Yen Or Triss?

+
I agree, I think that even in a hypothetical scenario of Geralt going to Kovir with Triss and Yen ending up in some type of danger needing his help, he would go to her without thinking twice. Same way I believe he would help Triss even if he retires to Toussaint. The way I see Geralt and how I like to play him is as a man who cares about few people, but for the ones he does care about, he would do anything..

This is what I have been saying. Just because he chooses Triss, doesn't mean he doesn't care for Yen and wouldn't do anything for her. He will always care about her, they went through so much in the past. Where I feel things are different if from a romantic standpoint. I think Geralt is more at peace with Triss, without the constant fighting, breakups and so on.

All your post pretty much hit the nail on the head to me.

What gets me the most is people's black and white view on this, things like Its only Yen! Can never be anyone else for Geralt.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, this is nothing unusual for a sorceress, Yennefer is anomaly in this regard. Why is it such a bad thing, anyway? She's smart, well educated and pretty, she worked hard on becoming a powerful and respected mage and she wants to be in a position of power just like almost all of her colleagues.

I would have no problem with that, if Geralt didn't hate politics, high society, a wealthy lifestyle and etc. He's been raised as a simple man living with the minimum, that's how he is and how he dreams for his future. I see a huge conflict of interestst there. About he being involved, well that's arguable. But being married to a person deeply involved in politics won't affect you at any range and circumstance? Maybe not directly, but of course it will somehow. Plus Geralt is not some random fisher or somebody who will be forget soon. He is a powerfull witcher, a killing machine and is known for being involved in politics in the past. A valuable tool on a war or political plot. Just take Letho (he's one of my favourite characters btw!!!) for an example, that dude brought hell on northern kingdoms.

---------- Updated at 11:06 PM ----------

What I like about her that even if she is much more enjoyable (at least for me) she still has many flaws. But she's really trying to be someone better.

Agree with that, she really is trying hard and seems sorry for what she did in the past. But the Kovir's thing was her chance to start from scratch with Geralt/me and she failed. Like you said, she was probably afraid, but what matters is to be 100% honest with the person you love. If she simply have consulted Geralt before making the commitment and buying a house, I would understand her reasons and as I'm playing an in loved Geralt I would agree with that. Even knowing that this is not what I wanted for my life, but when you love someone you are ready to do this kind of sacrifice. As I was to do for her, if she have changed. The fact that Geralt had to insist bothered me a lot to be honest.

---------- Updated at 11:18 PM ----------

Is it that much of a stretch to imagine this version of Geralt could learn to tolerate politics and high society for the sake of being with Triss?

That is actually a good question and I understand your point. In my opinion, there is a lot of contradictions with this version of him, but it's not impossible to happen. I would be willing to believe that this version is more possible if his affair with Triss was 100% honest and a true love story. Like we know it is not. The very dna of this new relationship between them is wrong, as it starts from an amnesic state.

If she have told him about Yen (and Ciri), the things she did for him and what he did for her, and if he was impassioned for Triss even after that would be a lot more natural to me. But knowing Geralt as I believe I do, he would drop that "king's witcher" bull crap and would run after Yen and Ciri without thinking twice. Triss probably know that.

Last edited:
This is what I have been saying. Just because he chooses Triss, doesn't mean he doesn't care for Yen and wouldn't do anything for her. He will always care about her, they went through so much in the past. Where I feel things are different if from a romantic standpoint. I think Geralt is more at peace with Triss, without the constant fighting, breakups and so on.
I agree, the way I play Geralt, he will always have a special place for Yen in his heart.

I get the same impression as you from Geralt and Triss' relationship, there is a certain peace, calmness and general happiness I see in him and the way he interacts with Triss. He even tells Ciri how he finally feels like things are the way they're supposed to be. That dialogue really goes in line with how I see the two of them together.

I agree, the way I play Geralt, he will always have a special place for Yen in his heart.

I get the same impression as you from Geralt and Triss' relationship, there is a certain peace, calmness and general happiness I see in him and the way he interacts with Triss. He even tells Ciri how he finally feels like things are the way they're supposed to be. That dialogue really goes in line with how I see the two of them together.

