Yen Or Triss?

+
People don't know what they are talking about. That is the simple fact. Ofcourse they will disagree and say they do... but they don't. Not at all.

I was a lucky one. I loved her character straight from the WItcher 3 so when i read the books all the bad things that happened to her in the books or the moments when her and Geralt's relationship was fucked up, or the Golden Dragon quest when she is at first really pissed at seeing Geralt (alhough inside a little happy it must be said, you know that when he rejects her a couple hours later). I read it all knowing that this happened decades ago and this is before Geralt/Yen become the fabled love story that Dandelion would write about in his balleds. Then later on in the books you are rewarded with her changed character, her mother figure, her love for Geralt. Many selfless actions for Geralt but most of all Ciri.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

'Tis funny indeed, especially because, as far as I'm concerned, the problem with Triss in the games is not that she's flawed, but that she's not flawed enough. As a result, she comes across as very generic in TW3 when compared to Yennefer, with whom I feel they took more chances.

I had no serious complains about her in the previous game. TW3 is where, for me, she completely ceased to exist as herself and became overdone and shallow "girl next door" archetype.
Every alteration regarding Triss from TW2 to TW3, from her personality and rhetoric to character model and voice-acting (which now resembles bird chirping more than anything else) seems to be done for the sake of making her younger, sweeter and more innocent-looking. I have no idea why they decided to demean her this way.

Especially when some fans read like first two books and think that's it, never mentioning anything good she did during the saga (especially at the end of the saga) only her flaws...Yennefer is evil and vile...yeah right

anyway I don't personally know anyone who after reading Lady of The Lake would say that Yennefer is egotistical...

Well, at least they read something... It's even funnier when you encounter people who didn't read any of them at all, just someone else's interpretations on Reddit, Tumblr, Wiki, Youtube, etc, but nevertheless feel compelled to comment on the book events. :wacko:
And yes, judging Yennefer's character without taking the events of the last 2 books into the account is a very flawed judgement. The same goes for Triss. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
seems to be done for the sake of making her younger, sweeter and more innocent-looking.

Looks like they tried to show that despite her young age (she is young considering a sorceress' longevity) she had a considerable evolution from W1 and W2 to 3, that would make the decision between Yen and her a little more hard and interesting, somehow even to people who read the books and Yen. That also helps when she definitely looks sorry for what she did during the prequels, not only her conversation with Geralt seems to want to make that pretty clear but also all the feast act when she drinks and falls in his arms, she being tricked in Novigrad right when you meet her, Geralt stopping that couple from taking her precious necklace and etc reinforces this archetype of a "defenseless" immature woman that is trying to get better. That contributes a lot with the idea that she regrets what she did and that she is going through a more "aggressive" evolutional process, while Geralt and Yennefer are older and a lot more set on what regard to their personality and acts. It's easier to accept the mistakes and forgive a young person than a older one. Besides I always had that sensation that Triss needed Geralt more than Yen, like she's more dependent of him (forgetting the ending). After the patches with the additional dialogues, almost 4 playthroughs, a critical vision of the ending and considering the books that changed a lot.

I still sees her as immature, potencially selfish, compared to the mature figures in the game like Yen, Geralt, Phil, Vasemir, Djkstra and etc. That's another reason why I prefer Yen over Triss, Geralt and Yen has almost the same age and both went through that process already. They are in the same page, both wants the same simple and calm lifestyle from now on, both are tired and want to catch some breath while Triss is full of fuel. She is not ready to give up of her dreams for Geralt yet, and I'm not saying she should, but that creates a serious conflict of interests. The player under Geralt's skin needs to consider his perspective, unless he wants to wipe out everything that happened before. Even when I used to hate/misunderstood Yen in the game and was going with Triss without a doubt I realized that conflict. Like I said before, similar interests and similar personalities are strong bonds to get people together.

I can't picture Triss doing simply nothing in White Raven living far away from politics and the high society, just walking and talking with Geralt all day. Yen is a lot more ready to join Geralt in that life. So yeah, I'm almost sure that when she said about going to Kovir she really mean it.

