anarietta going to use them? She is the one who effectively gave them the house to retire in and she has no control over them. She could ask them for sure but assuming that Geralt saved her sister and ofcourse the town from annihiliation, i think she should be paying her respects much deeply now xD

Your making an error of judgement. How the fuck is Anarietta going to use them? She is the one who effectively gave them the house to retire in and she has no control over them. She could ask them for sure but assuming that Geralt saved her sister and ofcourse the town from annihiliation, i think she should be paying her respects much deeply now xD

Geralt and Yennefer can just pack and Yennefer can teleport them somewhere far away from the " beagles might have done a better job" duchess.

No. She will teleport him whether he like it or not. I will do it becouse If I where in her shoes I will not take another whining of Geralt.:pride2:

Well in Skellige she let's him decide about the teleport or not, and she was in a rush. But yeah if she is in a mood, she won't take no for an answer ^^

It overall depends. Last Wish she uses it on him even when he doesn't want to. But for Hindersfjall she let's him decide.

Last edited:

Language aside... Read my post carefully. " using the fact" does not connotate that she will be doing something bad. It just means if some big beastie or threat is around shes wont neccissarily send knights of to fat away nations but might send a messenger to Corvo saying "we have a contract" or "could you help with X".

I think that would be a fairly realistic and fair outcome...

Language aside... Read my post carefully. " using the fact" does not connotate that she will be doing something bad. It just means if some big beastie or threat is around shes wont neccissarily send knights of to fat away nations but might send a messenger to Corvo saying "we have a contract" or "could you help with X".

I think that would be a fairly realistic and fair outcome...

I have no doubt that anarietta ( assuming that ending would) certainly use the fact that theres a witcher and a sorceress who was emplyed by her cousin the emperor at times.

Your comment implied that she would pretty much use them and if they say no she will call on her cousin. Yennefer and Geralt don't work for Emhyr anymore, they never did to begin with. They both used his resources in order to locate and defend Ciri, once completed they both slip out the back door and retire. (Emhyr also agreed to let them go so he won't be after them either)

No what i was saying was that she will out of convenience call upon the witcher and maybe yenneffer. The Emyhr part was in reference that she migjt have heard that Emhyr had a new court sorceress and because of that knowledge from then she may decide to try and use Yennefer.

There is no negative or anything about being forced in what im saying.

Top Bottom