Yes, I posted that quote in the Triss thread, but it was deleted. I believe it went like this..."With Yen is was fight after fight, lots of arguments and drama. Not saying it was bad but, got to be exhausting. With Triss, it's not, I finally feel harmony. A calm. Feel like things are they way they're supposed to be."

That right there is exactly how I see his relationship with Yen and with Triss. :smiling2::faith:

If she have told him about Yen (and Ciri), the things she did for him and what he did for her, and if he was impassioned for Triss even after that would be a lot more natural to me. But knowing Geralt as I believe I do, he would drop that "king's witcher" bull crap and would run after Yen and Ciri without thinking twice. Triss probably know that.

Remember that Geralt in Witcher 1 says that he's not ready to talk about his past. To be honest this part is a really incosistent. In one hand he doesn't want to, yet he asks some people if they could restore his memory. It's not like he wouldn't learn something from his past form Triss, Shani, Zoltan, Dandelion, or even Munro. It's like with Yennefer's amnesia. Mages restore her memory, so why Triss can't restore his? You see, I'm not using it as argument because one could never be sure if writers with so much work to do overlooked this. So it's hard to argue who's fault is it when it comes to "hiding" past from Geralt. About "king's witcher" bull crap. Of course Geralt would drop it for searching Yen and Ciri but still it have nothing to do with Triss. It's not like she wanted this from him. He's becoming one with either Shani or Triss being romanced. But I understand your points. We have what we have and it depends how each individual will interprent certain events.

What gets me the most is people's black and white view on this, things like Its only Yen! Can never be anyone else for Geralt.

I definitely agree. It's sad and unfair but even great love can fall apart. One can argue what was Geralt's last wish. I don't belive it was love, rather their destinies intertwined. So they meant to bump in each other even after their break ups. We can only speculate what would happen after another quarrel or two with djinn wish removed. Anyway my Geralt even if he's not romancing Yen he's still her loyal friend.

I would have no problem with that, if Geralt didn't hate politics, high society, a wealthy lifestyle and etc. He's been raised as a simple man living with the minimum, that's how he is and how he dreams for his future.
---------- Updated at 11:06 PM ----------

I actually can't imagine Yennefer enjoying too 'simple' a life - she demands luxury at all times and wouldn't be happy with the minimum that satisfies Geralt. (Maybe Triss too would want more luxury although she is used to hardship - certainly in the books when she and Geralt travelled together and she was so ill he had to carry her into the woods to go to the toilet etc). I actually think Geralt needs to spend some time alone, in his old lifestyle, after so many decades of living under the stars. Maybe with a comfy place to go back to whenever he wants (eg Corvo Bianco).

We can only speculate what would happen after another quarrel or two with djinn wish removed.

CDPR writers will burn in hell for bringing this wish thing to live.

I actually can't imagine Yennefer enjoying too 'simple' a life - she demands luxury at all times and wouldn't be happy with the minimum that satisfies Geralt.
No one is saying that they have to live in a hut. I think corvo bianco will be fine for her

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Hmm last time I checked in Lady of The Lake book Yen made love with Geralt on a sheepskin on the ground....how exactly she demands luxury all the time?

Well, in the game she traded sheepskin for the unicorn, that's definitely a luxury. :laughing:
Seriously though, I've read this thing about Yennefer and avarice several times already from several different people, never got to understand what are they referencing exactly.

Well, in the game she traded sheepskin for the unicorn, that's definitely a luxury. :laughing:
Seriously though, I've read this thing about Yennefer and avarice several times already from several different people, never got to understand what are they referencing exactly.

Geralt makes a comment about Yennefer's love of luxury in the game. But then again Geralt also seems convinced that politics and plots are "her life", so who knows anymore?

Guest 3847602

Geralt makes a comment about Yennefer's love of luxury in the game. But then again Geralt also seems convinced that politics and plots are "her life", so who knows anymore?

Oh, I remember now, he did say something of a sort when he entered her room at the inn. But, like you said - it's still a second-hand information, she doesn't exhibit it herself. Not like her room looks particularly ostentatious, either. It's the same about politics being her life.