Last edited:
Been on these forums reading for a while now, just never wanted to make an account, until now. These threads, no matter what site always seem to go the same way, it's pretty sad actually. From what I have gathered from here and other sites is that according to 90% of the hardcore annoying book readers (I have read the books) is that someone is automatically and "idiot" or attacked in so many ways just because they choose Triss. In my opinion, these book readers really put a bad name on the rest. Who are you to tell someone is has to be this way and this way only?

The books ended, the games take place years later. Both Yen and Triss have their share of messed up things they have done as well as very good things. Both in the books and in the game. Triss clearly knows she messed up and she clearly really does feel bad for what she did. The game gives you the option of getting back with the love of your life, Yen, or starting a new chapter with Triss. Djinn's spell is broken and depending on how the player wants to look at it, it could very well be a huge part of the choice.

This whole Yen is the only one for Geralt, no one else, they are meant for each other and you are stupid for not seeing it doesn't make sense. To you, Yen is the only one, to someone else she might not be. The way I personally played it was like this. Geralt spent time with Triss, they were in a relationship regardless of how it happened. Geralt clearly felt something towards Triss. Triss grows a whole lot by the Witcher 3. When he remembers Yennifer, of course he's going to go look for her, he does love her and she will always be apart of his life. This is where I changed things up for Geralt. He finally gets to see Yen, talk to Yen and continue on his journey, but he now has feelings for two people. After seeing both, spending time doing quest with both, Geralt decides that he will always do anything for Yen and she will always be the mother of Ciri. They will continue to be friends and care for Ciri and one another but from a romantic stand point, it was time to move on. There were a lot of break ups and cheating between the both of them throughout the years, it was toxic at times. I am seeing it as, Yen is his history while Triss is his future.

With all this said, not all of Triss supporters are innocent nether.

Last edited:
Been on these forums reading for a while now, just never wanted to make an account, until now. These threads, no matter what site always seem to go the same way, it's pretty sad actually. From what I have gathered from here and other sites is that according to 90% of the hardcore annoying book readers (I have read the books) is that someone is automatically and "idiot" or attacked in so many ways just because they choose Triss. In my opinion, these book readers really put a bad name on the rest. Who are you to tell someone is has to be this way and this way only?

The books ended, the games take place years later. Both Yen and Triss have their share of messed up things they have done as well as very good things. Both in the books and in the game. Triss clearly knows she messed up and she clearly really does feel bad for what she did. The game gives you the option of getting back with the love of your life, Yen, or starting a new chapter with Triss. Djinn's spell is broken and depending on how the player wants to look at it, it could very well be a huge part of the choice.

This whole Yen is the only one for Geralt, no one else, they are meant for each other and you are stupid for not seeing it doesn't make sense. To you, Yen is the only one, to someone else she might not be. The way I personally played it was like this. Geralt spent time with Triss, they were in a relationship regardless of how it happened. Geralt clearly felt something towards Triss. Triss grows a whole lot by the Witcher 3. When he remembers Yennifer, of course he's going to go look for her, he does love her and she will always be apart of his life. This is where I changed things up for Geralt. He finally gets to see Yen, talk to Yen and continue on his journey, but he now has feelings for two people. After seeing both, spending time doing quest with both, Geralt decides that he will always do anything for Yen and she will always be the mother of Ciri. They will continue to be friends and care for Ciri and one another but from a romantic stand point, it was time to move on. There were a lot of break ups and cheating between the both of them throughout the years, it was toxic at times. I am seeing it as, Yen is his history while Triss is his future.

With all this said, not all of Triss supporters are innocent nether.

From what I have gathered from here and other sites is that according to 90% of the hardcore annoying book readers (I have read the books) is that someone is automatically and "idiot" or attacked in so many ways just because they choose Triss.