Yeah, the NPCs (and Geralt) often seem confused.

Just for example, I was doing Witches of Crookback Bog yesterday and couldn't help but to notice once again that the kids or Johnny were quite confused about things as well.

- Some kid had been told by Johnny about his encounter with the ashen-haired lass.
- Johnny himself, however, had been mute at this point.

I guess he might have communicated non-verbally with the kid, using gestures and facial expressions - though he then deserves a lot of cookie points for getting the detail about the hair colour over so well.

;)

Back to the Yen vs Merigold topic though: Yeah, contradicting information about things, such as in the example above, make the construction of your personal reality / canon even more subjective than it might be with coherent information. Hence more of the "I am right!" "No, you're wrong" back and forth.

Last edited:
You know it is funny how some fans forgetting like half books...mentioning how Triss is used to hardship because she was sick in Blood of Elves...poor girl indeed.

I guess Yennefer used to luxury when she was being tortured and beaten by Vilgefortz for months in dark dungeons...fancy Yen:wine:

Triss is used to hardship because she was sick in Blood of Elves...poor girl indeed.

That is an amusing comment indeed. If Triss shitting in the woods once had made her used to hardship, then I must be a fucking martyr, having done it dozens of times on extended hiking trips. It's even more amusing when you think that both of these women have been through wars, they've been injured and left mentally and physically scarred, they've been imprisoned, tortured, and have risked their lives numerous times, and yet a bout of diarrhea has hardened one more than the other.

But seriously speaking, no ordinary person would willingly put up with the miserable witcher "lifestyle", let alone a sorceress. Not even witchers seem thrilled about the prospect of sleeping in ditches and trying to make ends meet by haggling with various douchebags and illiterate louts, so accusing either Yennefer or Triss of being spoiled and selfish because they're not about that life is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Remember that Geralt in Witcher 1 says that he's not ready to talk about his past.

Yeah, I do. And Geralt was right in not wanting to hear from his past like that, would be a terrible experience remember people you hold dear without any affection for them. But still, before jumping in the bed with him her duty was to tell about that woman who died (or was possibly alive) for him not long ago, and that they have a daughter together who is lost somewhere. Geralt liking or not, but Yennefer was a great friend of Triss and she is a sister figure to Ciri. She owed that to them. I see like that at least, to me would be the right thing to do. That with the fact she didn't tried to know what happened to Yen (just like Geralt did years after, with Vesemir) harmed their new relationship from the beggining, in my opinion. Yeah, probably she didn't knew that her friend was alive, but she didn't tried to know what happened and Yen contacted the Lodge, the circle of sorceresses that Triss was participating and was in constant contact, to aquire informations about Ciri.

But like I said before, I would leave that behind playing as a Geralt who is in love for her even with the conflict of interests. But then when she finaly get the chance to do things right and be completely honest with him she spoiled the opportunity, afraid it or not. At least to my experience, I see sincerity as the essencial aspect of any healthy relationship. So I never went through that feeling that she was always keeping Geralt out of something. Exactly that feeling I felt all along W2.

I actually can't imagine Yennefer enjoying too 'simple' a life

Yeah, she would have some, specially her perfumes, clothes and etc. She is rich (she provided money for Geralt indirectly without his knowledge, to give him a more comfortable life) and a sorceress after all. But I don't see that being that essential to her, specially if she is with Geralt. Plus I'm talking about the whole context: high society, politics, courts, servants, feasts etc. Yen says that she wants to live in a simple place just with him, far from everything and everyone. That fits a lot better to his character, to me.

---------- Updated at 10:47 PM ----------

Seems the war shifted over to Youtube comments.

The ignorance on Youtube comments section is stupendous, believe me.

Last edited:
Pragmatic, charming and lovely as always.

Geralt: "What then? A small, secluded hut with a flower garden to tend to?"

Yennefer: "Why not? If that is what you dream of?"

That's the difference I always talk about and that I enjoyed so much experiencing Yen's romance.

Top Bottom