Yes there are fanatical fans on both sides, but I think a lot of the book readers feel (or "know") that Geralt wouldn't choose anyone besides Yennefer. Does Geralt ever find out about Triss' actions in the last two books? Would he ever trust her (do the games even adress that topic)? Let's not even start on the Last Wish (yes, CDPR had to retconn it to allow the players to separate from Yenn and no it didn't force them to love each other.) Having said that, I'm happy CDPR allowed the branches in the story to derive from player choices.

Personally, I didn't like the direction Triss' characterization was taken in W3, and the onus was on CDPR to have done a better job. Maybe it's herself semi-one dimensional attitude, and bright cheerful character, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb in a world where it's dark and cynical. Triss finally grew up at the end of the books; helping Yennefer after seeing the error of her ways. What happened to her in W1 and W2—why is she even involved with the Lodge?

To you, Yen is the only one, to someone else she might not be. The way I personally played it was like this. Geralt spent time with Triss, they were in a relationship regardless of how it happened. Geralt clearly felt something towards Triss.
That's the RPG magic, I don't think anyone complained about this, as some may point out.

---------- Updated at 11:23 PM ----------

Yes there are fanatical fans on both sides, but I think a lot of the book readers feel (or "know") that Geralt wouldn't choose anyone besides Yennefer. Does Geralt ever find out about Triss' actions in the last two books? Would he ever trust her (do the games even adress that topic)? Let's not even start on the Last Wish (yes, CDPR had to retconn it to allow the players to separate from Yenn and no it didn't force them to love each other.) Having said that, I'm happy CDPR allowed the branches in the story to derive from player choices.

Personally, I didn't like the direction Triss' characterization was taken in W3, and the onus was on CDPR to have done a better job. Maybe it's herself semi-one dimensional attitude, and bright cheerful character, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb in a world where it's dark and cynical. Triss finally grew up at the end of the books; helping Yennefer after seeing the error of her ways. What happened to her in W1 and W2—why is she even involved with the Lodge?
Thing is, while I feel CDPR did generally a good job in portraying some characters they also... uhm used a time machine and brought some characters back to 20 years prior. It's just a feeling, I don't know if someone else share it.

---------- Updated at 11:39 PM ----------

Yen was at least... Honest lol. Judt because someone is portrayed realistically ie flawed doesnt mean they are bad.
Honest when she was fucking a douchebag sorcerer and explaining to Geralt he should piss off because emotional baggage. That was the moment for me. It was like ok, I know people like you, and I hate people like you.

Sapkowski is a mad genius.
She was honest indeed as she did wrong and clearly told him how she would have done it and why. Shard of Ice tl;dr is very much like "I have an emotional deficency, and I cannot be helped, stop following me because I cannot give you love back" (Ice Queen legend etc---) so at the end of the story (ehehe) her character comes out in bad shape, like really bad shape, especially after...

...Where's that meme...

*10 minutes after*

Jokes aside, it's really the crucial point where both character changes. I reread this story after 4 years and have to say I've found it way more enjoyable. I didn't understand quite much the first time. But anyway, it's really understandable why readers won't feel sympathy for Yennefer after that (who would?), if you can separate simpathy from character development from the author's part. This impression got stuck in my head even after reading Blood of Elves, even if you can easily realize something has changed from the first dialogues with Dandelion.

But I'm going too far now, this isn't the topic for discussing books. :turned: However we are in Yen vs Triss topic... so speaking of Yennefer book character quoting only half of her development (sympathy for the fictional character is not really the point then here) is like remembering Triss only for her disadventures in the bushes rather than also for her saving Geralt's life in Thanedd.

(or other events...)

Last edited:
I will say though, it did kill me to tell Yen I do not love her anymore. I know that if I went back and picked Yen this time, it will kill me to not romance Triss as well though.

:/

---------- Updated at 12:47 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Turb0wned
I had the choice to pick and just felt that Triss would be the one that ultimately Gerlat should be with.

Feel free to think that, this is an RPG, entitled to all your own aspirations and thoughts. But Geralt of Rivia, from the books, would never choose Triss over Yen. Feel free to disagree. But Sapkowski ultimately wrote Geralt and Yennefer, Not Geralt and Triss. So Geralt, Sapkowski's character, would chose Yen. but... Like i said. Your free to your opinion (since this is sadly an RPG game that although it's very good, completely shits on all the lore and so when you try and argue about the lore people get very salty :/)

But enough about this pointless argument that has been going on for years. I just don't like Triss at all. How anyone can say what they say about her (innocent, lovely, charming) when she betrayed, manipulated and abused the trust of her friends throughout the books and the games...

I just personally feel like

I

Good. You said I, not He.

But Sapkowski ultimately wrote Geralt and Yennefer, Not Geralt and Triss. So Geralt, Sapkowski's character, would chose Yen. but... Like i said. Your free to your opinion (since this is sadly an RPG game

That's actually a very interesting situation and another aspect that makes Witcher 3 a unique game. At the same time that he is a multi choice based game open to players own choices/opinions, the game gives you the freedom to do whatever you want and feels that Geralt would do (or not, even knowing the lore you can play considering your own life and experiences erasing Geralt's personality), the game is a direct continuation from 7 books which they developed and stablished each single one of the characters and the lore. Geralt is Geralt, he has a personality and the baggage that he caries from the past.

I personally can't play thinking that are different things like I use to think in the past, to me it follows the same natural line from The Last Wish to the BAW dlc. Maybe that was an eco from Witcher 1 where CDPR really did a bad move wiping all his past and setting Triss as his romantic pair, terminating Yen and Ciri. Triss change of personality and looks over the three games points to that, she definetly was the most stratched character, mostly if you consider the first game. If you think only in the second and third one it makes more sense and her changing can be interpreted as an evoltion. But finishing with Triss' option on Witcher 3 to get back to the lore friendly Geralt wouldn't be a good move either, though it would make much more sense considering the whole thing as one.

Honestly, I feel maybe I shouldn't have joined or commented at all. It just proves my point that everywhere you look on the internet, hardcore book guys start with their , since I read the books, I know it all and Yen is the only choice, it could never happen any other way. Seriously, people have different views and opinions, some like me, even after reading the books still believe Triss is a better person for Geralt. That doesn't mean i'm going to attack someone because they picked Yen. I love Yen's character as well.

I miss the Triss from W1. In the following two, she turned into a little girl. One woman from the series that always fascinated me was Fringilla, but that would make zero sense.

miss the Triss from W1. In the following two, she turned into a little girl. One woman from the series that always fascinated me was Fringilla, but that would make zero sense.

I prefer her in the second. She seems more like a "witcher character" in the first game, in the second one she still has that interesting and misterious thing but you can see she is changing, in the third looks like she came out of a fairytale.

I have gathered from here and other sites is that according to 90% of the hardcore annoying book readers (I have read the books) is that someone is automatically and "idiot" or attacked in so many ways just because they choose Triss

Honestly, I feel maybe I shouldn't have joined or commented at all. It just proves my point that everywhere you look on the internet, hardcore book guys start with their , since I read the books, I know it all and Yen is the only choice, it could never happen any other way.

Even hardcore book guys can have opinion and their choice in the game is also valid...they can think that Yen is only choice like you can think that Triss is better choice for your Geralt ...if you are registering on the forum to call that 90% book readers are annoying I can also said something similar about Triss fans who are hurt everytime when someone said something not nice about Triss...what is your point again?

Guess you decided to to leave out the part where I said "With all this said, not all of Triss supporters are innocent nether.."

When did I ever say book fans can't have an opinion? Never said that, actually I said anyone can choose what they want. What I'm saying is that overtime someone says the name Triss, you get most of the book guys treating books as if they were some kind of holy scripture. You get this, I read the books so I know everything and you don't know shit, Geralt would never pick anyone but Yen and you are wrong for picking Triss. Get out of here with that shit. Its a book and a game, you are given the option as a player of the game to decide what Geralts future is and should be with. For all you know, his time with Triss made him realize he doesn't want to continue to be in an unstable relationship.

Both Triss and Yen have fucked up in the past. Ether way, doesn't matter, you picked Yen, great, you picked Triss, great as well. You said, screw them both, thats fine to.

Last edited:
Both Triss and Yen have fucked up in the past. Ether way, doesn't matter, you picked Yen, great, you picked Triss, great as well. You said, screw them both, thats fine to.

Yeah, but you don't seem to understand this hardcore book thing.

hardcore book guys start with their

The books are the only 100% universally accepted canon, sure i consider the games canon aswell, but many people don't, so what i can say is, the books are all that matters for sure at the moment. In the books, Geralt and Yennefer is all that matter. So that is why we "hardcore book followers" defend Yen so vigorously, because she is the one that is the main love story, they are the ones with the deep and passionate and turbulent history. For the games CDPR had to write a bunch of shit just to add emphasis and a back story to this new Geralt/Triss romance they conjured out their arse.

As long as people can try to accept that G/Y is the lore-friendly option. Im not actually to bothered if you prefer Triss. I just get tilted when i read comments with people saying "Im so happy to see Geralt finally getting his happy ending with Triss" i literally hard-stroke to the ground.

For the games CDPR had to write a bunch of shit just to add emphasis and a back story to this new Geralt/Triss romance they conjured out their arse.

As long as people can try to accept that G/Y is the lore-friendly option. Im not actually to bothered if you prefer Triss. I just get tilted when i read comments with people saying "Im so happy to see Geralt finally getting his happy ending with Triss" i literally hard-stroke to the ground.
Games, that's the point.

But what's the point in being bothered, books and games are two separate media, RPGs let you choose, I think that "Im so happy to see Geralt finally getting his happy ending with Triss" is just the outcome of that choice, when not talking of fanatics.

Many people also say Fringilla would have been an easier choice for the game, but there's no way she could have been called by witchers in Kaer Morhen.

The books are the only 100% universally accepted canon, sure i consider the games canon aswell, but many people don't, so what i can say is, the books are all that matters for sure at the moment. In the books, Geralt and Yennefer is all that matter. So that is why we "hardcore book followers" defend Yen so vigorously, because she is the one that is the main love story, they are the ones with the deep and passionate and turbulent history. For the games CDPR had to write a bunch of shit just to add emphasis and a back story to this new Geralt/Triss romance they conjured out their arse.

Thing is, canon Geralt died at the end of LotL. Nothing in the games is canon to the books, Sapkowski clearly said that. If you're so fanatical about canon then you should respect that. But for whatever reason, you just want to be validated for making the "right" choices in a game where the "right" choices don't exist. When playing games, what happens in them is equally relevant as anything from the books for me. So when it comes to making decisions as TW3 Geralt, it's books + TW1 + TW2 + TW3 for me, not books + TW3.

And I do in fact enjoy Geralt's well deserved happy ending with Triss and there is nothing wrong with that. There is a reason Triss is in the games and CDPR didn't conjured it out of their ass, they did a great job establishing her as one of the main romance options throughout the trilogy. She is in every game and has the most screen time after Geralt. I can only say I'm glad CDPR doesn't have people like you making the decisions, otherwise we would have an on rail story and reduced player agency, something that would go against the very core of an RPG. You even said in one of your posts that this is sadly an RPG game.

I consider all choices offered by the game creators to be valid and want all of them to be recognized and respected. Each player's choice, no matter if I personally like it or not. You just want your choices to be considered as such. I think that's a rather selfish way of looking at things. As long as you get to choose what you like, why do you even care that other people choose to enjoy the game differently. The game should offer every person an immersive, enjoyable experience.

And the conditioning is ridiculous, you accept people liking Triss as long as they agree with your way of seeing things. You are of course fully entitled to holding that opinion, but sorry, people can enjoy the books, games, Geralt, Yen, Triss any way they see fit and with whatever reasoning they find appropriate. If that triggers you, that's your problem I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom